Automotive

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21701 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
Thorkell wrote: The car audio shop guy is recommending thinkware dashcam, they said they will do some sophisticated installation which will trigger the camera to record if someone hits your car when you are away.

The driving is becoming comedic every day, so I need something to capture this shit.
That's just parking mode. Every dash cam (including the Viofo one I just recommended) can do this but you need to wire it properly.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2483 posts
699 upvotes
Winnipeg
gr8dlr wrote: Lot of ppl have VIOFO Dash Cam. The V3 is $125 right now after $15 coupon. You also need a MicroSD card.

https://www.amazon.ca/VIOFO-Buffered-25 ... hdGY&psc=1

If you're ok with no screen and you want discreet. The VIOFO WM1 is $119 [CAD and no tax]

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/303-viofo-wm ... ensor.html

Maybe watch a couple of reviews on each model

I have both models and a V2 as well. I have no issues with VIOFO.
Thank you, I bought the 119. Took a chance on the $85 refurb as it's shipped by Amazon so support is there. Looks good for my needs. Thanks!
😉
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11102 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
bman77 wrote: Thank you, I bought the 119. Took a chance on the $85 refurb as it's shipped by Amazon so support is there. Looks good for my needs. Thanks!
Just remember you need the hardware kit if you want the parking mode feature mentioned above
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2483 posts
699 upvotes
Winnipeg
iSimple wrote: Just remember you need the hardware kit if you want the parking mode feature mentioned above
Thanks. I may add it but will just use the cigarette lighter for now. I don't park outside too often except at work but I'm not too worried there. May add in the future. Appreciate the advice!
😉
May 26, 2018
135 posts
61 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Lot of ppl have VIOFO Dash Cam. The V3 is $125 right now after $15 coupon. You also need a MicroSD card.

https://www.amazon.ca/VIOFO-Buffered-25 ... hdGY&psc=1

If you're ok with no screen and you want discreet. The VIOFO WM1 is $119 [CAD and no tax]

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/303-viofo-wm ... ensor.html

Maybe watch a couple of reviews on each model

I have both models and a V2 as well. I have no issues with VIOFO.
I like how discreet the WM1 is. Were there duties when you ordered directly from VIOFO and how quickly was the shipping? Thanks.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21701 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
Elison wrote: I like how discreet the WM1 is. Were there duties when you ordered directly from VIOFO and how quickly was the shipping? Thanks.
No duties or taxes or anything - it was $102 when I bought it. Shipping didn't take long - maybe a week and change.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
6762 posts
2096 upvotes
Anyone tried the Viofo A229 Plus Duo? Not the A229 Duo or Pro mode, but rather their in-between model A229 Plus that does 2K both front and back.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6144 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
I installed my A129 Plus Duo without their official kit because I don't need parking, using just a split tap and the cigarette lighter hardwired but I find my dashcam restarting in random places. Do you think it would work better if I just use their kit?
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Apr 20, 2011
898 posts
112 upvotes
Scarborough
Need a recommendation for new front and rear dashcam. Is VIOFO A119 V3 from Amazon still the top recommended one? Costco only has Garmin ones, not sure how Garmin stacks up against Viofo.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10107 posts
12726 upvotes
Toronto
dainfamous41 wrote: Need a recommendation for new front and rear dashcam. Is VIOFO A119 V3 from Amazon still the top recommended one? Costco only has Garmin ones, not sure how Garmin stacks up against Viofo.
I run the Garmin 67W in the front and Mini 2 in the rear. The cameras are ok, but the software is crap. Slow to load the live feeds, especially the rear cam.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)