Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1621 posts
248 upvotes
Sanyo wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 12:13 am
Are there any have wireless dash cams?

And how much to get a dash cam installed, im very bad when it comes to these things.
What do you mean by wireless dashcam? Do you mean WiF? Front/rear channels wireless?

As to installation, it depends on the camera, your car, single or dual channel (or more), hardwired, battery pack etc. I would say easily $200 on a basic setup.

Most handy guys/gals can install it, actually not too difficult. Just need some trimming tools (cheap online). If you want to hardwire to car fuse or hardwire a battery pack, you will need additional tools like a crimper, fuse taps, a circuit tester or multimeter.
Jul 14, 2013
484 posts
62 upvotes
Has anybody received a distracted driving ticket for a dashcam screen staying on? I know you can have the screen turned off after a few minutes, but leaving it on tells me that it's working/recording. It'll be ok if it's mounted behind the rear view mirror?
Jun 2, 2009
97 posts
26 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Having it on doesn't mean you're distracted. Today's cars also come with head units that are always on, but I often have to interact with it to turn on heated steering wheel, change radio station, adjust heat, etc.
Jan 17, 2009
311 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
n0thing wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 10:03 am
Has anybody received a distracted driving ticket for a dashcam screen staying on? I know you can have the screen turned off after a few minutes, but leaving it on tells me that it's working/recording. It'll be ok if it's mounted behind the rear view mirror?
If you're interacting with it while its on then its distracted driver, but in the same way a phone being mounted on the dash isn't DD, neither is a dashcam.

Personally i found the screen hugely annoying and it was one of the reasons my current dashcam doesn't have one.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7041 posts
3010 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Ecsta wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 1:30 pm
Personally i found the screen hugely annoying and it was one of the reasons my current dashcam doesn't have one.
this

That's why I have the screen turned off except for the first 30 seconds and have it placed behind rearview camera. As long as the picture is good at boot up and the LED is blinking, I know it's working.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jul 14, 2013
484 posts
62 upvotes
I understand the interaction part (just like cellphone, headunit, etc), how police would see that as distracted driving. But rather the fact that it's in the view of the front windshield, because apparently a friend of a friend got ticketed for it. Then again, you see many people with windshield mounted cellphone/GPS.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7041 posts
3010 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
n0thing wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 2:40 pm
I understand the interaction part (just like cellphone, headunit, etc), how police would see that as distracted driving. But rather the fact that it's in the view of the front windshield, because apparently a friend of a friend got ticketed for it. Then again, you see many people with windshield mounted cellphone/GPS.
Then that friend of a friend must have had it smack dab in front of the driver's view. That would be no different than a GPS unit or even a crack in the windshield.

Buy a unit with the smallest footprint and place it behind the rearview mirror.

Jun 2, 2009
97 posts
26 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
n0thing wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 2:40 pm
I can't speak for the particulars of this incident, but it sounds like the unit was positioned in a way that was blocking view. Mine has a very low profile and it stuck to the windshield with a double-sided tape (I hate suction cups) right next to the rear-view mirror. You can't even see it is there from the outside (and look like something worth stealing).
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11033 posts
5179 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Distracted also means hands-free so if the individual is observed operating the dashcam while driving, they will likely get a ticket. A cam that doesn't sleep and has constant live view positioned upwards in front of the rearview mirror and not in direct forward view of the driver should not be of concern.
Mar 23, 2005
130 posts
3 upvotes
Hi there!!!

Can someone help me out?
I'll be purchsing the VIOFO 129 duo. What wire kit do I buy so my husband can use the parking mode?

Was hoping to see this go on sale for Christmas now thinking it won't.

Thanks for your help!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7854 posts
1694 upvotes
???
tbumstead wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 4:34 pm
Hi there!!!

Can someone help me out?
I'll be purchsing the VIOFO 129 duo. What wire kit do I buy so my husband can use the parking mode?

Was hoping to see this go on sale for Christmas now thinking it won't.

Thanks for your help!!!
https://www.viofo.com/accessories/108-8 ... t_included
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300Mbps $25 Unlimited
May 3, 2008
636 posts
237 upvotes
Markham
See a lot of people recommend the Viofo here. Getting my first camera and wondering if something like the the Yi 2.7" which is about $50 from time to time on Amazon any good ?
Dont want to spend $100 even tho I would assume Viofo is better overall ?
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7041 posts
3010 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 3:25 pm
See a lot of people recommend the Viofo here. Getting my first camera and wondering if something like the the Yi 2.7" which is about $50 from time to time on Amazon any good ?
Thanks
You get what you pay for. (That said, I wouldn't go buy one of those $400 cams.)

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1944 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto, ON
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 3:25 pm
Thanks
There's a reason why Viofo is highly recommended.
You can wait until it goes on sale, usually below $100 without the gps.