• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2010 4:15 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 5, 2009
212 posts
10 upvotes

Damm, I think I may have overpaid Wal-Mart a $20 bill

Has anyone been in a situation that they can't remember how much cash they had in their wallet and then go crazy after because they think they overpaid and didn't notice.

Today I went to wal-mart with I think $120 cash in $20 bills, but when driving home I was thinking maybe I had $140 because thats what I had in my wallet on Sunday morning and I can't remember if I bought anything yesterday or Sunday, so I am not sure, I spent $60.27 and I thought I gave the exact amount I thought with 3 bills and a quarter and 2 pennies because I didn't want change. Now I have 3 $20 bills left and I am over analyzing this, I would hope that Wal-mart has a policy where extra money is handed to cashiers that it needs to be returned and not pocketed or else there is punishment, just like when cashiers are short on money at the cash.

Arghhhh, maybe I did really only have $120 but I can't remember, sadly this situation happens once or twice a year and most of the time I can audit myself to make sure everything is ok, but this time I don't remember what I did the last 2 days, nor do I have any receipts. I try to use credit card when I can but I have $200 in cash at home along with the $60 that I like to get rid of just in case someone try's to come in and steal something.

Anyone else have something like this happen to them.
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
How exactly will you be able to prove anything though?

Sometimes it happens, just be careful next time.
Aug 19, 2007
108 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
Happened to me once at Canadacomputers. I paid an extra $20 too. The cashier was kinda confused by the change he gave me and didn't remember how much I gave him. I thought I gave him exact though.
When I arrived home, I counted my bills and missed $20. I hurried back to CC, and reminded the cashier that I gave him an extra 20, and he also remembered the situation.
He said he will call me back when he counts his till at the end of the day. And happily, he did :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I too sometimes withdraw $200 in cash which comes in 20s and when I start making small purchases I dont really know how many I have left.

I dont think it happened like that with me. Sometimes when I go to a club and buy drinks, the next morning I look at my wad of 20's and say to myself "I spent that much??? Theres only 2 20's left!!!".
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
If you go back the same day and talk to the manager, they will count their till at the end of the day and if it's up by $20, they will call you and have you come in the next day to collect your money. If it's not up by $20, then either you lost $20 somewhere else or you didn't have as much money as you think you did.

Most stores are good about this type of thing. Don't tell them you're not sure how much money you had on you, just tell them you're pretty sure you overpaid by $20 and you would like them to count their till and call you if it actually is up by $20. They should be more than happy to do that.
Jun 5, 2009
212 posts
10 upvotes
Shaner wrote: If you go back the same day and talk to the manager, they will count their till at the end of the day and if it's up by $20, they will call you and have you come in the next day to collect your money. If it's not up by $20, then either you lost $20 somewhere else or you didn't have as much money as you think you did.

Most stores are good about this type of thing. Don't tell them you're not sure how much money you had on you, just tell them you're pretty sure you overpaid by $20 and you would like them to count their till and call you if it actually is up by $20. They should be more than happy to do that.
I think I would be to embarrassed to ask them to do that in those situations, what if I am wrong :(
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
Redro wrote: I think I would be to embarrassed to ask them to do that in those situations, what if I am wrong :(
its going to be hard now that u let couple days pass by
Dec 8, 2009
765 posts
811 upvotes
I beg your pardon, your majesty, but we don't accept bills with lipstick on the president.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
you arent even sure how much you had, so what do you think you can do at this point other than keep better track of your money

walmart pockets the extra cash....every cashier is either over or under a little bit each day

how would you expect them to return cash overages? lol call up each customer who paid cash and ask if they overpaid ? lmao
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2804 posts
2251 upvotes
GTA
Paying with cash is so old school. You don't have the option of knowing where your money goes and you can't dispute the charges if anything goes wrong. People who pay with cash overspend. Also theres the chance of losing your money. I've learned from experience, card is the way to go.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
moulamou wrote: Paying with cash is so old school. You don't have the option of knowing where your money goes and you can't dispute the charges if anything goes wrong. People who pay with cash overspend. Also theres the chance of losing your money. I've learned from experience, card is the way to go.
I imagine paying with credit cards is more likely to make you overspend, it's like magic money, not even tangible. If you pay out cash in bills, you'll see how much you're spending much easily.

But that being said, I usually pay by credit cards and I don't overspend because I can control myself.
Banned
Dec 22, 2009
40 posts
moulamou wrote: Paying with cash is so old school. You don't have the option of knowing where your money goes and you can't dispute the charges if anything goes wrong. People who pay with cash overspend. Also theres the chance of losing your money. I've learned from experience, card is the way to go.
That's why they give you receipt. If something goes wrong, you can dispute. And your other point: "People who pay with cash overspend".... hmm are you saying people with credit card underspend?

"Also theres the chance of losing your money" ... I guess there's no chance of losing your credit card.
Nov 17, 2009
112 posts
2 upvotes
New York
I always keep track of what I spend..

It has happened to me once & it felt horrible...
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
I admit it. I'm old school. Maybe I'm just old.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Feb 5, 2008
21 posts
7 upvotes
Happened to me in the states. All their money looks alike :(
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1809 posts
224 upvotes
GTA
Order, this is a useless thread.
A penny saved, is a penny earned!
Oct 11, 2007
347 posts
52 upvotes
Happened to me once at Walmart I asked for a cashback but then I actually forgot to take it (and cashier was busy so she didn't make sure I got it).
Still, my fault. So I went the next day, spoke to manager, yep, they said they counted at the end of the day and my cash was there so they gave it to me.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
TempletonPeck wrote: I beg your pardon, your majesty, but we don't accept bills with lipstick on the president.
oh larry david, how u make me laugh :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)