• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2018 10:07 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 27, 2018
13 posts

data only plans

I was looking into Koodo data only plan ( Tablet 3GB per month for 15$) and I wish to use Fongo on top of that for voice communication.

Does Koodo also provide a cell number with these SIMs ? because without the cell number fongo will not work and even whatsapp will not work.
9 replies
Apr 13, 2005
371 posts
179 upvotes
You do get a number, you don't need that number.

FONGO works without the Koodo cell number, and WhatsApp works perfectly with the number FONGO assigns.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1181 posts
758 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AbdurR62175 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:14 am
Does Koodo also provide a cell number with these SIMs ? because without the cell number fongo will not work and even whatsapp will not work.
I don't know the answer to your question, but this statement is incorrect.

Fongo and Whatsapp will work even with just wifi and no SIM at all (what will get more confusing for you is that Whatsapp needs a phone number to connect an account but then you can remove the SIM and keep using it with another SIM or only WIFI)
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15053 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
I know that the Fido data-only plans do come with phone numbers. I assume the Koodo ones would too. They can usually receive texts for free, if I'm not mistaken. But if you ever send an outgoing text or receive/make a call, the cost is insane.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Aug 19, 2018
206 posts
157 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 12:22 pm
I know that the Fido data-only plans do come with phone numbers. I assume the Koodo ones would too. They can usually receive texts for free, if I'm not mistaken. But if you ever send an outgoing text or receive/make a call, the cost is insane.
That is correct. Fido data only plans DO accept text. Most services that send texting works with that folder.
Aug 2, 2017
2 posts
AbdurR62175 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:14 am
I was looking into Koodo data only plan ( Tablet 3GB per month for 15$) and I wish to use Fongo on top of that for voice communication.

Dear All,
Is it just a typo and FIDO 3Gb for 15$ was meant?
Does Koodoo have the same 3Gb for 15$ plan? I cannot find it on Koodoo's website.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2018
13 posts
I just got a 15 dollar 3gb plan from Koodo and yes I can confirm that they do provide a valid cell number with the plan too so you can activate whatsapp after receiving the SMS. Also you can port that number to Fongo on a one time 25 dollar fee and make calls from fongo app.

A requirement to get this plan is to be an existing member of Koodo, so I have a regular Koodo plan of 45 dollars and my spouse has this 15 dollar plan under my name and our total mobile bill is thus 60.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29106 posts
4229 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
AbdurR62175 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:36 am
Also you can port that number to Fongo on a one time 25 dollar fee and make calls from fongo app.
All plans have a number. From every carrier. The number has to be tied to the SIM otherwise, how will they find you on the network?

You can’t port the number from a data plan. It will effectively cancel your data plan.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2018
13 posts
I am the OP, this was my actual question. Since no one gave me a satisfactory answer I went ahead and made the purchase and then updated here.

Hope it will be helpful for others who are in similar boat.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29106 posts
4229 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
AbdurR62175 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:16 pm
I am the OP, this was my actual question. Since no one gave me a satisfactory answer I went ahead and made the purchase and then updated here.
I could have answered it for you. Anything with an active SIM has to have a phone number.