Students

Dalhousie University vs Mohawk College

[OP]
Oct 17, 2013
15 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton

Dalhousie University vs Mohawk College

hello. I think this is my first time posting in this website, anyway.
I am currently student at Mohawk for electrical engineering tech I still have two more years to graduate the school.
In my first year college, I did very well in the school (overall GPA 93%) Indeed I also got hired by school for teaching student to the first year students.
The thing is I have recently got offered from Dalhousie University Engineering. It makes me think a lot whether I should take the university or not.
Due to college is better than University when it comes to finding job (That's what I've heard about :?: ), I went college.
However, some college students say that they should have gone University since they couldn't get any job after their schooling.

I don't actually don't know what I should do. :(
I am pretty sure Dalhousie has very good reputation in terms of Health Science and Business school, and Mohawk engineering is very well known in Ontario too. :|

If you guys were me, What would you guys choose?

Plus, here is summary for people who don't have time.
Stay in college (will have a job in the school, better to find job in Ontario after graduate, don't have to leave Ontario, can graduate two years earlier than uni)
vs
Going to University (should give up school job and should live in Halifax which is very far from here)
15 replies
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1482 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Mohawk is well known in engineering? I can only say that about UWaterloo and Toronto.

Choose whatever has co-op option. If both don't have co-op option, i'll try to transfer to real engineering school in ontario that has co-op.
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
208 upvotes
Iceland
Go to Dalhousie or finish your diploma and do a bridging program at Lakehead for example.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2014 2:48 am
oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Dec 8, 2013
12 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Co-op is very important when it comes to getting a job, be sure to take advantage of it!

College is better at getting students a job when it comes to certain fields. For example, a lot of arts students I know have difficulty finding employment out of university, and require a college post-grad afterwards to focus themselves. However, for the more technical fields (engineering and computer science come to mind) a university education may be more advantageous.

I wouldn't say Mohawk is well known in Ontario ... let alone well respected for engineering? The pros of going to Dalhousie would be the more technical understanding of topics AND graduating from an accredited engineering program (Mohawk's will not be accredited).
[OP]
Oct 17, 2013
15 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
Yes. Dalhousie has coop too.
Dal has three terms and Mohawk has four terms.
However, is there any disadvantage from attending school out of Ontario in terms of getting job in Ontario?
Dec 8, 2013
12 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
There should not be any disadvantage between attending any school within Canada when you're looking for a job in Ontario. What it comes down to for engineers is the type of degree you receive, and an accredited university degree is leaps and bounds better than graduating from a college program.
Jun 10, 2015
276 posts
58 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
RyanS735 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2015 10:42 pm
I am pretty sure Dalhousie has very good reputation in terms of Health Science and Business school, and Mohawk engineering is very well known in Ontario too. :|
)
LMAO What? Anyone die when they hear this? Mohawk college isn't even well known in Ontario, let known for Engineering. The "Engineering" degree you will get from college will get you a job as an electrician. If you want to be a real engineer, go to a University.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2013
15 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
mmm, I meant engineering technology. Frankly speaking, three years college course does not make a technician. there is a technologist instead of it.
By the way, You don't really have to be sarcastic of I wrote. :(
it could be wrong that I have heard. though
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1077 posts
242 upvotes
Antarctica
If you want to be an engineer, go to an Engineering program offered by a university.

If you want to be an engineer but try taking an easier path through a college without upgrading that diploma later on, have fun working as a low level grunt unless you get very lucky.

Also, most good engineering schools don't even care about 3 year college advanced diplomas (U of T/Waterloo/McMaster/ heck even Ryerson denied transfer credits for electronics engineering technology in my case) so it is a waste of time.

Don't want to work as an engineer or like the hands on work more? Go for an apprenticeship. Much better than college "engineering tech" crap.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2013
15 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
Crichtonfan wrote:
Jun 30th, 2015 9:03 pm
If you want to be an engineer, go to an Engineering program offered by a university.

If you want to be an engineer but try taking an easier path through a college without upgrading that diploma later on, have fun working as a low level grunt unless you get very lucky.

Also, most good engineering schools don't even care about 3 year college advanced diplomas (U of T/Waterloo/McMaster/ heck even Ryerson denied transfer credits for electronics engineering technology in my case) so it is a waste of time.

Don't want to work as an engineer or like the hands on work more? Go for an apprenticeship. Much better than college "engineering tech" crap.
The thing that I can transfer is that I went University back home. After I moved here, I thought college would be better to get jobs. Anyway, thanks for letting me know about apprenticeship.
Aug 7, 2011
139 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
RyanS735 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2015 11:41 pm
The thing that I can transfer is that I went University back home. After I moved here, I thought college would be better to get jobs. Anyway, thanks for letting me know about apprenticeship.
It depends on the program. While many university graduates (particularly those who are in arts and science programs) are better off going to college, for engineering, computer science and nursing, it is better to go to university. The simple explanation is that an engineering technologist is not an engineer, they don't wear the iron ring. A practical nurse from college is not an RN or anesthetist.
Jul 11, 2014
59 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Hey, how is the program at Mohawk? Are you enjoying it? Also, if you want a job out of this, make sure you take co-op. I have an acquaintance in that program that's working for Horizons as a co-op placement and he's loving it. It's difficult to find an electrical apprenticeship in Ontario if you don't have any connections (know people). Like everyone says, if your true motive is to become an engineer, then go to UNI, if you just want a JOB then just continue through your program, do co-op, work there and then make it count towards your electrical apprenticeship to become an electrician, but first make whatever company it is sponsor you and get all the paperwork done.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2013
15 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
Hey, school? yeah! I like people here. Study is little bit boring especially math. The University also offers coop too!. I have found it is very difficult to get in to skill trade work without any connections in Ontario. There are so many students are graduating from college every year. I don't really know many people, and I am not even Canadian citizen.
Unfortunately, I don't have that many connections here.
Mar 6, 2015
386 posts
24 upvotes
Crichtonfan wrote:
Jun 30th, 2015 9:03 pm

So do you mean that taking a 3 year engineering technologist program is waste of time to get into the engineering field?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Feb 25, 2015
746 posts
775 upvotes
NB
cybercavalier wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 10:38 pm
So do you mean that taking a 3 year engineering technologist program is waste of time to get into the engineering field?
Look at the regulations published by your provincial Association of Engineers. Typically you must have a Bachelor of Engineering degree to eventually become an engineer.