Automotive

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Mar 4, 2006
426 posts
100 upvotes
Any Viofo A129 Duo owner here? Looking at the 2 channel unit because they seem to have a pretty action community and the company is asking users to make improvement to their product. I have read the thread on DashcamTalk about their new parking mode. There was mentions of a delay of around 6 seconds for the unit to switch from parking to normal driving mode with no video is being recorded. But no mention on what happens when the unit detects an event while in parking mode. I want to know if there is a period of no video is being recorded when it detects an event(in low bit rate, motion detect, or G-sensor) while it switches to normal video recording from any of these parking mode. Thanks.
Jun 2, 2009
96 posts
26 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
carmaster wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 1:03 pm
This doesn't drain your battery?
I have my dashcam connected to a USB battery pack. The pack itself is connected to a fast charge lighter socket charger that is on when the car is running. So the battery pack is recharged when I drive and the dashcam is constantly running without draining the car's battery. Once in a while, I'll bring the pack inside for a top off.
Dec 16, 2013
143 posts
13 upvotes
Scarborough
I've always been wondering - are most dash cams nowadays shock-resistant enough to survive accidents? Say for example, if you got into a head-on collision. Will the dash cam still be in working order after the collision (meaning will the captured footage be alright and retrievable with no loss of information)? Methinks it would defeat one of the main purposes of a dash cam if they generally break during a collision.
Oct 30, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Think that's one of those questions that can't really be answered. Most manufactures will say yes but in reality it depends on the built quality and shock survivability. If it stays in place I would think so, but if it goes flying inside the vehicle or outside the chances reduce drastically.
Dec 16, 2013
143 posts
13 upvotes
Scarborough
Romans9o9 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 2:53 am
Think that's one of those questions that can't really be answered. Most manufactures will say yes but in reality it depends on the built quality and shock survivability. If it stays in place I would think so, but if it goes flying inside the vehicle or outside the chances reduce drastically.
Thanks, yea, that's the common sense answer, definitely. I was just wondering if anyone could relay from personal experience which brands/models were better than which (e.g. which models were more likely to stay put during an accident).
Last edited by vanizorc on Nov 4th, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 2, 2009
96 posts
26 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
There are plenty of dashcam footages on Youtube where you see the car rolling over and the camera is still recording. They seem to fare okay. The Aukley dashcam I have uses a 2 sided tape to stick to the windshield and not a suction cup. I'd imagine it'll stay in place. The microSD card is quite a tiny thing to destroy. You'd get at least a recording of the action if the camera is no longer functional, but the odds of that tiny SD card to be unusable are fairly low, I'd imagine.
Dec 16, 2013
143 posts
13 upvotes
Scarborough
MarcP wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 8:22 am
There are plenty of dashcam footages on Youtube where you see the car rolling over and the camera is still recording. They seem to fare okay. The Aukley dashcam I have uses a 2 sided tape to stick to the windshield and not a suction cup. I'd imagine it'll stay in place. The microSD card is quite a tiny thing to destroy. You'd get at least a recording of the action if the camera is no longer functional, but the odds of that tiny SD card to be unusable are fairly low, I'd imagine.
I've been looking for such videos on YT (where the camera keeps rolling when the vehicle it's in gets into an accident...couldn't find any..only saw the usual recordings of other accidents happening). I was wondering just in case I got into an accident , if the footage up until that point, or during the collision, would keep viable afterwards for insurance and other purposes. I guess even if the camera malfunctions, the SD card will have at least recorded the moment up until the collision.

I will definitely also look for models with two-sided tape attachments. The suction cups ones don't seem all too stable to me.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15656 posts
3446 upvotes
Toronto
Which is the best micro sd card to get the best quality?
Jun 2, 2009
96 posts
26 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
FalconR wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 8:11 pm
I think I have narrowed the choices down to these "budget" dual dash cams: Viofo A129 and AUKEY DR02D.
I have the DR02D and you can find my review on Amazon under Marc P. It's a good cam, but the read camera has really poor night time performance. If you're looking at quality night time recording on both ends, this isn't the unit you want.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8598 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
MarcP wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 3:22 pm
I have my dashcam connected to a USB battery pack. The pack itself is connected to a fast charge lighter socket charger that is on when the car is running. So the battery pack is recharged when I drive and the dashcam is constantly running without draining the car's battery. Once in a while, I'll bring the pack inside for a top off.
Wouldn't the cold destroy the battery pack? Not to mention the risk of having that big of a battery in the car getting baked in the summer.
Jun 2, 2009
96 posts
26 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
chinesedevil wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:38 pm
Wouldn't the cold destroy the battery pack? Not to mention the risk of having that big of a battery in the car getting baked in the summer.
I'm in Calgary. There is no summer baking that you speak of. :) I also have a car battery booster pack that I carry around which has helped neighbors and co-workers. Summer or winter, both have been solid.
May 30, 2017
57 posts
13 upvotes
Any recommendations for a dual channel dashcam with a rear cam mounted to the license plate? I've grown dependent on that type of rear cam from using the AUTO-VOX M2, which surprisingly still works for a $100 set, but I've never been impressed by the video quality.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9870 posts
1806 upvotes
Montréal
This may or may not be useful for some carcam users:

I found that perhaps high endurance SD cards are not necessarily imperative afterall. I didn't even know about them when I had my first carcam and everything worked fine w/ reg cards. However, ever since I got my 2nd carcam which was newer/better, I started having problems and thought it was because I was using reg cards so I bought a High Endurance one and it worked better but I still experienced prbs. Turned out that I was using a lousy car-to-USB adapter, it only has an output of 1,000MA when it probably should be at least double: somehow this made the carcam buggy. Well, that's my 2c.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

chimaican