• Jan 21st, 2016 7:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 22, 2008
282 posts
40 upvotes

Dashcam of accident - opinions?

Hey all, just curious on your opinion. I'm still in progress of dealing with the outcome, so I won't release much details until it's all finalized (I'm hoping sooner rather than later). I'd like to get some unbiased opinions - and I probably don't have to ask this (lol) but don't hold back - let me know exactly what you think and if you would/could have done anything differently.

And in case anyone asks prior, I was doing the speed limit which was posted 80kmph.

237 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6110 posts
826 upvotes
Greely
Granted I'm watching this on my phone, What the hell happened here? Its hard to make out the details.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7944 posts
7923 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Dark unlit road. Tractor was on the road going slowly with a light on in the rear. OP or driver wasn't paying attention or didn't understand the light on the tractor and swerved too late and side swiped the tractor.

Can't see how this isn't 100% OP fault.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1487 posts
350 upvotes
But the tractor has no position/rear lights + you can't have white lights in the back (unless reversing).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1554 posts
894 upvotes
Ottawa
some laws require x amount of red lit back lights for night time driving, as it was a white light I can see how OP may have just thought it was an on-coming car in the other lane. I would ask your insurance about this as obviously they will be involved anyhow, if having no red lights puts the tractor at fault then bring out the video.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1554 posts
894 upvotes
Ottawa
some laws require x amount of red lit back lights for night time driving, as it was a white light I can see how OP may have just thought it was an on-coming car in the other lane. I would ask your insurance about this as obviously they will be involved anyhow, if having no red lights puts the tractor at fault then bring out the video.

EDIT: what Tonix said +1
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
In hindsight, I thought it was oncoming traffic too, and I probably would have used high beams for a few secs to make out what it was.
Banned
Oct 24, 2006
56 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Had to watch it a few times. Completely thought that white light was an on coming vehicle and had nothing to do with the tractor. Had to watch it second time to fully understand the it was a light on the tractor.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12670 posts
3198 upvotes
Montréal
I dunno about the fault liability here, but regardless of white or red lights, the tractor was in the driver's lane, so to the driver, he should have known that the white light was getting closer yet he didn't even try to slow down. I had a similar situation, and I slowed down and flashed my beams like crazy, luckily the idiot went back into his lane (probably some drunk retard) and I was ready for evasive action. Driver here didn't do anything, just kept motoring on until it became painfully obvious.
Dec 25, 2010
876 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver
A few things I wonder about:

a) Are there restrictions about slow moving farm vehicles on this road at night? An unlit road with an 80 km/h speed limit is not safe for slow moving vehicles at night.

b) Did the tractor have all required lights on? From the video, you were driving towards a single white light. No yellow or red lights? I thought the single white light was a street lamp until the very last minute.

c) At 6:44:43, the tractor wheel is over the yellow line. Is it an oversized vehicle? There are no warning lights / labels if so. Or was the farmer just not driving in his lane? Either way, might reduce your responsibility.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
First time seeing the video I thought it was a car in the other lane....3-4th time I replayed it I saw the tractor.....he didn't hit the tractor dead on, I waould assume the driver was OK

tractors fault from what I see!
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4343 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
wow..how do you even drive that fast with the lighting you have...i mean you can barely see 10 feet in front of you...crappy headlights or modified junk...but to be travelling that fast on a non lit road...you tasted it!...safety over coolness always..if there was a moose, deer, cow or even disable car with no lights (cause they don't have any)...you wouldn't be posting this video. lucky to be alive man...anything other than that tractor wheel.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4301 upvotes
coangr wrote: Hey all, just curious on your opinion. I'm still in progress of dealing with the outcome, so I won't release much details until it's all finalized (I'm hoping sooner rather than later). I'd like to get some unbiased opinions - and I probably don't have to ask this (lol) but don't hold back - let me know exactly what you think and if you would/could have done anything differently.

And in case anyone asks prior, I was doing the speed limit which was posted 80kmph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ5lhKD ... 1ok_FF9v5g
You were driving too fast for your skill level and weather conditions. You had plenty of time to slow down and safely avoid the tractor. But you decided against better judgement and kept on barreling down the road with reckless abandon.