Home & Garden

Dark furniture and potentially dark floors... ??

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2010 7:17 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Dark furniture and potentially dark floors... ??

:confused:

We currently have furniture from Costco and will be moving to a new home.

The sofas (three seater and love seat) are dark brown leather, as is our dining room set (dark wood and dark chairs).

Our floors are natural wood in oak.

For the new home we want to go with darker floors (espresso) and are wondering how the dark furniture on dark floors will look. I don't want to go with light floors as that would be harder to change later than changing furniture.

Any suggestions?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1214 posts
96 upvotes
Well, I'm no interior design expert, so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt if you like.

Depending on how closely the colour of your wood floor and furniture match, you may end up with a room that looks pretty monotonous. This also depends largely on what your preference is and whether you mind dark rooms or not. How many windows will be in these areas and are you getting lots of natural light in the rooms? Are these rooms big or small? Will the floors be glossy or matte?

If you must have dark wood floor with dark furniture, then I would suggest you use an area rug of some sort in a contrasting colour to break up the monotony. Paint the walls in lighter or warmer tones to offset the dark floors/furniture. Artificial lighting in the room will also be crucial when you're not getting enough natural light (i.e. nighttime or winter months).

Also, if you don't want your furniture to blend into the floor, you can consider putting some coloured pillows on the sofa or chrome/silver decorative centrepiece on your dining table.
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ShinNoodles wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2010 3:56 pm
Well, I'm no interior design expert, so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt if you like.

Depending on how closely the colour of your wood floor and furniture match, you may end up with a room that looks pretty monotonous. This also depends largely on what your preference is and whether you mind dark rooms or not. How many windows will be in these areas and are you getting lots of natural light in the rooms? Are these rooms big or small? Will the floors be glossy or matte?

If you must have dark wood floor with dark furniture, then I would suggest you use an area rug of some sort in a contrasting colour to break up the monotony. Paint the walls in lighter or warmer tones to offset the dark floors/furniture. Artificial lighting in the room will also be crucial when you're not getting enough natural light (i.e. nighttime or winter months).

Also, if you don't want your furniture to blend into the floor, you can consider putting some coloured pillows on the sofa or chrome/silver decorative centrepiece on your dining table.

That's what we are worried about - monotonous look. We already have the dark furniture in our current home and wanted dark floors in the new home...

So, it seems like we if we went with dark floors, and we already have dark furniture, we'll have to either buy new furniture later or find ways to add colour.. :(
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
4847 posts
527 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Just use a bright coloured area rug in the living room. Doesn't have to be big, just enough to add the colour.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3417 posts
393 upvotes
Aurora
Rugs, pillows, paint, artwork, accent pieces, lighting, lots of ways to introduce colour and light to your rooms.

Choose the floors you want cause it's a lot easier to change the furniture if you decide that's what's got to happen.
That's the end of my rant.
Dec 2, 2007
8 posts
Toronto
Shaf wrote:
Sep 29th, 2010 3:08 pm
So, it seems like we if we went with dark floors, and we already have dark furniture, we'll have to either buy new furniture later or find ways to add colour.. :(
That pretty much sums it up.

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're thinking "black and white" right now, so to speak. But once you put your dark furniture on your dark floors, you might be pleasantly surprised with the look.

Can you compare the colour of your furniture to the choice of floors you're considering to see if they'll work? I'm sure you could take a flooring sample home.
Jan 14, 2007
811 posts
9 upvotes
Edmonton
we have dark hardwood.. machiatto I believe is the technical color..

We have black leather couches, and a very very dark stained dinette, plus a coffee table that is dark.

We have a light colored rug under the coffee table and a colorful rug under the dinette.... the couches look fine.
Aug 12, 2010
380 posts
171 upvotes
Calgary
Same here, we have dark floors and dark furniture. It all balances out nicely though since the walls, drapes, kitchen tiles, counter are all lighter coloured.
Jul 6, 2010
98 posts
5 upvotes
North Bay,Ontario
As many have already said, the trick to pulling the room together is in the accessories.Get the big stuff right and the rest will follow. A great area carpet will anchor the room and give a bit of contrast if needed.There is nothing wrong with playing with tones and texture to create and interesting space. Just make sure the tone of the floor works with the tone of the furniture.When you are choosing colour that matches that closely, you have to be extra careful to get it right or it will clash.That can be trickier than you think, so view samples in the room you are going to use them in and at several times of the day. Make sure you have the lighting you are going to use as it affects colour in a big way.Having said that, you could go a few shades lighter on the floor than the furniture for a bit of contrast..but still dark...maybe an oil, satin finish. Remember that dark stains typically read as 'formal' and can show dust more easily in certain light....but are super gorgeous.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10073 posts
947 upvotes
Brampton
I love dark floors & we have them in our home (incl. dark furniture). We recently ordered dark brown sofas for our family room (still waiting 4.5 months later > :( ) so I can post a pic once they arrive :) You can add light coloured rugs, paint the walls in light colours, etc. It is cheaper to change furniture than hardwood floors ;)
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
98 posts
5 upvotes
North Bay,Ontario
patrob wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 4:43 pm
I love dark floors & we have them in our home (incl. dark furniture). We recently ordered dark brown sofas for our family room (still waiting 4.5 months later > :( ) so I can post a pic once they arrive :) You can add light coloured rugs, paint the walls in light colours, etc. It is cheaper to change furniture than hardwood floors ;)

patrob....you posted a photo on another thread of your living room, I think, that had gorgeous floor that may inspire here....perhaps you could direct them to it...(I can't remember where it wa posted).
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10073 posts
947 upvotes
Brampton
RhuBird wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 4:48 pm
patrob....you posted a photo on another thread of your living room, I think, that had gorgeous floor that may inspire here....perhaps you could direct them to it...(I can't remember where it wa posted).

But it has light coloured sofas & OP will have dark sofas but here is the pic :)

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
98 posts
5 upvotes
North Bay,Ontario
the dark floor, itself is lovely (oil finish or is that the Osmo?)....a starting point for them maybe...and the coffee table is dark....AND I just love that room.... :lol: ;)
Oct 7, 2003
164 posts
Scarborough
patrob wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 4:59 pm
But it has light coloured sofas & OP will have dark sofas but here is the pic :)

Hi Patrob,

Amazing room and details. What colour is the hardwood floor? Is it oak or maple? Brand of hardwood that you used?

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1777 upvotes
dark floor is no daubt more elegant but less practical
be ready to clean it more often but it's worth it imo
× < >