Automotive

DASH CAM: Blackvue DR500GW-HD|*HACKED*|Wifi for Live view/Downloading videos to phone

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2014 11:13 am
Tags:
None
Mar 26, 2012
132 posts
104 upvotes
Vancouver
I never bought from them but came across their website recently.

With their product selection and pictures from the installation/customer ride, it seems that they have been in a business for a while with worldwide shipping. Seems pretty legit to me but always do your diligence ;)
Oct 10, 2012
4 posts
Does anyone have, or know where I can get the English firmware for the dr500gw hd?
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Anyone is going to plasti-dip their cam to make it extra stealthy?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote: The most amazing thing I've seen so far in this thread is that the 'night footage' from the 20km/h crawl down a Korean highway has every single vehicle keeping a safe following distance from the car in front of them.
I'm amazed too... I visited Korea 20-25 years ago and the way people drove back then was intense. People would run reds if they saw no opposing traffic. On a 3 lane road at a light, you would see 5 cars across. They even built cars back then that were narrow, so they can squeeze inbetween traffic.
Messerschmitt wrote: Anyone is going to plasti-dip their cam to make it extra stealthy?
I did this for the Blackvue 400. It was grey, so I plasti-dipped the holder and most of the camera. This version just needs the holder and the metal part around the lens. Much easier.

I'm still holding out for a non-Pittasoft WiFi cam... but it seems like nothing is really launching.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: I'm amazed too... I visited Korea 20-25 years ago and the way people drove back then was intense. People would run reds if they saw no opposing traffic. On a 3 lane road at a light, you would see 5 cars across. They even built cars back then that were narrow, so they can squeeze inbetween traffic.
Sounds like Bucharest
joeyjoejoe wrote: I did this for the Blackvue 400. It was grey, so I plasti-dipped the holder and most of the camera. This version just needs the holder and the metal part around the lens. Much easier.
I am planning on buying a Plasti-Dip spray black. Is it straight forward to plasti-dip the 400 Season II? For the lens and circular LED, with what do you cover them and make a very nice silhouette around them like in this image?

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i1a3daOM7UPNo.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
:arrowu: Very easy. Just put tape around the lens. Also tape around the parts where the camera goes inside the holder. I taped a bit highrt on the camera, so that if I move the camera up or down, it wouldn't rub against the "Full HD Blackvue" rectangle thing on the holder. I also put a strip of tape on the back so it doesn't cover the lights and vents.
[IMG]http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.49895502 ... 6&pid=15.1[/IMG]

The side with the led multi-colour light can just be completely plasti-dipped. Then just carefully carve out with a box cutter. Just remember you don't need much pressure. The holder is easy. Put tape on the inside where the camera touches the holder... or just spray the whole thing and peel out. I just went right over the release button and cut out the extra, like in your picture.

I did 3 layers. Sorry no pics. I sold my cam with the car it was installed in... then lost all my pics on my phone when I upgraded the iOS.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote: I am planning on buying a Plasti-Dip spray black. Is it straight forward to plasti-dip the 400 Season II? For the lens and circular LED, with what do you cover them and make a very nice silhouette around them like in this image?
Take it apart and spray it. It comes apart very easily and the entire housing can be removed from the internals.

[IMG]http://dashcamtalk.com/wp-content/uploa ... sink-1.jpg[/IMG]
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
pintobean wrote: Here's what happened...

I organized a group buy of the original Blackvue direct from the manufacturer. I dealt with their manager of overseas sales and told him up front what I was doing. He gave me a price, and I sold to RFDers at my cost. They also made me an authorized dealer for their cams.

After my group buy, I was contacted by a guy in BC asking for advice on how to import the cams cheaply. I helped him out, and he started a company called BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC). He became an authorized dealer for the Blackvue, and began selling the cam for profit.

A few months after my group buy was done and all the cams were distributed, the manufacturer sent an email to all authorized dealers stating that they had implemented a minimum selling price for their cams.

In the fall, I was asked by many people to run a second group buy, so I made a few posts here on RFD stating that I was thinking about it.

When BBMC saw that I was possibly going to run another group buy, they got upset because they felt it would make it harder for them to sell their cams. They reported me to the manufacturer and said that I was breaking their minimum selling price rules, even though I didn't even have any cams to sell.

The manufacturer believed BBMC because they speak Korean and I don't. They shut me down as an authorized dealer, refused to ship me additional cams, and voided the remaining 3 months of warranty that was left on the cams that I imported in my first group buy.
that is what happens when you eat the noodles from the bowl and then flip the bowl over. lol!
Selling a new never installed or used Edelbrock turbo kit #1500, but lowballers and buyers offering ridiculous 500 bucks for it.http://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-edel ... s-1151134/So now it is installed and in my civic :)
Mar 1, 2011
195 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
pintobean wrote: Here's what happened...

I organized a group buy of the original Blackvue direct from the manufacturer. I dealt with their manager of overseas sales and told him up front what I was doing. He gave me a price, and I sold to RFDers at my cost. They also made me an authorized dealer for their cams.

After my group buy, I was contacted by a guy in BC asking for advice on how to import the cams cheaply. I helped him out, and he started a company called BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC). He became an authorized dealer for the Blackvue, and began selling the cam for profit.

A few months after my group buy was done and all the cams were distributed, the manufacturer sent an email to all authorized dealers stating that they had implemented a minimum selling price for their cams.

In the fall, I was asked by many people to run a second group buy, so I made a few posts here on RFD stating that I was thinking about it.

