• Jan 28th, 2016 1:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
177 posts
16 upvotes

dashcam: G1W-CB trusted store?

I've heard a lot of fakes for G1W-CB dashcam, where would be the recommended place to make sure of getting the real one?

Any other contender for the same price point with comparable quality?
11 replies
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
177 posts
16 upvotes
Anyone?

Also - how would G1W compare to the new (upcoming) Xiaomi Yi dash cam
Oct 29, 2008
498 posts
198 upvotes
L4J
Remembering the discussion in the past. A fake will save video as .AVI, a real G1W will save as .MOV
My own from ********
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1359 posts
993 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Don't buy a G1WCB then... The Exchange rate is not in our favor right now, you'd be better to buy a DOD or something here in Canadian dollars and you can be certain it's genuine.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
177 posts
16 upvotes
Altera wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 6:40 pm
Don't buy a G1WCB then... The Exchange rate is not in our favor right now, you'd be better to buy a DOD or something here in Canadian dollars and you can be certain it's genuine.
How is that even comparable, when even with the exchange rate, G1WCB is below 100 whereas DOD are around $200 range
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12090 posts
1571 upvotes
Kanata
Ordered the G1W-CB from ******** 3 days ago, just shipped out. The spec's all appear to indicate genuine, I won't know until it arrives.
SpyTec on amazon sells genuine G1W-CB with the NTK chipset.
BlueSeaSky are also genuine.
BlackBoxMyCar sells genuine as well.
Jan 13, 2004
586 posts
42 upvotes
Scarborough
I got a G1WCB from ********. After the exchange rate, I paid $55CAD. Took 7 weeks to receive it. It was shipped from netherland. I believe it is genuine since the video files are mov. I put in a Adata 32GB from NCIX. I have installed and used for 3 weeks now. No issues. Even the system date/time is working (didn't reset after power off).

I also had a chance to try the DOD LS-360W. The LS-360W is no doubt that it records better video especially at night. However, the LS360W is three times the price of the G1WCB.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12090 posts
1571 upvotes
Kanata
k2200 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 9:25 pm
I got a G1WCB from ********. After the exchange rate, I paid $55CAD. Took 7 weeks to receive it. It was shipped from netherland. I believe it is genuine since the video files are mov. I put in a Adata 32GB from NCIX. I have installed and used for 3 weeks now. No issues. Even the system date/time is working (didn't reset after power off).

I also had a chance to try the DOD LS-360W. The LS-360W is no doubt that it records better video especially at night. However, the LS360W is three times the price of the G1WCB.
Can you run mediainfo on the resulting video file to see what it says for Copyright or if there are any indicators of which chip might be inside? This may be a potentially easy way to verify the chip inside without opening it up.
Nov 26, 2012
720 posts
126 upvotes
Bought mine on ebay from someone called estore009 last year. I'm still using it. Arrived within a week from China.
Nov 22, 2008
282 posts
40 upvotes
It's the model I use in my car. My company's purchaser in China originally worked for a cam company and had us import a few of their brands for testing. Personally, I think their junk but you get what you pay for, really.

In my experience, the first one I had - it's speaker broke (which was sorta nice, didn't have to listen to it telling me to have a good trip). The one I have now - it's constantly turning on/off for no apparent reason. I sometimes have issues with it overriding old files and quite often it turns off with "card error". I need to unplug it and plug it back in for it to continue.

It definitely has decent day coverage, but not so much at night. It was the camera I was using in my accident. FYI - it didn't capture the accident with it's g-force whatever feature. It's supposed to capture and transfer the video to a new folder on the SD card so it's not looped over, but when I checked it later, it was in the regular folder.

I also have issues with it keeping date/time stamps. Keeps resetting.