Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5459 posts
1511 upvotes
Cornwall PE
user007 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 3:47 pm
Need the experts help. Any recommendations for good front and rear cameras with good picture quality (including night time) that can just be installed into usb or cigarette lighter ports that don't need hard wiring and maybe stuck on the windshield or with suction top mounts?

Thanks
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/th ... 14235.aspx?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/th ... 43273.aspx?
Beleive they come with cig lighter plugs but really the hard wire is not that hard to install and usually goes on sale for $19 amazon bb and other places.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/th ... 98921.aspx?
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2813 posts
1543 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
betamaxman wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 6:46 pm
What was the price? The non pro f800d as stated by sickcars, (as far as I can see it doesn't support more than 64 gb cards) is on sale at bb with rear cam for $299.
Ah, only to 64 gbs, does not support cloud function, and disable timer cutoff function (what ever that is). At any rate a $100 or more price difference I think the non pro with rear camera a possible better choice. Also the f800d includes a hardware kit, guess I might have one to sell as I have an extra one I bought as I intended to get either a thinkware or blackview for my 86 monte in the future and bought an extra hardwire kit when they were on sale for $19.99. In intend to put the f800d in my newer car and the thinkware x550 with rear cam that's presently in it in my monte.
After installation and everything, I think it came to about $1000. I got 128GB card instead.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Mar 23, 2005
127 posts
3 upvotes
Trying to figure out what the best DUO cam is between these two..... Viofo or Aukey?

Amy suggestions?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3465 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
tbumstead wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 9:22 am
Trying to figure out what the best DUO cam is between these two..... Viofo or Aukey?

Amy suggestions?
Aukey is resupplier. They don't make dash cam like viofo do. You also want your dash cam to have latest firmware. Viofo releases on timely manner firmware for a119s for example. Keypoint imo is the wifi on viofo a129 duo. Does aukey have wifi? Such a convenient feature.
Jun 19, 2007
54 posts
35 upvotes
Here are a few resources I check often regarding dash cams:

Car Cam Central: Youtube channel with good reviews, comparisons, and recommendations
DashcamTalk: Forum and reviews
Blackboxmycar.ca: Popular online store specializing in dash cams

Hope this helps any dash cam neophytes out there
Nov 2, 2012
640 posts
599 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thought I would post this here for RFD Viofo A119S owners running FW 2.61 or older.

The newest official FW 4.0 has just been posted. Should be a big improvement in picture quality over 2.61 as they've incorporated a lot of tweaks from our mod beta testing. Won't be quite where our mods are, as we're usually ahead of the official releases, but you should see good improvement for both day and night video.

It now gives you options for sharpness levels, so test which one you prefer best. It will also give the option of boosting the bitrate for additional picture clarity, but you file sizes will be larger, so that's up to you. WDR has also been improved, but I personally don't bother using it.

https://support.viofo.com/support/solut ... a-firmware
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1927 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Caerus wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 12:56 pm
Thought I would post this here for RFD Viofo A119S owners running FW 2.61 or older.

The newest official FW 4.0 has just been posted. Should be a big improvement in picture quality over 2.61 as they've incorporated a lot of tweaks from our mod beta testing. Won't be quite where our mods are, as we're usually ahead of the official releases, but you should see good improvement for both day and night video.

It now gives you options for sharpness levels, so test which one you prefer best. It will also give the option of boosting the bitrate for additional picture clarity, but you file sizes will be larger, so that's up to you. WDR has also been improved, but I personally don't bother using it.

https://support.viofo.com/support/solut ... a-firmware
Thanks. Do you have link to where I can check the videos comparing latest firmware and 2.61?
Nov 2, 2012
640 posts
599 upvotes
Winnipeg
boldventure wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:11 pm
Thanks. Do you have link to where I can check the videos comparing latest firmware and 2.61?
I don't sorry. Official FW 4.0 just came out yesterday.

If you look in the RFD dashcam videos thread though, anyone else who posted videos with an A119S will be running FW 2.61. You don't need to look though the whole thread, maybe the most recent 5 - 10 pages and you'll find examples. All of mine will be from custom beta mods of 4.0+. You'll see something like 6Np/q/w/v etc.

FW4.0 has taken tweaks from those, so picture quality would be similar to those posted by me in the thread, not quite as good as we're already working on several versions newer, but still a boost.

For example, one of the beta mods from my cam:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7037 posts
3005 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Caerus wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:35 pm
I don't sorry. Official FW 4.0 just came out yesterday.

If you look in the RFD dashcam videos thread though, anyone else who posted videos with an A119S will be running FW 2.61. You don't need to look though the whole thread, maybe the most recent 5 - 10 pages and you'll find examples. All of mine will be from custom beta mods of 4.0+. You'll see something like 6Np/q/w/v etc.

FW4.0 has taken tweaks from those, so picture quality would be similar to those posted by me in the thread, not quite as good as we're already working on several versions newer, but still a boost.

For example, one of the beta mods from my cam:
Awesome.... thanks.

I don't really like to play around with settings, I prefer to leave things at default with the assumption that the default settings work best. Will this firmware update still improve the picture without having to manually tweak anything?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 2, 2012
640 posts
599 upvotes
Winnipeg
chimaican wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 4:47 pm
Awesome.... thanks.

I don't really like to play around with settings, I prefer to leave things at default with the assumption that the default settings work best. Will this firmware update still improve the picture without having to manually tweak anything?
Yeah, the picture will still be improved with default settings. It will default to the lower bitrate, which is the same one you have with 2.61. Sharpness I think will be set to normal. The settings aren't difficult at all, just extra options in the normal menu, like when you're setting the date/time, GPS, timezone, etc. It's just been added to the list.
Mar 23, 2005
127 posts
3 upvotes
so I'm going to be ordering the Viofo Duo.

Do I have to order wired separate? I don't see that they come with any.

Thanks!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6783 posts
3888 upvotes
Are there any have wireless dash cams?

And how much to get a dash cam installed, im very bad when it comes to these things.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

chimaican