Home & Garden

Dandelion becoming Canada's National Flower vs My Propane Torch at 1900 degrees! :D

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2010 9:12 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham

Dandelion becoming Canada's National Flower vs My Propane Torch at 1900 degrees! :D

Everywhere I go, I see this dreaded flower sprouting up everywhere. It seems that it is getting worse and worse after each year. I am thinking it is because the ban on herbicide caused this plant to really flourish together with its easy to disperse mechanism :(

Even my new sod has started to sprout up. There is an eco-friendly dandelion killer in garden centres but it cost $29.99 per bottle and the efficacy is debtatable. Anyone else is having this same problem?

Also, are there really no alternatives other than back-breaking manual removal :(

Update:

OK since i am searching for a high quality charcoal BBQ lighter that is windproof and compatible with my coleman propane cylinders for my Lehr Propane trimmer and finally found something suitable:
[IMG]http://stage.bernzomatic.com/Portals/8/ ... _US_lg.jpg[/IMG]

In the US some people are using propane torch to kill dandelions and other weeds and apparently the flame is so hot that all it need is a very short stroke on the stem and it will kill off the entire plant + root (LETS HOPE IT WORKS)

I just "sprayed" the dandelions and thistles in my parent's Yard and my yard and I will report back the efficacy of this weapon :twisted:
109 replies
Mar 31, 2010
374 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
Yes, they're everywhere. We're trying to do overseeding to hopefully get rid of them in the long run. Right now, we just pull the dandelions out.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4022 posts
33 upvotes
Hamilton
Yup. They are really taking over. I don't think that overseeding now will help this year. I just pulled them all out. Canadian Tire had a Fiskar telescoping weed puller on sale -- works well, but leaves a hole.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
Ya, spent the afternoon with the Fiskars in the backyard pullign dandelions.
Oh well, it was something to do while my ribs were smoking for 3hrs :D
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14936 posts
1753 upvotes
Oshawa
I say we bag up all the flowering dandelions we can find, drive down to Queen's Park, and scatter the seeds all over the lawn.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17766 posts
5859 upvotes
Toronto
What do you mean soon? It has already become the provincial flower.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10837 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
will888 wrote:
May 2nd, 2010 11:05 pm
What do you mean soon? It has already become the provincial flower.
+1

Attack of the Dandelions :D

They grow anywhere :|

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
374 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
patrob wrote:
May 2nd, 2010 11:19 pm
+1

Attack of the Dandelions :D

They grow anywhere :|

Oh goodness. Those ones are hard to pull out!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
465 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
stealth wrote:
May 2nd, 2010 10:54 pm
Ya, spent the afternoon with the Fiskars in the backyard pullign dandelions.
Oh well, it was something to do while my ribs were smoking for 3hrs :D
I did the same thing today.. Of course I had to return the Fiskars after I broke it.. and now I find the second one having issues with the claws binding and I have to manually pull them appart every so often.

But I must say, this tool works really well at pulling out the dandelions, leaves and most of the roots in one motion.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3956 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
What I find interesting is that it meets all the critiria to be included in the invasive plants list. It is not native to Canada or the United States and is very invasive. It was brought here over a hundred years ago by the eurasians as a source of food (greens) and drink (flower heads for wine). If you tried to bring it here today it would not be allowed in.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
Out american friends have various propane torch designed to burn these suckers using a highly focused flame. I guess we could do that too with a blowtorch. But then it will still leave brown patch in the lawn because the grass will not survive either.

I sure hope some bio-tech company come up with a non-toxic product that is specifically designed for these dandalion's DNA...
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
You can environmentally remove them with either boiling water or vinegar.

Just be sure to pour only on dandelion and if you don't like the smell of vinegar, use boiling water.

Use enough boiling water to kill the root or it won't work.

I get tired of boiling the kettle for these suckers though!

My neighbour is witching about them but we had a few last week and 10,000 this week!

My back just can't take it and I don't have money for 'weed service'!

Guess she'll have to keep witching.

Many people USED to make dandelion wine, wonder if I should try it! :idea:
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1213 upvotes
Sauga
If people focused on keeping their grass healthy, this would not be so much of a problem. The place where you see dandelion most is on poorly maintained lawns; the place where you see it least is on lawns with good soil and good grass. On your lawn, the best deterrent to most "weeds" is lush grass.

BTW, if dandelion is your biggest problem, then consider yourself lucky. There are many worse nuisances out there that are much harder to get rid of (like thistle and bindweed...arrrgh!!).
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1785 posts
266 upvotes
You know, after pulling thousands of these things out every year I am constantly amazed at how well they adapt to conditions in order to grow. These things have been evolving after countless generations in order to be able to grow everywhere and in particular places where other plants cannot. It's almost as if they deserve to exist since they're so good at adapting.

I have that fiskars weed puller and it works ok (other than leaving huge holes in my lawn), but unless you get every piece of root out of the soil (I'm talking about the full 8-12" root here, you'll know when you get a good pull or not) you will get another dandelion in that exact same spot in a few months. If you feel the "snap" when you pull the weed out it's guaranteed there will be another one in its place eventually. And of course those large holes you leave in the ground are another prefect spot for a dandelion seed to grow...

I'm sure if aliens observed us pulling these weeds out over and over again they would consider us to be quite insane!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
i redid my whole backyard early last Spring and had a nice lawn all summer...this year it's mostly yellow...i see interlocking coming. :D
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea: