Automotive

DASH CAM: Blackvue DR500GW-HD|*HACKED*|Wifi for Live view/Downloading videos to phone

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2014 11:13 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
10810 posts
1417 upvotes
I really like the WIFI option and my next dash cam has to have it. There are other companies coming out with WIFI models, but it's still too soon.

Pintobean is in talks with a company that is making a new dash cam with WIFI, but he hasn't made any updates on it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 15, 2005
5231 posts
832 upvotes
It's probably still based on the TI 368 chipset. It needs a disassembly so we add our own. Looking at Blackvue's track record on firmware, I wouldn't chance it. There's still no official download for the English firmware for the season II unit. Their site only shows Korean firmware for the DR500, but all RFDers have a Korean girlfriend, right? :lol: :D
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
xpoint9 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 5:20 am
This is a new model and only seems to be available in Korea at the moment. But retailers are starting to get these all over the world. Newegg in US is selling this for $299
$300 is a terrible price if you have to ship to Korea for a warranty issue, or if you have to pay for shipping. Like in the group buy where a bunch of the cameras were dead-on-arrival. You're paying $200+ for this unit, and you have absolutely no guarantee. Scam, scam, scam.

And WHY is it so expensive?

A digital camera (12mb Sony) sells at Walmart for $89 and includes all the same components, if not better video components. All you need is some software to handle persistent recording (and overwriting old data to save new data once memory card is full). I would like to see a real brand get into this market, like Sony, LG, Samsung, et al. We would see amazing quality and great price point.

As for the WiFi feature - looks completely useless. Why would I want to watch the video capture on my phone? I'm already looking out the window. And it's already recording to sd-card, not like I need to view the video until I get home. Plus why is it using WiFI instead of Bluetooth? That's just using the wrong technology.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
10810 posts
1417 upvotes
mofesto wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 2:42 am
$300 is a terrible price if you have to ship to Korea for a warranty issue, or if you have to pay for shipping. Like in the group buy where a bunch of the cameras were dead-on-arrival. You're paying $200+ for this unit, and you have absolutely no guarantee. Scam, scam, scam.

And WHY is it so expensive?

A digital camera (12mb Sony) sells at Walmart for $89 and includes all the same components, if not better video components. All you need is some software to handle persistent recording (and overwriting old data to save new data once memory card is full). I would like to see a real brand get into this market, like Sony, LG, Samsung, et al. We would see amazing quality and great price point.

As for the WiFi feature - looks completely useless. Why would I want to watch the video capture on my phone? I'm already looking out the window. And it's already recording to sd-card, not like I need to view the video until I get home. Plus why is it using WiFI instead of Bluetooth? That's just using the wrong technology.
Because then you never have to remove the SD card. You can just set your phone to download as you drive. Or you can set up another device to recieve the recordings, so in the event someone breaks into your car and steals the dash cam, you have it recorded else where. Also sometimes you need evidence on the spot. Let's say a cop pulls you over because all he sees is you eratically driving into another lane. You try to plead your case that you got cut off, but he isn't buying it. Then you can show the video to him on the spot. There are dash cams with display screens, but they tend to be bulky and spotted easier for theft.

I think WIFI is used as bluetooth is generally reserved for handsfree in cars.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 10:02 am
I think WIFI is used as bluetooth is generally reserved for handsfree in cars.
Oh yeah, I forget phone only wants to connect to one bluetooth device at a time.
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 10:02 am
Or you can set up another device to recieve the recordings, so in the event someone breaks into your car and steals the dash cam, you have it recorded else where.
Would have to use cheap Android phone or something, but that too would need a usb cable running to get constant power. Thief would see the cable and take that too.
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 10:02 am
Also sometimes you need evidence on the spot. Let's say a cop pulls you over because all he sees is you eratically driving into another lane. You try to plead your case that you got cut off, but he isn't buying it. Then you can show the video to him on the spot. There are dash cams with display screens, but they tend to be bulky and spotted easier for theft.
That's just a terrible idea, never talk to cops. Anything you say to a cop will never help your case, it will only be used against you. You'll just get tazed if you try to argue on the side of the road.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
10810 posts
1417 upvotes
mofesto wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 12:11 pm
Oh yeah, I forget phone only wants to connect to one bluetooth device at a time.



Would have to use cheap Android phone or something, but that too would need a usb cable running to get constant power. Thief would see the cable and take that too.



That's just a terrible idea, never talk to cops. Anything you say to a cop will never help your case, it will only be used against you. You'll just get tazed if you try to argue on the side of the road.
I was thinking of using my 32GB iPhone 4... contract is coming up, so I'll upgrade that soon. As for power, maybe set up something like Power Magic Pro, where it cuts off after a certain amount of time, so it doesn't kill the battery. That can be wired to my glove compartment. Not sure if that'll drain the battery too quickly though... I dunno... I'm not a techy, but I'll figure something out.
Newbie
Jan 20, 2013
12 posts
Hi,I've been doing a lot of research and just recently because I was using my iPhone as a dash cam with the Witness app, I had the other guy charged.

