Automotive

Dash cam installer in Metro Vancouver? RPM Electronics ok?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 9:01 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
449 posts
41 upvotes

Dash cam installer in Metro Vancouver? RPM Electronics ok?

So, I bought the Viofo A129 from the sale yesterday. Wondering if anyone in Metro Vancouver could suggest a place that installs & hardwires the dashcam for me? My car is just a couple of months old and I don't want to mess with the fuse box as I know nothing of it. I know Blackboxmycar in Richmond. I googled and found RPM Electronics in Burnaby that mostly installs stereos but does dash cams as well. Anyone has experience with them? Any other places that I can look into?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3576 posts
1289 upvotes
Toronto
Did you buy the hardwire kit as well? If you didnt, just plug it in your cig lighter and route it along the A pillar of your car.

I bought the same deal and got the hardwiring kit. You need constant power and acc line, that turns on and off, with the ignition so it knows to turn on the parking mode.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1633 posts
250 upvotes
Nice dashcam and good video quality.
Only drawback for me is it does not have buffer parking mode.
Anyways re the install, I would stick with BBMC as that's pretty much all they do.
Personally it's not too hard to install it yourself if you have a circuit tester (just get one from crappy tire, the cheap one is about $6). You will need a crimping tool though for the add-a-fuse to do it properly (vs wrapping the wire in the fuse).
As with the trimming tools, pretty cheap on Amazon.

This is still an RFD forum, so spend the money on a circuit tester and a crimper and save some money.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
449 posts
41 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:33 pm
Did you buy the hardwire kit as well? If you didnt, just plug it in your cig lighter and route it along the A pillar of your car.

I bought the same deal and got the hardwiring kit. You need constant power and acc line, that turns on and off, with the ignition so it knows to turn on the parking mode.
I bought the hardwire kit & fuses as well.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
449 posts
41 upvotes
doberman_baby wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:11 pm
Nice dashcam and good video quality.
Only drawback for me is it does not have buffer parking mode.
Anyways re the install, I would stick with BBMC as that's pretty much all they do.
Personally it's not too hard to install it yourself if you have a circuit tester (just get one from crappy tire, the cheap one is about $6). You will need a crimping tool though for the add-a-fuse to do it properly (vs wrapping the wire in the fuse).
As with the trimming tools, pretty cheap on Amazon.

This is still an RFD forum, so spend the money on a circuit tester and a crimper and save some money.
My new car is a Prius V which I bought just a couple of months ago. I seriously do not want to mess with the fuse box to do the hardwiring.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4130 posts
503 upvotes
i had the same worry (albeit a much older car), you're not splicing anything unlike a radio install, so everything is reversible on your car side of things

crimping tool + add-a-fuse is really straight forward...and you gain a new tool/skill too

but if you really dont trust yourself, i believe bpg in richmond is highly reputable too, so is soundsgood
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)