Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4092 posts
1370 upvotes
BC

Dark [Netflix Original]

Has anyone watched Dark on Netflix? The show is originally German, but there are English voiceovers by default in CAN/US (but you can change it back to the original audio with English subtitles).

I've seen about half the season, it gets more interesting (and into the "meat and potatoes") from the 3rd episode onwards. The first couple episodes were a bit "meh" for me. There are a couple parallels to Stranger Things but the premise of the show is different. This show is also not for children (there is swearing and some random nudity at one point, I don't know why they needed it).
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
4 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4092 posts
1370 upvotes
BC
More descriptions of the show if you're interested:

NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/05/arts ... roots.html
You could argue that the new Netflix series is the German "Stranger Things". You could also say, somewhat flippantly but not inaccurately, that it’s the show for people who thought Stranger Things was just a little too much fun.

The 10-episode series, Netflix’s first German production, is a multigenerational science-fiction-and-horror tale set in a small town in the shadow of a mysterious installation, in this case a nuclear power plant. It involves children who go missing in other dimensions, nighttime searches, underground passages and an elaborate hand-drawn map. The surface similarities to Netflix’s American-made hit “Stranger Things” are strong.

But the show’s European roots are even stronger. In place of the American show’s ceaseless adrenaline rush, “Dark” offers a hushed, brittle artiness that will be familiar to fans of the French ghost story “The Returned” or the British-French thriller “The Missing.”
The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/1/1672 ... ing-series
Dark is closer to the original run of David Lynch and Mark Frost’s 1990s groundbreaker Twin Peaks, with a steaming nuclear power plant dominating the town instead of a lumber mill. Dark isn’t just about a murder that comes with a disturbing tinge of the supernatural. It’s about a community of people, all with their own problems, and all linked in different ways — both in the present and in the past.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1846 posts
225 upvotes
In another world
I started watching it but lost interest as I found it a bit slow. Slower than Stranger Things.
Mar 17, 2015
110 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thought it was great. Was really disappointed the audio default was English dubbed...
I thought everything on Netflix was defaulted to the Native language??
I guess they are trying to get as much of the Stranger Things crowd as they can.
Thankfully I noticed right away and was able to change it to the German audio track.
Apr 26, 2010
586 posts
36 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Half way done and enjoying every bit.
The music is great and things appear to be picking up now regarding the plot & time travel