• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2012 9:19 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 2, 2007
920 posts
36 upvotes

Dayhomes, is it worth it?

I have a friend who pays $1000/month/child for dayhome.
She says it typically would work out to be 10hrs (7am dropoff, 5pm pick up) a day for each child and each child will be at her place 5 days a week. So that's 50hrs/week, so roughly 200hrs/month. That works out to be $5/hr/child. And according to Alberta laws, the ratio of childcare:children is 1:6 for childs above 2 years of age (I could be wrong on this). So a dayhome ran by an individual will make a max of $30/hr. Is this right? Is it even worth it to do this? Could a parent afford more than $1000/child/month to make it worthwhile for the childcare person?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
3693 posts
2538 upvotes
$5 is good!, my MIL is looking after a 2 yrs kid for $3 an hr, lol
May 14, 2010
512 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
I think there are other benefits to the dayhome provider. Being able to stay home and raise her own children while making money is a huge plus.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2007
920 posts
36 upvotes
dor79 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2012 10:03 pm
I think there are other benefits to the dayhome provider. Being able to stay home and raise her own children while making money is a huge plus.
Well I guess if you look at it that way it is worth it. But how about someone who's looking to do this but have no children of their own? Not a great way to make a living...
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
614 posts
27 upvotes
TORONTO
I think that is much although it depends upon your capability. Rather i would prefer for a nanny with just one kid. And i think it will save a lot.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
75557 posts
1537 upvotes
Medicine Hat, AB
We tried it for almost a year (10 years ago) and it wasnt for us. Your house isnt yours anymore, parents that show up late constantly so your days ends up being a 14 hour day. Spend time with your kids, good luck, if you have a ton of babies on the bottle, you will barely have time to say hi to your kids. Your stuck at home all day basically, have to worry about special insurance for your vehcile, if you can even take it anywhere.

Some people make it work, just wasnt for us
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/thin ... on-166920/
TOTAL WINNINGS TO DATE = $99,719.87
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
595 posts
23 upvotes
TORONTO
I do think it's worth it. My nephew is also in a day care. And it is $35 a day and there are way too many children to be cared for properly.
May 14, 2010
512 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
lazymonkeygod wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 6:08 pm
Well I guess if you look at it that way it is worth it. But how about someone who's looking to do this but have no children of their own? Not a great way to make a living...
It depends if you dont follow the rules it can be worth it. A lot of these places dont declare their income and have more than the proper amount of kids allowed.
× < >