[OP]
Dec 14, 2007
136 posts
2 upvotes

Dalhousie offers 'emergency hijab kits' for women facing violence on campus

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/dalhousie-off ... 00014.html

CBC CBCNovember 28, 2017

Dalhousie offers 'emergency hijab kits' for women facing violence on campusView photos
More
Dalhousie University is now offering "emergency hijab kits" to women who need a replacement, amid reports of Muslim students being attacked for their religion and having their headdresses yanked off.

The president of the Dalhousie Student Union said she knows a number of women on campus who have told her they were victims of such violence, although few decide to tell school officials.

"This is a proactive measure, but it's not unfounded," Amina Abawajy said.

Anyone who quickly needs a new hijab can call Dalhousie security services, which will deliver a kit to them anywhere on campus. The kits include a piece of fabric, pins, a small guide on how to wrap the hijab and important numbers for reporting such crimes.

The Dalhousie Student Union and Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group are behind the project, which was launched after many students said they were concerned for their safety following the shooting earlier this year at a Quebec City mosque.

"We were hearing a lot of concerns, specifically from Muslim women wearing the hijab, so we responded by creating this emergency hijab kit," Abawajy said.

The kit was introduced about a week ago and includes tips for bystanders who witness a woman having her hijab pulled off. No incidents of violence have been reported.

Abawajy said she previously was told of cases on campus and off.

"I don't know if they have been necessarily reported, but just by being a member of the Muslim community, people have come to me and let me know."

Another aim of the kits is to help people become more aware of violence faced by women who wear hijabs, according to Clark MacIntosh, a co-ordinator with the Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group.

"Our hope is that by having these replacement head coverings available, students might feel more comfortable reporting crimes against them," MacIntosh said.

Abawajy started wearing the hijab when she was in Grade 9 and said she has experienced Islamophobia growing up in Halifax.

"Walking down the streets, I have people telling me not to bomb them and to go home," she said.

She also said she still has people who welcome her to Canada, even though she was born in this country.

"It seems innocent and welcoming, but what that says is that you don't look like you could be Canadian."

Positive feedback

The kits are available at the Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group office, Dalhousie Student Union information desk and 24/7 through Dal Security.

"I already heard a lot of positive feedback from the community, and personally I do feel safe knowing that these are in places such as security," Abawajy said.

There has also been demand for the kits from various faculties at the university that have asked they be available in their buildings.

"We are excited that communities are stepping up and ensuring that Muslims are feeling safe," Abawajy said.
I give up.
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5333 posts
923 upvotes
I dont know if it is/ was the same in Canada but in England when I went to university it was openly Jewish students who were taegetted ironically enough usually by Muslim students.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

Ole Gunnar IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10127 posts
1215 upvotes
how many "hijab yanked" incident was there Dalhousie last year?

how many since the school was founded?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5944 posts
2407 upvotes
Aurora
Does anyone have an emergency underwear kit? I just had some leakage from laughing so hard. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18179 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
rb wrote: I dont know if it is/ was the same in Canada but in England when I went to university it was openly Jewish students who were taegetted ironically enough usually by Muslim students.
That still happens. When I was growing up in Mississauga there wasn't a big minority population (at that time), but the Muslim guys at my high school would still do things like throw eggs at Jewish people's houses. The problems start small but get bigger as populations increase.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1683 posts
1200 upvotes
Ottawa
If you want substantiated examples of violence against students because of their faith, read about the Jewish students that were constantly targeted by the Muslim students at York. Until there are confirmed reports of hijabs being forcibly removed from Muslim women, this whole plan is just virtue-signalling.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12223 posts
8859 upvotes
%s
Sounds like pure propaganda to me. Anyone with any sense would carry pepper spray rather than a spare garment. Heck, push come to shove, I rather walk home nacked knowing I pepper-sprayed an aggressor rather than be a laughing stock and simply pull out a spare garment.

Srsly, ppl get victimized more for wearing glasses than a hijab, why not offer an ocular kit for such victims? Glasses can be more expensive to replace than hijabs.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9721 posts
619 upvotes
That is a good idea. Muslims are being targeted right now by you know who.

Specially right now that the climate of hate is hot.

They need all the help that they can get.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23686 posts
2882 upvotes
Montreal
iflyplanes wrote: If you want substantiated examples of violence against students because of their faith, read about the Jewish students that were constantly targeted by the Muslim students at York. Until there are confirmed reports of hijabs being forcibly removed from Muslim women, this whole plan is just virtue-signalling.
As it stands, Jews still suffer more hate crime incidents in Canada, but the gap is fast narrowing:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3523535/hate ... da-muslim/

Being Black is still more hazardous than anything.

As for hijab yanking, the best defense is a swift kick in the nuts.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Does anyone have an emergency underwear kit? I just had some leakage from laughing so hard. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
LOL ...
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
208 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Sounds like pure propaganda to me. Anyone with any sense would carry pepper spray rather than a spare garment. Heck, push come to shove, I rather walk home nacked knowing I pepper-sprayed an aggressor rather than be a laughing stock and simply pull out a spare garment.

Srsly, ppl get victimized more for wearing glasses than a hijab, why not offer an ocular kit for such victims? Glasses can be more expensive to replace than hijabs.
clearly.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12223 posts
8859 upvotes
%s
kevindurant1 wrote: That is a good idea. Muslims are being targeted right now by you know who.

Specially right now that the climate of hate is hot.

They need all the help that they can get.
You know that if Muslims had a majority, their policies wouldn't align with your political views?

You'd be given dirty looks for eating in public during fasting hours, you'd be frowned upon for openly promoting weed, gay rights, etc. You seek to defend a minority group who isn't the most persecuted in Western society who'd never return you the favour.

I'm by no means dismissing aggression towards hijabi women, but equipping them with a replacement hijab doesn't hurt the aggressor and they're doesn't do squat. It's just a publicity stunt.
mr_raider wrote:
As it stands, Jews still suffer more hate crime incidents in Canada, but the gap is fast narrowing:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3523535/hate ... da-muslim/

Being Black is still more hazardous than anything.

As for hijab yanking, the best defense is a swift kick in the nuts.
+1 to the swift kick

Although my first pick would be pepper spray
sandeeS wrote: clearly.
:lol: No pun intended? @sandeeS that's the funniest comment I've read from you yet :D
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3093 posts
458 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
rb wrote: I dont know if it is/ was the same in Canada but in England when I went to university it was openly Jewish students who were taegetted ironically enough usually by Muslim students.
this happened a lot at York 10 years ago. frankly I'm surprised Jews even bother with York anymore. it's a lost cause.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
208 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:

:lol: No pun intended? @sandeeS that's the funniest comment I've read from you yet :D
LOL. You pun I pun. You Assume I Assume. Life goes on.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
208 upvotes
eldeejay wrote: this happened a lot at York 10 years ago. frankly I'm surprised Jews even bother with York anymore. it's a lost cause.
so true. I always hated YorkU for that. Its going on for years right? And their campus sucks. so depressing and bland.