Automotive

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1420 posts
862 upvotes
I understand the interaction part (just like cellphone, headunit, etc), how police would see that as distracted driving. But rather the fact that it's in the view of the front windshield, because apparently a friend of a friend got ticketed for it. Then again, you see many people with windshield mounted cellphone/GPS.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17867 upvotes
GTA, ON
n0thing wrote: I understand the interaction part (just like cellphone, headunit, etc), how police would see that as distracted driving. But rather the fact that it's in the view of the front windshield, because apparently a friend of a friend got ticketed for it. Then again, you see many people with windshield mounted cellphone/GPS.
Then that friend of a friend must have had it smack dab in front of the driver's view. That would be no different than a GPS unit or even a crack in the windshield.

Buy a unit with the smallest footprint and place it behind the rearview mirror.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jun 2, 2009
114 posts
51 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
n0thing wrote: I understand the interaction part (just like cellphone, headunit, etc), how police would see that as distracted driving. But rather the fact that it's in the view of the front windshield, because apparently a friend of a friend got ticketed for it. Then again, you see many people with windshield mounted cellphone/GPS.
I can't speak for the particulars of this incident, but it sounds like the unit was positioned in a way that was blocking view. Mine has a very low profile and it stuck to the windshield with a double-sided tape (I hate suction cups) right next to the rear-view mirror. You can't even see it is there from the outside (and look like something worth stealing).
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Distracted also means hands-free so if the individual is observed operating the dashcam while driving, they will likely get a ticket. A cam that doesn't sleep and has constant live view positioned upwards in front of the rearview mirror and not in direct forward view of the driver should not be of concern.
Mar 23, 2005
200 posts
32 upvotes
Hi there!!!

Can someone help me out?
I'll be purchsing the VIOFO 129 duo. What wire kit do I buy so my husband can use the parking mode?

Was hoping to see this go on sale for Christmas now thinking it won't.

Thanks for your help!!!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3946 posts
2935 upvotes
Markham
See a lot of people recommend the Viofo here. Getting my first camera and wondering if something like the the Yi 2.7" which is about $50 from time to time on Amazon any good ?
Dont want to spend $100 even tho I would assume Viofo is better overall ?
Thanks
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17867 upvotes
GTA, ON
savemoresaveoften wrote: See a lot of people recommend the Viofo here. Getting my first camera and wondering if something like the the Yi 2.7" which is about $50 from time to time on Amazon any good ?
Thanks
You get what you pay for. (That said, I wouldn't go buy one of those $400 cams.)
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
savemoresaveoften wrote: See a lot of people recommend the Viofo here. Getting my first camera and wondering if something like the the Yi 2.7" which is about $50 from time to time on Amazon any good ?
Thanks
There's a reason why Viofo is highly recommended.
You can wait until it goes on sale, usually below $100 without the gps.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
Looking to purchase a dual cam combo for relative's Lexus NX300.

Which of the 2 options below is a overall better investment?

1. Viofo A129 combo with 3 wire kit for parking mode
2. Vantrue N2 Pro or N2

Major criteria:
- Needs parking mode
- prefer on-board LCD screen

Does any of you that have experiences with either of these units have any advice to share? ATM can't decide between the 2. We like the wider coverage of the Vanture units, but also like the low profile of the Viofo unit. All our other dashcams are low profile units.

TIA.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
libballeng wrote: Looking to purchase a dual cam combo for relative's Lexus NX300.

Which of the 2 options below is a overall better investment?

1. Viofo A129 combo with 3 wire kit for parking mode
2. Vantrue N2 Pro or N2

Major criteria:
- Needs parking mode
- prefer on-board LCD screen

Does any of you that have experiences with either of these units have any advice to share? ATM can't decide between the 2. We like the wider coverage of the Vanture units, but also like the low profile of the Viofo unit. All our other dashcams are low profile units.

TIA.
The Thinkware f200 front and rear with wifi and gps when on sale as it is here for $199.99 is a good choice. The f800 non pro with rear cam goes on sale from time to time for $300. I bought it for $300 and love it. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/th ... 43273.aspx?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/th ... 14235.aspx?
Bear in mind though that if you are serious about parking mode you likely will also need a selink neo battery backup. With out battery backup one to two hours of parking surveillance is all you can expect with one hour being the usual norm in winter.
Also most all dash cams list -10 as being the cold limit for operating temperature. This is kind of an ambiguous number as I don't see lower temps being much different to a camera. I have used thinkwares x500 in -25 ambient temps with no problems other than reduced parking surveillance times and that is due to your cars battery not the dash cam. You can set the cam to turn off at the cars battery voltage, I set mine to turn off when the cars battery gets to 11.9 volts.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Mar 23, 2005
200 posts
32 upvotes
anyone think the Viofo 129 will go on sale next couple of days?
Been waiting....
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
tbumstead wrote: anyone think the Viofo 129 will go on sale next couple of days?
Been waiting....
Don't wait, just buy it. Best investment you'll make. What happens if you get into an accident while waiting for it to go on sale?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
I have not seen the Garmin speak plus with Alexa discussed in this thread. The only thing that seems like a deal killer is the field of view being really small at 82 degrees. I have seen videos from reviews and it doesn't seem like that bad of a problem. Can anyone comment on how important it is to have a really wide field of view and what angle should be considered a minimum.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
will888 wrote: I have not seen the Garmin speak plus with Alexa discussed in this thread. The only thing that seems like a deal killer is the field of view being really small at 82 degrees. I have seen videos from reviews and it doesn't seem like that bad of a problem. Can anyone comment on how important it is to have a really wide field of view and what angle should be considered a minimum.
The main issue with a small FOV is that its going to miss potentially important details that even your human eye would've caught. I suspect the bare minimum you should seek today is 120 which is nearly what the human eye can see. Many cameras are measured with something called "wide angle view" this is measured diagonally so its not necessarily a FOV but to at least get what your human eye sees you'll want at least 140 of that number which many cameras easily achieve these days. If the Garmin speak plus calculated its FOV based on view angle thus the 82 was measured diagonally...then it might be disastrously small potentially missing far more details than just plain peripheral vision.

Ideally the bigger the FOV the better as it will show details that even you behind the wheel might've not caught. In the event of any incident the more information the camera can capture the more likely all can see the truth of what happened.
- Jegan V
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3946 posts
2935 upvotes
Markham
whats the lowest price expected for the Viofi V119 v2 with/without GPS ? track Amazon and it does not look like its ever on lightning deal ?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
savemoresaveoften wrote: whats the lowest price expected for the Viofi V119 v2 with/without GPS ? track Amazon and it does not look like its ever on lightning deal ?
CCC says $68 back in Aug
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2270 posts
1724 upvotes
Thanks
Viofo. Big difference imho
Mar 4, 2017
310 posts
172 upvotes
Deciding between the Thinkware F800 non-pro vs Viofo A129 2-ch, any thoughts ? Don’t think I’ll be using parking mode.