Data Science/ Big Data / Analytics

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2021 12:13 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
Try University of Calgary Continuing Education. Their BI course is good.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
alanbrenton wrote: Hmmm. Is this program a good step towards this career path?

http://future.mcmaster.ca/programs/math-stats/

Why Mathematics & Statistics at McMaster?
Mathematics and Statistics at McMaster emphasizes a student-centered approach to teaching by offering a curriculum that is rich with opportunities for cooperative education, experiential learning, and undergraduate research. Students who take courses in mathematics and statistics enjoy the following aspects of our curriculum:
  • Broad-based, interdisciplinary courses
  • Courses covering numerous areas in theoretical and applied mathematics
  • Lectures by world’s recognized leaders in research and teaching
  • Program flexibility (a minor in any area can be declared with
  • math degree)
  • New specialization in Honours Actuarial & Financial Mathematics
  • Courses in applied mathematics and statistics including training in industry-recognized software
  • A dynamic undergraduate Math & Stats Society
  • Opportunities for paid undergraduate summer research with faculty members
  • Paid and volunteer teaching opportunities through the Math Help Centre and Outreach Program

These two programs at Waterloo looks really though. I wonder if I can do it myself, if I was to go back in time.

Business Administration (Laurier) and Mathematics (Waterloo) Double Degree
https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/pr ... ble-degree

Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management
https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/pr ... management
Waterloo is one tough cookie.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote: Waterloo is one tough cookie.
To get in and to maintain grades? At the Open House, we were told they only pick about 70 students for each program!
Aug 25, 2006
289 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
I work as a sr business analyst. My entire job is basically creating, modifying, and refreshing daily/weekly/monthly dashboards that track a multitude of business objectives for my company.

I have no schooling or official training in the field. I got here from entry level and slowly working my way up through the org via work connections and making friends with the right people at the right times.

I work almost exclusively with SQL (95%) but also use other BI tools like Cognos, Microstrategy, BusinessObjects, and Tableau when needed. Learn relational databases concepts, SQL syntax, and data normalizing concepts and the knowledge can be applied across multiple disciplines (accounting, reporting, forecasting, etc)

I was originally pretty good at just excel when I got started but picked up SQL on my own time as a ticket to automating and speeding up alot of stuff that is super cumbersome in an excel-only environment (literally bought a book "idiots guide to SQL" and figured it out from there).

You can literally pick it up in a month or two. Download microsoft SQL server express (free!) and install on any pc. Comes with some great mock databases built-in to practice on and develop skills. Dunno why anyone would need official schooling for this crap.
Aug 25, 2006
289 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
haskay wrote: ... coding knowledge in SAS or R.
Thanks for tip on R. Looked it up and looks neato. Gonna learn this next and make mo' money
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
alanbrenton wrote: To get in and to maintain grades? At the Open House, we were told they only pick about 70 students for each program!
Yes to both. Their math is top notch. Be prepared for several 6 am nights doing assignments with people on campus.

Also be prepared for some of the best co-ops and job offers if you stick through it.
Banned
Jul 1, 2017
239 posts
138 upvotes
haskay wrote: You don't need school as long as you learn on the job.

Plus what you're doing right now is loosely Data Science. Actual Data Science will be predictive models (Regression, Linear, logarithmic, etc) and Machine Learning (Clustering, Decision Trees, Experimental Design, etc). To set up and design these methods you do typically need stats knowledge, and coding knowledge in SAS or R.

But then again if you're leading these projects, you may have a Data Scientist on your team - you just need to explain the business logic, acumen, and understand and present the results to client/stakeholders.

I figure a Masters is helpful if you're looking for more pure Data Science jobs, but I don't think its necessary. In my interviews I've gone for in management roles its more so understanding, and leading projects than doing the pure coding. However, it is probably a major bonus if you learn it for yourself, which is what I'm doing with some time on my hands.
The point is that:
Data Sceince =/ Data Analytics =/ Big Data

They are all different and require different skills; that being said, the only one where 'arguably' an advanced degree is required would be in Data Sceinces; Data Analytics and Big Data exposure is learned in the job in any of the following fields:
- Business Analyst role
- Reporting Environment
- Logistics Environment
- Supply Chain Environment
- Finance/Accounting Environment
- Marketing Environment
- Project Management

Data Science education include Msc/PhD in statistics, mathematics, and/or physics because you're not doing any of the above - you're literally theorising quantitative data.

Let this die.
Dec 21, 2009
567 posts
534 upvotes
Oakville
HelloWorld3 wrote: The point is that:
Data Sceince =/ Data Analytics =/ Big Data

They are all different and require different skills; that being said, the only one where 'arguably' an advanced degree is required would be in Data Sceinces; Data Analytics and Big Data exposure is learned in the job in any of the following fields:
- Business Analyst role
- Reporting Environment
- Logistics Environment
- Supply Chain Environment
- Finance/Accounting Environment
- Marketing Environment
- Project Management

Data Science education include Msc/PhD in statistics, mathematics, and/or physics because you're not doing any of the above - you're literally theorising quantitative data.

