Automotive

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15651 posts
3442 upvotes
Toronto
Is safe to keep the dash cam suction cup attached or take it off and reattach each time?
Mar 20, 2013
540 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
FalconR wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 8:11 pm
I need dashcams for two vehicles so that cut my budget in half, I have been doing a lot of reading over at dashcamtalk.com and skimmed through this thread, and I think I have narrowed the choices down to these "budget" dual dash cams: Viofo A129 and AUKEY DR02D.

Which one would you guys recommend?

Features I was looking for: front and rear dashcams, parking mode, capacitor due to very hot/cold weather, reliable, decent video day/night quality.
I am not a guru, but judging by the support I would choose Viofo (they have a great community). On the other side Aukey offers no firmware support, but 2 years warranty. I want to buy Viofo A129, but I am still waiting for a promo (RFD eh!). Also Viofo has some accesories which prove to be quite necessary.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7831 posts
1669 upvotes
???
carmaster wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 8:24 pm
Is safe to keep the dash cam suction cup attached or take it off and reattach each time?
Depends the area you park i guess
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300Mbps $25 Unlimited
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9736 posts
1159 upvotes
iioonneell wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 8:38 pm
I am not a guru, but judging by the support I would choose Viofo (they have a great community). On the other side Aukey offers no firmware support, but 2 years warranty. I want to buy Viofo A129, but I am still waiting for a promo (RFD eh!). Also Viofo has some accesories which prove to be quite necessary.
I am also waiting for the A129 to go on sale.. but in the meantime, I got the AUKEY. Will offload the AUKEY to family if I ever get the A129
Nov 22, 2011
593 posts
67 upvotes
Batcave
iioonneell wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 8:38 pm
Good info. Looks like I'm going to wait on a deal for the A129 too!
taro-chan wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 3:57 pm
I am also waiting for the A129 to go on sale.. but in the meantime, I got the AUKEY. Will offload the AUKEY to family if I ever get the A129
Can you share your thoughts on your AUKEY? Thanks.
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7027 posts
2995 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Christmas approaches. I'm sure Amazon and their affliates will be having a sale on Viofo's soon.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Feb 8, 2011
25 posts
6 upvotes
How do these dashcams perform during winter when it is below -10 degrees outside and your car has been parked outside all night? Seems like most of these do not mention operating temperature?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7027 posts
2995 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
lichxx wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 5:04 pm
How do these dashcams perform during winter when it is below -10 degrees outside and your car has been parked outside all night? Seems like most of these do not mention operating temperature?
it should still work but guaranteed operation may only start to work once the vehicle gets to above 0 temps. Also one has to think about proper operating temperature of the microSD card too. I've never had a problem with any of my dash cams and I park outside. I would only say extreme temperatures like -20°C or +35°C things got sketchy, but it worked properly after the car warmed or cooled down. At most, things may be screwy in the first few minutes.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3669 posts
830 upvotes
Vancouver
lichxx wrote:
You could always ask one of the Edmonton Dashcammer's in their YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DriversofEdmonton/about

https://www.youtube.com/user/DJBalkan01/feed

Mar 27, 2010
412 posts
82 upvotes
Montreal
lichxx wrote:
I can only speak for the Mobius camera. It has been trouble free all year since 2012, summer and winter.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1016 posts
401 upvotes
Looks like I'll be getting the A129 next. Aliexpress will have it on sale for their 11.11 event for $148 USD and there's also a decent deal on eBay with a hard wiring kit and fuse for $157 USD.

If anyone wants to pick up a cheaper cam to get you by in the GTA, I have a Yi dash cam (https://www.carcamcentral.com/review/xi ... era-review) that I want to sell.
Oct 30, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

This is a TOGUARD Dual Dash Camera , connected with EKYLIN Auto OBD2 Charging Cable Mini USB Power Adapter 24/7 power.
Please note I actually forgot to remove the plastic protector from the lens during the day time. that's why the night quality is more clear. For links just see youtube description for the dash and wire.
Last edited by Romans9o9 on Nov 1st, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15651 posts
3442 upvotes
Toronto
Romans9o9 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 8:44 am

This is a TOGUARD Dual Dash Camera , connected with EKYLIN Auto OBD2 Charging Cable Mini USB Power Adapter 24/7 power.
Please note I actually forgot to remove the plastic protector from the lens during the day time. that's why the night quality is more clear. For links just see youtube description for the dash and wire.
This doesn't drain your battery?
Oct 30, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
It does but I have a AGM battery. 20hours and it was still working. So depending on your battery you'd have to test it yourself. It all comes down to how Ah (amp Hours) your battery has. Mine is 100ah.