Art and Photography

Damn that DAM (Digital Asset Management)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 9:56 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes

Damn that DAM (Digital Asset Management)

Data and backups are only going to get worst as we grow our media library. It used to enough to backup digital content on CD and DVD's. Then came the USB harddrives, then NAS and servers, then Cloud backups. How are the rest of you handling your DAM (digital asset management)?

1. Where is your backup?
2. Where is your secondary backup?
3. Do you skill keep a copy after your first back up?
4. Do you run a server like a Windows Home Server?
5. Do you run a NAS?

Anyone up tot 10TB of storage in total from all your PC's and disks yet?
3 replies
Feb 8, 2003
121 posts
13 upvotes
Coquitlam
Data and backups are only going to get worst as we grow our media library. It used to enough to backup digital content on CD and DVD's. Then came the USB harddrives, then NAS and servers, then Cloud backups. How are the rest of you handling your DAM (digital asset management)?

1. Where is your backup? Primary backup to Time Machine external drive beside my mac mini, backs up my mac mini and second external drive
2. Where is your secondary backup? Backblaze.com (backs up my more important iphoto libraries and documents 300G)
3. Do you skill keep a copy after your first back up? Third copy kept on external usb drive at office, refreshed every month or so if I remember to bring it home
4. Do you run a server like a Windows Home Server? no
5. Do you run a NAS? no

Anyone up tot 10TB of storage in total from all your PC's and disks yet? Nope, only around 3TB
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
Wow, Blackblaze looks interesting at $5 / month / PC. Have never heard of it till now. Is it trusted and have gotten reviewed by larger tech firms?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1319 posts
284 upvotes
Ottawa, On
1. Where is your backup? I run a home made media/backup server that I threw together for about $300. Attached to it I have a USB 3.0 Raid enclosure with 2x2TB drives in raid 1 for backups, and a USB 3.0 4TB (no raid) drive for media. I run crashplan on the server in order to backup all my computers to the raid enclosure.
2. Where is your secondary backup? For a secondary backup I set my father up with crashplan as well. I backup to him he backups up to me. This only works since I signed up for internet with a 10 Mbps upload. I originally had a 1 Mbps upload and the backups couldn't keep up with the rate I was producing data.
3. Do you skill keep a copy after your first back up? I wait till I've backed up to the server before I format my cards.
4. Do you run a server like a Windows Home Server? See above
5. Do you run a NAS? No just the server.

Anyone up tot 10TB of storage in total from all your PC's and disks yet? Total between all computers in the house I'd say is ~17 TB but no more than 5 TB in any one place.