Students

Database Application Developer (Seneca) - Is This Program Any Good?

11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1967 posts
820 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have no knowledge about the program but i am currently learning about information systems and data.

Companies these days are very reliant on data to help provide competitive advantages and having a database that effectively and efficiently stores and secures their valuable data is critical.

I can only see the need for database development increasing especially as cloud based storage becomes more common for organizations.

What exactly this program offers I cannot say, but it will certainly be in demand if this program gi es you the right skills.

Good lucj in your choice.
:D
Nov 27, 2018
24 posts
10 upvotes
In my opinion, this program doesn't look very good. I don't look at different colleges programs so I don't really have any recommendation for it. This could be the best database program available in the area, but the program itself looks mediocre. It looks like they'll spend the first semester teaching you database design, a whole course on database language (SQL) and basic programming with Java. Then second semester they will dedicate two entire courses on how to connect to a database using two different programming languages; both of which aren't very popular among new companies and a lot of big existing companies (anymore; they still use it but they don't for new projects). They also have another course just for database security; which you can self learn and will vary greatly on the specific product and certain things might even be out of your domain if you plan becoming a database administrator. The program would be a lot better if they taught you the new types of databases (e.g. NoSQL), taught you newer popular programming languages, and based on some assumptions they can likely consolidate a lot of these courses. The only good thing I see is that it appears they'll place you in a workplace to get experience.

In regards to DB admin demand, they will likely always be around, but I don't know if the number will grow in the future. Everyday more and more companies are paying for cloud database services for their applications instead of running their own, meaning unless you work for the cloud company who likely won't hire someone with a 1 year college diploma, there could be less opportunities for you in the future. What actually ends up happening nobody knows but it's something to keep in mind.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2015
52 posts
9 upvotes
East York, ON
blackbeannoodles wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 5:53 pm
In my opinion, this program doesn't look very good. I don't look at different colleges programs so I don't really have any recommendation for it. This could be the best database program available in the area, but the program itself looks mediocre. It looks like they'll spend the first semester teaching you database design, a whole course on database language (SQL) and basic programming with Java. Then second semester they will dedicate two entire courses on how to connect to a database using two different programming languages; both of which aren't very popular among new companies and a lot of big existing companies (anymore; they still use it but they don't for new projects). They also have another course just for database security; which you can self learn and will vary greatly on the specific product and certain things might even be out of your domain if you plan becoming a database administrator. The program would be a lot better if they taught you the new types of databases (e.g. NoSQL), taught you newer popular programming languages, and based on some assumptions they can likely consolidate a lot of these courses. The only good thing I see is that it appears they'll place you in a workplace to get experience.

In regards to DB admin demand, they will likely always be around, but I don't know if the number will grow in the future. Everyday more and more companies are paying for cloud database services for their applications instead of running their own, meaning unless you work for the cloud company who likely won't hire someone with a 1 year college diploma, there could be less opportunities for you in the future. What actually ends up happening nobody knows but it's something to keep in mind.
Thanks a lot.

This certificate would've cost me about $9,000. I think I can learn all these from Udemy for about $500.

Looks like I should skip this.
Nov 27, 2018
24 posts
10 upvotes
anonguy123 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:12 am
Thanks a lot.

This certificate would've cost me about $9,000. I think I can learn all these from Udemy for about $500.

Looks like I should skip this.
You can get 3 months of Pluralsight and Linkedin Learning (fomrelry lynda.com) from https://my.visualstudio.com/Benefits. They are both subscription services that give you unlimited access to a large library of IT, programming, etc. courses. Very high quality courses, Udemy isn't strict on who they let make courses, so not everything there is great. If you want to specialize in Microsoft databases Microsoft has a lot of free video courses: https://mva.microsoft.com/training-topi ... &lang=1033. This course is free: https://www.udacity.com/course/database ... ign--ud150. I've done other courses from this site, they are usually pretty good. There's options for getting certificate for completing the course.I never did this course in particular. Try it out, it's free.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2015
52 posts
9 upvotes
East York, ON
blackbeannoodles wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 8:29 pm
You can get 3 months of Pluralsight and Linkedin Learning (fomrelry lynda.com) from https://my.visualstudio.com/Benefits. They are both subscription services that give you unlimited access to a large library of IT, programming, etc. courses. Very high quality courses, Udemy isn't strict on who they let make courses, so not everything there is great. If you want to specialize in Microsoft databases Microsoft has a lot of free video courses: https://mva.microsoft.com/training-topi ... &lang=1033. This course is free: https://www.udacity.com/course/database ... ign--ud150. I've done other courses from this site, they are usually pretty good. There's options for getting certificate for completing the course.I never did this course in particular. Try it out, it's free.
These are some great resources. Thanks for sharing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6411 posts
1171 upvotes
anonguy123 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 10:33 pm
http://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fulltime/DAD.html

Is this program something worth going for? How's the demand for database development?
There's not enough information in that link, do you have the detailed curriculum ?
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6411 posts
1171 upvotes
blackbeannoodles wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 12:31 am
The links on their site are misleading they look like breadcrumbs you can click the courses tab and then click the individual courses. http://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fu ... urses.html
Thanks.

I like the courses (Oracle/PL/SQL is a must have IMO) however as others have mentioned this stuff is readily available and for much less money. I do still think this would be a good option if OP was a complete beginner - someone with zero programming/db experience or knowledge.

I also prefer Oracle db training to anything from MS except for maybe SQL Server.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
[OP]
Feb 11, 2015
52 posts
9 upvotes
East York, ON
blexann wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 12:46 am
Thanks.

I like the courses (Oracle/PL/SQL is a must have IMO) however as others have mentioned this stuff is readily available and for much less money. I do still think this would be a good option if OP was a complete beginner - someone with zero programming/db experience or knowledge.

I also prefer Oracle db training to anything from MS except for maybe SQL Server.
You are correct. This program would be good for someone who has zero background in database. The courses are very basic for folks with prior programming/database knowledge.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1189 posts
152 upvotes
Markham, ON
I think any programming role training begins in childhood. You place a child in front of a computer from the 1980 and tell them to use dos language to get to their favourite game.

Did computers in the 1980 had a mouse?
May 19, 2015
643 posts
222 upvotes
Also check your public library - toronto's gives access to Lynda for free
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)