Feb 6, 2006
6014 posts
9 upvotes

David Suzuki wants climate change deniers tossed in jail

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... aebeb155dd
David Suzuki deals a devastating blow to his climate-change cause

John Martin, Special to The Province
Published: Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Regardless of what the actual state of climate change may or may not be, Canadians who are adamant that we are nearing the point of no return have a problem on their hands. It would appear their highest-profile spokespeople have serious credibility issues.

Federal Liberal Leader Stephane Dion never misses an opportunity to demand urgent attention to global warming. However, it has been well-documented that greenhouse-gas emissions increased under the previous Liberal government, including during the time Dion was environment minister.

It has also been revealed his party never had any intentions of meeting the Kyoto Protocol it so unabashedly championed.

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May was expected to become a major player on the federal political scene as climate change dominated the public agenda. But her insistence that those who don't agree with her are reminiscent of Nazi appeasers makes her look desperate and irrelevant.

And now B.C.'s very own David Suzuki, a Companion of the Order of Canada, wants to throw politicians who question his climate-change thesis in prison.

The celebrity scientist dropped the bombshell while addressing an audience at McGill University. He urged students to seek ways to incarcerate elected officials who are "committing a criminal act by ignoring science."

This was no slip of the tongue. According to the National Post, he said very much the same thing during a speech at the University of Toronto last month.

Both ludicrous and dangerous, it's this type of talk that causes many to wonder just how legitimate the science in this area actually is.

To even joke -- and there's nothing to suggest Suzuki was trying to be funny -- about jailing dissenters is an outrage. The pursuit of scientific inquiry has always welcomed informed skepticism. Otherwise, there is no science, only blind faith.

It's very difficult to attribute even a modicum of credibility to someone who would put forth such a frightening notion. Throughout history, the most oppressive and brutal regimes have locked up those who dared voice dissenting views. Thousands of Canadians have given their lives fighting the very type of society Suzuki appears to desire. He has clearly forfeited his leadership on the climate-change file.

Yet, as disturbing as his words are, there is something even more troubling. It was reported the audience of 600 students cheered wildly at the suggestion to throw non-believers in the green gulag.

In fairness, Suzuki may simply be exhausted. Or perhaps frustration with what he perceives as inaction is clouding his judgment.

But when an auditorium full of university students vigorously applauds a reckless and brutal ideal that is at the core of totalitarianism, we may soon face a problem much more serious than a couple of degrees Celsius in one direction or the other.

Contact criminologist John Martin of the University College of the Fraser Valley at John.Martin@ucfv.ca.
"When the common good of a society is regarded as something apart from and superior to the individual good of its members, it means that the good of some men takes precedence over the good of others, with those others consigned to the status of sacrificial animals." -- Ayn Rand

Every facet, every deposit of your mind is to be programmed by you; and unless you assume your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you.
Share:
11 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14118 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
I respect Suzuki for what he is trying to do, but he has to know that jailing climate change deniers ain't gonna happen. Jailing folks for what they believe in isn't something that happens around these here parts, best I can tell.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Where's the problem here?
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2683 posts
70 upvotes
oh i see

it's called climate change now.

why the name change? clearly there is a "consensus" that the earth is getting warmer.
I post, you decide.
Jun 12, 2008
983 posts
161 upvotes
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2006
2211 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, Ontario
i used to respect suzuki, he taught ppl about nature and the way to preserve it. Now he is making a mockery of himself. And this of all things coming from a scientist:
[br]
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... otrial.jpg --->
https://historicalder.wikispaces.com/fi ... heresy.jpg
MasterXan wrote:
Aug 13th, 2009 7:45 pm
oh i see

it's called climate change now.

why the name change? clearly there is a "consensus" that the earth is getting warmer.
wtf?
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14118 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
CCCC3333 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2009 8:02 pm
I got that already. ;)

And I like to think that other folks saw that as well.

The post, for me, still stands: Suzuki's passionate about the environment and I don't think his stance, or at least the deep seeded feelings on this issue, have changed. Timing aside, it's the idea of jailing those who deny climate change that we're posting/responding to.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2006
2211 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, Ontario
CCCC3333 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2009 8:02 pm
SO?????

doesn't make it any less relevant. i along many others didn't hear about this.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2065 posts
53 upvotes
Medicine Hat
perplexed_one wrote:
Aug 13th, 2009 8:11 pm
SO?????

doesn't make it any less relevant. i along many others didn't hear about this.
NEWSFLASH: GERMANY INVADES POLAND

WHAT!!!
just cause its old doesn't make it less relevant
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2006
2211 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, Ontario
randomdef wrote:
Aug 13th, 2009 8:16 pm
NEWSFLASH: GERMANY INVADES POLAND

WHAT!!!
just cause its old doesn't make it less relevant
go right ahead and make a thread about that, but it's a well known, 60 year old fact.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1863 posts
2 upvotes
They should do that for the creationist and members of the Flat Earth society.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2004
1973 posts
12 upvotes
Does anyone have the exact quote?

From the little googling I've done in the last 2 minutes, it seems like he suggested throwing politicians in jail for ignoring climate change. There is a big difference between ignoring and denying.