Let this die.
YAAA!

And if you're after money whats the play?

I'm thinking Data Analytics & Strategy with a Sales/Client Facing and Management focus, especially if you can get your own clients.
Banned
Jul 1, 2017
239 posts
138 upvotes
haskay wrote: YAAA!

And if you're after money whats the play?

I'm thinking Data Analytics & Strategy with a Sales/Client Facing and Management focus, especially if you can get your own clients.
What do you want to be doing? Play with data and make a lot of money?

Look at the job descriptions in the roles I noted above; you're diving into data and continually refining your skills in these areas.

Keep in mind - you don't make money being a doer; at some point, you need to shift gears into an enabler. I haven't touched SQL in my role as part of the senior leadership team ; instead, I've purchased canned BI packages for my team and organisation to do what I would previously build from scratch. I find that I spend more of my time in a decision making capacity, using models to guide my actions. I use BI to support my actions; distribute reports to other leaders/divisions/teams to improve transparency against the 'why' and hold other leaders accountable for their areas.

I draw on Data Analytics from an interpretation standpoint still (doubt this will ever change); but my development days are done and my wage is significantly higher than where I was in a 'doer' capacity.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2010
1087 posts
195 upvotes
HelloWorld3 wrote: I've noticed some people are very loyal to the idea that certain roles are unique to math/stat backgrounds.

My interpretation of this - what else do people with these types of backgrounds do that can pay decent money? It's the internet's math/stats people trying to reinforce their unique importance in the world.

Reality is - most programs do all of this. You just need to be a master of programs and actually like big data. Again, I've never once had to use anything I've learned in math/stats to turnover work. It all comes down to experience.
And this logic can pretty much be used for just about any professional field. How often do electrical engineers break out pencil and papers and analytically solve Maxwell's equations for continuous media in their daily work? How often do mechanical engineers refer back to Navier-Stokes when sizing a pump? What about CS grads and the frequency they refer back to their notes in discrete math with their daily work? We've all heard the faulty argument that these jobs can be done by a highly motivated HS grad with great initiative and self-learning. And yet, corporations still enforce these same hiring standards for these positions even though it would save them millions paying an HS grad peanuts in comparison to the university grad. If this was actually viable, the MBAs would have been doing this decades ago.
Dec 21, 2009
567 posts
534 upvotes
Oakville
HelloWorld3 wrote: What do you want to be doing? Play with data and make a lot of money?

Look at the job descriptions in the roles I noted above; you're diving into data and continually refining your skills in these areas.

Keep in mind - you don't make money being a doer; at some point, you need to shift gears into an enabler. I haven't touched SQL in my role as part of the senior leadership team ; instead, I've purchased canned BI packages for my team and organisation to do what I would previously build from scratch. I find that I spend more of my time in a decision making capacity, using models to guide my actions. I use BI to support my actions; distribute reports to other leaders/divisions/teams to improve transparency against the 'why' and hold other leaders accountable for their areas.

I draw on Data Analytics from an interpretation standpoint still (doubt this will ever change); but my development days are done and my wage is significantly higher than where I was in a 'doer' capacity.
I'm at the transition into "enabler" now, roles I'm looking at are more so leadership, rfp processes, client facing visioning/strategy, but also a mixture of the actual analysis. To be honest - I'm just looking to grind out a couple of positions higher and then find a more relaxed environment.
Banned
Jul 1, 2017
239 posts
138 upvotes
haskay wrote: I'm at the transition into "enabler" now, roles I'm looking at are more so leadership, rfp processes, client facing visioning/strategy, but also a mixture of the actual analysis. To be honest - I'm just looking to grind out a couple of positions higher and then find a more relaxed environment.
Good luck with a relaxed environment.

The skills you build will change the way you approach decision making. Most people don't understand BI or the value of it. If you have a BI background, even outside of a doer capacity, your plate fills up pretty damn quick with expectations. I can't tell you how long my to-do list is; but it's never ending. I am always finding 'garbage processes' or complete shit reporting (or lack of it) that forces me to draw on what I know qualifies as 'good' to later incorporate.

The environment may seem relaxed - but you're banging your head off the walls with how bad things can be because you know how good things should/can be.

This is both a strength and weakness for anyone that has a BI background in a decision making capacity. Your expectations become too high; you hold others to standards beyond their skill-sets, etc. Now, your job is to develop team structures outside of your direct report capacity; find ways to win credibility, etc.

My point? You'll never realize a relaxed work environment once you transition from a doer to an enabler with a BI strength.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1145 posts
879 upvotes
HelloWorld3 wrote: What do you want to be doing? Play with data and make a lot of money?

