Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5260 posts
1890 upvotes
redflagdeals.com

Dark [Netflix Original]

Has anyone watched Dark on Netflix? The show is originally German, but there are English voiceovers by default in CAN/US (but you can change it back to the original audio with English subtitles).

I've seen about half the season, it gets more interesting (and into the "meat and potatoes") from the 3rd episode onwards. The first couple episodes were a bit "meh" for me. There are a couple parallels to Stranger Things but the premise of the show is different. This show is also not for children (there is swearing and some random nudity at one point).
Last edited by dealseaker101 on Dec 7th, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
12 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5260 posts
1890 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
More descriptions of the show if you're interested:

NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/05/arts ... roots.html
You could argue that the new Netflix series is the German "Stranger Things". You could also say, somewhat flippantly but not inaccurately, that it’s the show for people who thought Stranger Things was just a little too much fun.

The 10-episode series, Netflix’s first German production, is a multigenerational science-fiction-and-horror tale set in a small town in the shadow of a mysterious installation, in this case a nuclear power plant. It involves children who go missing in other dimensions, nighttime searches, underground passages and an elaborate hand-drawn map. The surface similarities to Netflix’s American-made hit “Stranger Things” are strong.

But the show’s European roots are even stronger. In place of the American show’s ceaseless adrenaline rush, “Dark” offers a hushed, brittle artiness that will be familiar to fans of the French ghost story “The Returned” or the British-French thriller “The Missing.”
The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/1/1672 ... ing-series
Dark is closer to the original run of David Lynch and Mark Frost’s 1990s groundbreaker Twin Peaks, with a steaming nuclear power plant dominating the town instead of a lumber mill. Dark isn’t just about a murder that comes with a disturbing tinge of the supernatural. It’s about a community of people, all with their own problems, and all linked in different ways — both in the present and in the past.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2091 posts
268 upvotes
In another world
I started watching it but lost interest as I found it a bit slow. Slower than Stranger Things.
Mar 17, 2015
141 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thought it was great. Was really disappointed the audio default was English dubbed...
I thought everything on Netflix was defaulted to the Native language??
I guess they are trying to get as much of the Stranger Things crowd as they can.
Thankfully I noticed right away and was able to change it to the German audio track.
Apr 26, 2010
647 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Half way done and enjoying every bit.
The music is great and things appear to be picking up now regarding the plot & time travel
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10108 posts
420 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Finished it last night, I give it a solid 9/10 once I changed it to German audio with english subs- as a dub it's a 0/10 and is one of the worst dubbing jobs I've ever seen.

It's much darker than Stranger Things and unlike that show, it feels like everyone here has a secret and there isn't a perfect person in the town. The show is a bit difficult to follow, it is about time travel after all, but they help the viewer know who's who with imagery.

And because apparently this is now a thing, there's a cliffhanger ending to the season.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
May 2, 2011
859 posts
149 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Can't believe there isn't more discussion on this show on RFD. It's probably the best one I've watched since Westworld or True Detective Season 1. Just finished it and highly recommend for people who like sci-fi/mystery. You literally have no idea what is going to happen the entire time.

For those that are expecting GoT or Walking Dead style action, don't watch.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5260 posts
1890 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
richuwo11 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:58 am
Can't believe there isn't more discussion on this show on RFD.
If a show isn't in English, nobody (in Canada/US) will bother to watch it. Additionally, the show isn't talked about in the media, so there is no hype/awareness to get people to watch it.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11082 posts
1577 upvotes
RFD
Finished Season 1. DARK is in my top 3 list of the best TV show I've ever seen. Next level amazing, mind bending, television. Hooked on from episode 1,the production quality, sound, every aspect is top notch. Casting deserves praise too. Magnificent job. It is imo miles better than the already great Stranger Things.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11394 posts
976 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 1:02 pm
Finished Season 1. DARK is in my top 3 list of the best TV show I've ever seen. Next level amazing, mind bending, television. Hooked on from episode 1,the production quality, sound, every aspect is top notch. Casting deserves praise too. Magnificent job. It is imo miles better than the already great Stranger Things.
Agreed. Dark is easily among the best shows I've ever seen.

Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Wire
Westworld
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16366 posts
1407 upvotes
Space for rent
I tried watching Stranger Things but it wasn't my thing. Has anyone watched Timeless or Travelers? They're pretty good.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5260 posts
1890 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Looks like there will be a season 2 of Dark. Filming starts this June, so the show might be released sometime in 2019.

source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/net ... k-12383991

If anyone's deciding if it's worth your time, here are some ratings for season 1:

IMDB: 8.7 (63,181 reviews)
Rotten Tomatoes: 86% (35 reviews)
Metacritic: 61 (10 critic reviews)

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Sep 26, 2008
445 posts
75 upvotes
Ottawa
Excellent, really enjoyed season 1, glad to hear there will be another.