Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5691 posts
1296 upvotes
Markham
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 2:43 am
This may or may not be useful for some carcam users:

I found that perhaps high endurance SD cards are not necessarily imperative afterall. I didn't even know about them when I had my first carcam and everything worked fine w/ reg cards. However, ever since I got my 2nd carcam which was newer/better, I started having problems and thought it was because I was using reg cards so I bought a High Endurance one and it worked better but I still experienced prbs. Turned out that I was using a lousy car-to-USB adapter, it only has an output of 1,000MA when it probably should be at least double: somehow this made the carcam buggy. Well, that's my 2c.
So the dash you bought didn't have a car adapter or did u just choose to use your own under powered adapter?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9841 posts
1794 upvotes
Montréal
gr8dlr wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 11:13 am
So the dash you bought didn't have a car adapter or did u just choose to use your own under powered adapter?
I don't think any carcam comes w a cigarette-to-usb adapter, right? (EDIT: some only have usb connection so gotta buy one yourself, I understand some have a cigarette lighter adapter included). Anyway, I didn't know better and just got whatever adapter. Now it should be alright since I now know some cameras need more power and bought higher output adapters.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Nov 10th, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7027 posts
2995 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 12:46 pm
I don't think any carcam comes w a cigarette-to-usb adapter, right? Anyway, I didn't know better and just got whatever adapter. Now it should be alright since I now know some cameras need more power and bought higher output adapters.
Viofo is powered via USB. It comes with a cigarette-to-USB adapter.

ImageImage
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9841 posts
1794 upvotes
Montréal
chimaican wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 12:54 pm

ImageImage
Tx, I was just focused on my cams, which only allow for usb connection, so gotta buy an adapter myself.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Nov 10th, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5691 posts
1296 upvotes
Markham
chimaican wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 12:54 pm

ImageImage
Viofo was my first and only dash cam so I thought all dash cams came with the car adapter.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1015 posts
207 upvotes
Winnipeg
Any thoughts on the Papago GoSafe S780 from Costco? Link To Costco Camera

This would be my first camera & although it is on the pricey side at $340 all in - it has the advantage of being from Costco so if I found it not suitable - I could return it within 90 days for a full refund.

My requirements are dual cameras, discrete, good video quality and being able to use it in Winnipeg all winter long ... where our crooks think nothing of breaking into cars. This one comes with a 2" video screen - which I really don't need - I would be happy with a smaller unit with no screen as I understand the screen is not really necessary after the camera is secured in place and aimed properly.

I have not given much thought to needing a 'parking mode' - but understand that if I do - I am best to get one with a low voltage cutoff as car batteries have a way of dying here during the long cold winter days ...and even colder ... nights.
Jun 15, 2011
38662 posts
5605 upvotes
King City
Hey guys. How goes? It has been a while since I posted here. I wanted to pick up a 1 channel dash cam that is reasonably priced (doesn't break the bank a lot), and that has "satisfactory" video recording quality. I don't care for fancy features like WiFi or a built in GPS, etc. Just wanted something for my winter beater. Won't be hardwiring it either, as it'll run off the arm rest 12v port of a dual splitter.

That being said, can anyone lead me in the right direction? What's new out there? Re the video quality, I want to be able to actually view the license plate #s and street signs in day and night, and all weather conditions if applicable.

T.I.A
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
574 posts
134 upvotes
London, ON
djemzine wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 11:11 pm
Hey guys. How goes? It has been a while since I posted here. I wanted to pick up a 1 channel dash cam that is reasonably priced (doesn't break the bank a lot), and that has "satisfactory" video recording quality. I don't care for fancy features like WiFi or a built in GPS, etc. Just wanted something for my winter beater. Won't be hardwiring it either, as it'll run off the arm rest 12v port of a dual splitter.

That being said, can anyone lead me in the right direction? What's new out there? Re the video quality, I want to be able to actually view the license plate #s and street signs in day and night, and all weather conditions if applicable.

T.I.A
Looking for a new cam or 2 as well... Mine will be hardwired to the battery

Something that can withstand Winter and Summer temperatures here in Southern Canada, capacitor no battery
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7027 posts
2995 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
djemzine wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 11:11 pm

T.I.A
Viofo A119S

Amazon has it on sale from time to time.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Oct 8, 2008
330 posts
72 upvotes
Need the experts help. Any recommendations for good front and rear cameras with good picture quality (including night time) that can just be installed into usb or cigarette lighter ports that don't need hard wiring and maybe stuck on the windshield or with suction top mounts?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2800 posts
1537 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Just purchased Thinkware F800 Pro dual channel with Cellink Neo. Pretty pricey but want front and back along with parking mode. Don't trust the shitty drivers in GVA.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5459 posts
1511 upvotes
Cornwall PE
bomber17 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 3:51 pm
Just purchased Thinkware F800 Pro dual channel with Cellink Neo. Pretty pricey but want front and back along with parking mode. Don't trust the shitty drivers in GVA.
What was the price? The non pro f800d as stated by sickcars, (as far as I can see it doesn't support more than 64 gb cards) is on sale at bb with rear cam for $299.
Ah, only to 64 gbs, does not support cloud function, and disable timer cutoff function (what ever that is). At any rate a $100 or more price difference I think the non pro with rear camera a possible better choice. Also the f800d includes a hardware kit, guess I might have one to sell as I have an extra one I bought as I intended to get either a thinkware or blackview for my 86 monte in the future and bought an extra hardwire kit when they were on sale for $19.99. In intend to put the f800d in my newer car and the thinkware x550 with rear cam that's presently in it in my monte.
Last edited by betamaxman on Nov 25th, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

ejung096