When BBMC saw that I was possibly going to run another group buy, they got upset because they felt it would make it harder for them to sell their cams. They reported me to the manufacturer and said that I was breaking their minimum selling price rules, even though I didn't even have any cams to sell.

The manufacturer believed BBMC because they speak Korean and I don't. They shut me down as an authorized dealer, refused to ship me additional cams, and voided the remaining 3 months of warranty that was left on the cams that I imported in my first group buy.
Now that is NOT COOL. BBMC happened to be a sponsored vendor at our Gencoupe forums and luckily I didn't buy from him. He didn't even last long as a vendor there...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, so I have some good news...

Alex from BBMC phoned me today. He said my posts here imply that he told Pittasoft to void our warranty, and he is not happy about that at all. He says that he had absolutely nothing to do with Pittasoft voiding the warranty on the cams that were purchased through my Group Buy.

As a sign of good faith, Alex said that he called his contact at Pittasoft and asked her to approve the warranty on my cams. He says that she agreed to do this, and is waiting for an email from me. I sent that email this evening.

As soon as I hear back from Pittasoft, I will post here.

I'm still upset with BBMC for the fact that I was cancelled as an authorized Blackvue dealer due to Alex's complaint, but if his help is able to get the warranty approved on my cams for the last month of coverage, then I will respect him a lot more than before.

Stay tuned...
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
pintobean wrote: Ok, so I have some good news...

Alex from BBMC phoned me today. He said my posts here imply that he told Pittasoft to void our warranty, and he is not happy about that at all. He says that he had absolutely nothing to do with Pittasoft voiding the warranty on the cams that were purchased through my Group Buy.

As a sign of good faith, Alex said that he called his contact at Pittasoft and asked her to approve the warranty on my cams. He says that she agreed to do this, and is waiting for an email from me. I sent that email this evening.

I'm still upset with BBMC for the fact that I was cancelled as an authorized Blackvue dealer due to Alex's complaint, but if his help is able to get the warranty approved on my cams for the last month of coverage, then I will respect him a lot more than before.

Stay tuned...
Good to hear! Seems like a few people here and in the GB thread are having a few issues.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto

Stay tuned...
He claims he had nothing to do with your warrantees being voided, yet he has enough clout and leverage to get you your warrantees back? That still sounds fishy for what should be an independent dealer who shouldn't be meddling with your sales.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes

Stay tuned...
Too little too late. He's trying to save his sorry ### and his business now that we're all talking #### on BBMC (blackboxmycar / black box my car).
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
Ok guys, I heard back from Pittasoft. They will honor the last month of warranty on the cams I purchased in my group buy.

They said that I need to send the cams back to Korea and they will run tests to ensure each cam is indeed defective. Faulty units will either be repaired or replaced with a brand new unit.

If they determine that a cam is not defective, or the issue is no longer covered under the warranty, they will simply return the cam to me and I will give it back to you. Keep in mind that the warranty on the cam's internal battery, power cables and SD card was only 6 months, and that expired a long time ago, so if that is the cause of your problem, you're going to be out of luck...

If you bought a Blackvue in my GB, and you feel that your cam is defective, you need to send me an email that contains your name, RFD name, phone number, serial number of the cam and an explanation of the issue you are having. If it is a picture quality problem, I need you to send me a video sample as well.

Please send your emails with the subject line: Blackvue Warranty Claim. Do not send me PMs here on RFD, as my mailbox gets full quickly.

If you have already contacted me about your defective cam some time in the last 3 months, I ask that you please send me another email as set out above, as I don't want to forget about anyone.

Finally, I ask that people please be patient with me as it takes a lot if time for me to handle these returns and I am very busy with work and my family. Remember that I made no profit off the group buy, so everything I am doing now to get warranty coverage for us is an added cost to me in terms of time and money.

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
Sounds like backpeddling and damage control to me.

If GoPro would make a dash cam. I'd throw money at them right away.
signature edited for rule violations
Aug 25, 2007
460 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
I am also looking to purchase a dash cam, seeing how the RFD group was treated I know who I don't wish to buy from. We just need to research another option and see if we all can make that happen. Shame on Blackvue, reputations can take a long time to build up and this certainly is not helping them.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Ballroomblitz wrote: I am also looking to purchase a dash cam, seeing how the RFD group was treated I know who I don't wish to buy from. We just need to research another option and see if we all can make that happen. Shame on Blackvue, reputations can take a long time to build up and this certainly is not helping them.
I have nothing to contribute but I was just listening (actually, rocking out and singing along) to Ballroom Blitz :D

I've been keeping an eye out on another dashcam in case my Blackvue dies after warranty ends, or if I need another one for my other car (not driven often), but I am really surprised at the lack of options. There is a market for it, any big name can make a big splash and can eat up most of the market. With that being said, I wonder how viable a dashcam that doesn't have a blocky body is.

[IMG]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3418/dashcamidea.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: I've been keeping an eye out on another dashcam in case my Blackvue dies after warranty ends, or if I need another one for my other car (not driven often), but I am really surprised at the lack of options. There is a market for it, any big name can make a big splash and can eat up most of the market. With that being said, I wonder how viable a dashcam that doesn't have a blocky body is.

[IMG]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3418/dashcamidea.jpg[/IMG]
I noticed garmin has a dual camera setup like in your picture, but it's only available in Taiwan for now. They are on ebay but pretty expensive (nearly $300 after shipping).

http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/ontheroad/gdr35/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)