I wonder if you're exaggerating the level of insight you are gaining from low level analytics just a little.
There are very very few companies in Alberta with enough data to draw proper conclusions beyond what could be just figured out using common sense and intelligence.
O&G companies in particular don't work too much with true big data because they have such limited transactional data. Most of the interesting stuff is in E&P (well info), but data is severely lacking.

Further, from what I gather, you must be working at a relatively small company. There are so many issues at those levels that the payback from common sense controls is much higher than diving deep into the data.

Not trying to attack you, but would love to discuss this. I'm currently working as a senior level economist/researcher at a large company. Struggling to move into the "enabler" role. I guess I do manage the direction of the research and talk to senior leaders, but I'm still very much in the details. Also interested in the resources you used to develop your more technical skills. I have BAs on my team, but I feel like I need more of a background in tech to give them proper direction sometimes.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Jan 31, 2016
14 posts
8 upvotes
North York, ON
I'm currently enrolled in the York Big Data Analytics certificate program. I highly recommend to stay away from it. The program is a literal train wreck.

One of the instructors even said the first version of the program failed miserably and the first cohort were disappointed. Same sentiment with our cohort currently. We are the second cohort to complete it and the vast majority of the class is extremely disappointed.

You'll get more value out of the $20 Udemy Machine Learning course than this $3000 disaster (nearly $6000 if you take the 2nd certificate as well). I agree with others who have recommended to learn things on your own accord. There are a lot of great materials on Lynda, Udemy, and other online learning platforms.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1275 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
Heard good things about this program:

https://www.udacity.com/course/data-ana ... ree--nd002

Reviews are also pretty decent online. What do you guys think? Like compared to spending thousands doing certificates or Masters in analytics from major universities, I thought maybe this could be a good start.
Aug 6, 2011
28 posts
Toronto
Inepsy wrote: I'm currently enrolled in the York Big Data Analytics certificate program. I highly recommend to stay away from it. The program is a literal train wreck.

One of the instructors even said the first version of the program failed miserably and the first cohort were disappointed. Same sentiment with our cohort currently. We are the second cohort to complete it and the vast majority of the class is extremely disappointed.

You'll get more value out of the $20 Udemy Machine Learning course than this $3000 disaster (nearly $6000 if you take the 2nd certificate as well). I agree with others who have recommended to learn things on your own accord. There are a lot of great materials on Lynda, Udemy, and other online learning platforms.
Thank you for your insight on this program. Was wondering whether or not I should enroll but was hesitant due to how new the program itself is.
Banned
Jul 1, 2017
239 posts
138 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: I wonder if you're exaggerating the level of insight you are gaining from low level analytics just a little.
There are very very few companies in Alberta with enough data to draw proper conclusions beyond what could be just figured out using common sense and intelligence.
O&G companies in particular don't work too much with true big data because they have such limited transactional data. Most of the interesting stuff is in E&P (well info), but data is severely lacking.

Further, from what I gather, you must be working at a relatively small company. There are so many issues at those levels that the payback from common sense controls is much higher than diving deep into the data.

Not trying to attack you, but would love to discuss this. I'm currently working as a senior level economist/researcher at a large company. Struggling to move into the "enabler" role. I guess I do manage the direction of the research and talk to senior leaders, but I'm still very much in the details. Also interested in the resources you used to develop your more technical skills. I have BAs on my team, but I feel like I need more of a background in tech to give them proper direction sometimes.
I disagree with O&G companies not being Big Data hubs.

Let's call out Suncor:
https://sustainability.suncor.com/2017/ ... 016_EN.pdf
- Over 25,000 employees and/or contractors working across Canada
- Over 10,000 projects throughout the year (variety of scope)
- Over 1,000 contractors working at any given time of day
- ~26.9B revenues on ~26.8B expenses

Using this small scope; from a COO perspective, there are a lot of moving parts that require efficiency and real-time change-management to handle 26B expenses. In contrast, look at all the organizations that have gone bankrupt dealing with CNRL? Yes, common sense and general intelligence will prevent you from going bankrupt, but business intelligence is how you reduce operating costs to improve your bottom line; good BI will not only reduce your operating costs, but find ways to improve revenue through practical innovation.

This is one organization within Canada, out of the many thousands that have data to work with. The amount of Data available won't make you an expert in BI; building tools and working with Data in general will.
May 23, 2018
1 posts
Hi Inepsy, I'm actually signed up to take that course, and would appreciate hearing more about your impression of the program. If you could reach out to me at boldresponse at gmail dot com, I would really appreciate it.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1152 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
Jokkon wrote: Data science is probably too new to go to school for.

I would take online courses such as Coursera and use publicly available data to build up your own portfolio.
i agree. it's not established yet.