• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2015 1:56 am
Tags:
None
Mar 20, 2008
899 posts
132 upvotes

Dashcam!!

Guys... I just bought a new car Kia Sorento and looking for which dashcam to buy.. I was thinking of getting G1W-C .. Any good/bad reviews about this dashcam or should I opt for some other brand?

Thanks.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10713 upvotes
Hamilton
Very good camera. G1w-h from Banggoods 52$
hated on but respected.
Mar 20, 2008
899 posts
132 upvotes
yao416 wrote: Very good camera. G1w-h from Banggoods 52$
G1W-H comes with battery rite? I have heard of instances where battery exploded due to extreme heat.. is this true?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10713 upvotes
Hamilton
nirajshah7 wrote: G1W-H comes with battery rite? I have heard of instances where battery exploded due to extreme heat.. is this true?
It cannot record without being plugged into power source. I've used the camera for 2 years now. All good
hated on but respected.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
3633 posts
1972 upvotes
Thornhill
thanks, i was looking for one after my accident.. :0
Feb 2, 2014
504 posts
246 upvotes
nirajshah7 wrote: G1W-H comes with battery rite? I have heard of instances where battery exploded due to extreme heat.. is this true?
Its true.
Lipo batteries can explode in extreme heat. There is only one battery that considered safe in a car and that's a sealed lead acid battery.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
nirajshah7 wrote: Guys... I just bought a new car Kia Sorento and looking for which dashcam to buy.. I was thinking of getting G1W-C .. Any good/bad reviews about this dashcam or should I opt for some other brand?

Thanks.
i got g1w-c dashcam from ******** with coupon at $41USD shipped.
no faults here, capacitor based. no complaints. it's the best at $40~USD.
but ******** shipping takes like a month.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
nirajshah7 wrote: Guys... I just bought a new car Kia Sorento and looking for which dashcam to buy.. I was thinking of getting G1W-C .. Any good/bad reviews about this dashcam or should I opt for some other brand?

Thanks.
I have the G1W-C. I prefer this model over the non capacitor version. Meant to be hardwired where as the battery version isn't really meant for that.
Oct 12, 2014
966 posts
687 upvotes
London, ON
I bought 2 G1Wc's, but I find they're a bit large and I want something smaller/more hidden. So now I just bought 3 Mobius Action Cams. Paid around $70 per G1WC, and around $85 per Mobius

G1WC

Mobius Actioncam
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8474 posts
4467 upvotes
Canuckland
If you new to cameras G1WC or if you want an adventure go for mobius or B40/A118
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3867 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill
I like my Mini 0805. The 0806 model is out now. Its small, can barely see that its there the way I have it positioned on my TSX (right behind the rear view mirror). Also it comes with a stick on mount, I don't like those suction mounts as they tend to fall off after a bit and I heard the one on the G1WC has this issue.

Yes its not portable, meaning I can't move it from my regular vehicle to a temporary vehicle but I purchased another mount with GPS to put into my second car, so now when my winter car is parked I can still use the same camera.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2261 posts
764 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gopro hero4 black here. Filming at 4k you can zoom in to licence plates nicely.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3867 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill
valeradunets wrote: Gopro hero4 black here. Filming at 4k you can zoom in to licence plates nicely.
baller

edit: never used a gopro but can they be setup to auto record as soon as power given to them ? I think this is one of the benefits of a camera designated as a car DVR.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2261 posts
764 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
mau108 wrote: baller

edit: never used a gopro but can they be setup to auto record as soon as power given to them ? I think this is one of the benefits of a camera designated as a car DVR.
That's not an issue since you shouldn't use a gopro as a dash cam unless you are planning to remove it from the car every time.. You don't want anything resembling a gopro hanging on your windshield or you will likely get your glass smashed and camera stolen. I didn't buy it as a dash cam, I just take it everywhere and stick it to the windshield when I drive. G1WC was what I was using before, it's in the wife's car now.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3210 posts
807 upvotes
I have a G1W-C. It works well. The power cord that came with it was faulty (interfered with my radio) but I emailed the seller and got a replacement and its been good ever since.

One thing I've noticed is if you don't drive your car for about a week, it will lose all its settings and revert to default.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
blackdragon12 wrote: I have a G1W-C. It works well. The power cord that came with it was faulty (interfered with my radio) but I emailed the seller and got a replacement and its been good ever since.

One thing I've noticed is if you don't drive your car for about a week, it will lose all its settings and revert to default.

All settings go to default? This a huge turn off. The mobius stores settings in a way that if power is lost completely settings stay in tack... All except time. If you don't use it in awhile you may lose time but at least all your settings are correct.