But using my iPhone has limitations. So I've been looking for a while, these are must have features:
1)A display to aim and then if an accident happens take it out of the mount and place it in the police officers hands and show him/her where the play rewind is!
2) Warranty service valid and done in Canada
3) 1080p 30 fps for those licence plates
4) Native or sold to you with English firmware and availability of English updates
5) GPS only if it comes with specific camera as a considered a bonus not a must have
6) Not a knock off fake cheap version of something else

So far I've only found dod-tech.ca
I'm waiting to get confirmation they are the oem authorised dealer in Canada.
The DOD cameras meet the above 5 points.
Given the recent Blackvue group buy problem and what appears to high of a price for that and other non display models, I would go the with one of the DOD models.

On dashcamtalk and carcamcentral DOD seems to be a good value and of reliability.

I've also emailed dod-tech.ca I also asked them about a group buy opportunity for them to make a bunch of rfders' real happy. If this seems a possibility I'll post it in the group buy section. I'm in Ottawa, so unsure on shipping options for everyone.
Newbie
Jan 20, 2013
12 posts
For the email back from the manufacturer. Their a legit distributor. So they have warranty and all the other stuff.

Any only buy from them?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3795 posts
1570 upvotes
Toronto
ToNIX wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 10:49 am
I hope that nobody on RFD will buy Blackvues because of that fiasco.

Boycott them.
xpoint9 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 1:56 pm
I didn't read the whole thread on the other model, but what happened? Something about warranty not being covered in group buys...?
Here's what happened...

I organized a group buy of the original Blackvue direct from the manufacturer. I dealt with their manager of overseas sales and told him up front what I was doing. He gave me a price, and I sold to RFDers at my cost. They also made me an authorized dealer for their cams.

After my group buy, I was contacted by a guy in BC asking for advice on how to import the cams cheaply. I helped him out, and he started a company called BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC). He became an authorized dealer for the Blackvue, and began selling the cam for profit.

A few months after my group buy was done and all the cams were distributed, the manufacturer sent an email to all authorized dealers stating that they had implemented a minimum selling price for their cams.

In the fall, I was asked by many people to run a second group buy, so I made a few posts here on RFD stating that I was thinking about it.

When BBMC saw that I was possibly going to run another group buy, they got upset because they felt it would make it harder for them to sell their cams. They reported me to the manufacturer and said that I was breaking their minimum selling price rules, even though I didn't even have any cams to sell.

The manufacturer believed BBMC because they speak Korean and I don't. They shut me down as an authorized dealer, refused to ship me additional cams, and voided the remaining 3 months of warranty that was left on the cams that I imported in my first group buy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9473 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
pintobean wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:28 pm
Here's what happened...

I organized a group buy of the original Blackvue direct from the manufacturer. I dealt with their manager of overseas sales and told him up front what I was doing. He gave me a price, and I sold to RFDers at my cost. They also made me an authorized dealer for their cams.

After my group buy, I was contacted by a guy in BC asking for advice on how to import the cams cheaply. I helped him out, and he started a company called BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC). He became an authorized dealer for the Blackvue, and began selling the cam for profit.

A few months after my group buy was done and all the cams were distributed, the manufacturer sent an email to all authorized dealers stating that they had implemented a minimum selling price for their cams.

In the fall, I was asked by many people to run a second group buy, so I made a few posts here on RFD stating that I was thinking about it.

When BBMC saw that I was possibly going to run another group buy, they got upset because they felt it would make it harder for them to sell their cams. They reported me to the manufacturer and said that I was breaking their minimum selling price rules, even though I didn't even have any cams to sell.

The manufacturer believed BBMC because they speak Korean and I don't. They shut me down as an authorized dealer, refused to ship me additional cams, and voided the remaining 3 months of warranty that was left on the cams that I imported in my first group buy.
How can they just void a warranty just like that when they were the ones who sold it at x price....

I really like the look of the new BlackVue especially with the wifi and am seriously considering it as a soon to be purchase. What I don't get is why aren't any other company's coming out with superior or on par match (feature wise) cameras for less?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8258 posts
885 upvotes
pintobean wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:28 pm
Here's what happened...

I organized a group buy of the original Blackvue direct from the manufacturer. I dealt with their manager of overseas sales and told him up front what I was doing. He gave me a price, and I sold to RFDers at my cost. They also made me an authorized dealer for their cams.

After my group buy, I was contacted by a guy in BC asking for advice on how to import the cams cheaply. I helped him out, and he started a company called BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC). He became an authorized dealer for the Blackvue, and began selling the cam for profit.

A few months after my group buy was done and all the cams were distributed, the manufacturer sent an email to all authorized dealers stating that they had implemented a minimum selling price for their cams.

In the fall, I was asked by many people to run a second group buy, so I made a few posts here on RFD stating that I was thinking about it.

When BBMC saw that I was possibly going to run another group buy, they got upset because they felt it would make it harder for them to sell their cams. They reported me to the manufacturer and said that I was breaking their minimum selling price rules, even though I didn't even have any cams to sell.

The manufacturer believed BBMC because they speak Korean and I don't. They shut me down as an authorized dealer, refused to ship me additional cams, and voided the remaining 3 months of warranty that was left on the cams that I imported in my first group buy.
koreans covering their own backs eh? we should boycott their cams. also shouldn't have help BBMC to set them up, they are your business rival. that's how business are run.

if you had volume, you could have persuade blackvue to let you be the exclusive retailer for all of Canada. again, you are not korean hence no dice.

Top