Entertainment

DC legend: Black Lightning, Picked Up To Series By The CW, will have a 2nd season

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2018 10:33 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

DC legend: Black Lightning, Picked Up To Series By The CW, will have a 2nd season

‘Black Lightning’ TV Show From Greg Berlanti Lands Pilot Production Commitment at Fox
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/black-l ... 201855055/

Fox is working on another superhero show — this time, a “Black Lightning” series, based on the DC Comics character.

Superhero series gurus Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter are executive producers on the project that landed a pilot production commitment at Fox. Husband-and-wife duo Salim and Mara Brock Akil are writing the television adaptation of the comic.

In the potential series, Jefferson Pierce has made his choice. He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend: Black Lightning. The show is based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden.

Berlanti Productions, Akil Productions and Warner Bros. Television are producing the hourlong drama. The Akil duo, who is behind BET’s “The Game” and “Being Mary Jane,” are also exec producing, in addition to writing.

For Berlanti and Schechter, “Black Lightning” is one of many projects in the superhero genre under their belt. They are currently behind the CW’s “The Flash,” “Arrow,” “Supergirl” and “DC’s Legends of Tomorow.”

For Fox, the project is the second superhero series to go into development this cycle. The network gave a put pilot commitment to a “X-Men” series, hailing from Matt Nix. Fox is also home to “Gotham” and “Lucifer,” both of which hail from DC Comics.
Update: CW picks up Greg Berlanti's Black Lightning pilot
Last edited by tk1000 on Sep 9th, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
At this point I think I've reached saturation with how many superhero shows I can keep up with. I generally watch all the ones that are part of CW's DC Universe. I watch Agents of Shield, and I watch the Netflix Marvel shows.

It already seems like a lot. I'm not sure I'm up for adding more to the list.. probably not... I think I've officially hit saturation point.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Like others, I'm following enough shows as it is... I'm hitting saturation point. I'm not sure I'd follow a 5th... I barely follow all of the existing ones. It'd e some much easier to only watch a few if they weren't a shared universe.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
A lengthy new synopsis offering up a few more details about what to expect from this show.

Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a New Orleans neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort. Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line, and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his Super Hero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad. Choosing to help his city without using his superpowers, he watched his daughters Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Anne McClain) grow into strong young women, even though his marriage to their mother, Lynn (Christine Adams), suffered. Almost a decade later, Pierce’s crime-fighting days are long behind him…or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, and those he cares about in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns — to save not only his family, but also the soul of his community.

zod wrote: Like others, I'm following enough shows as it is... I'm hitting saturation point. I'm not sure I'd follow a 5th... I barely follow all of the existing ones. It'd e some much easier to only watch a few if they weren't a shared universe.
The CW network chief Mark Pedowitz revealed that Black Lightning is not part of the Arrowverse.

"We do not aim to do a five-way crossover," he confirmed. "Black Lightning, at this time, is not part of the Arrowverse. It is a separate situation. But there will be a big fourth quarter crossover with all four of the shows that are on in the fall."

from https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/ar ... er-a151216
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
tk1000 wrote: A lengthy new synopsis offering up a few more details about what to expect from this show.

Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a New Orleans neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort. Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line, and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his Super Hero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad. Choosing to help his city without using his superpowers, he watched his daughters Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Anne McClain) grow into strong young women, even though his marriage to their mother, Lynn (Christine Adams), suffered. Almost a decade later, Pierce’s crime-fighting days are long behind him…or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, and those he cares about in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns — to save not only his family, but also the soul of his community.

The CW network chief Mark Pedowitz revealed that Black Lightning is not part of the Arrowverse.

"We do not aim to do a five-way crossover," he confirmed. "Black Lightning, at this time, is not part of the Arrowverse. It is a separate situation. But there will be a big fourth quarter crossover with all four of the shows that are on in the fall."

from https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/ar ... er-a151216
That's good, makes it easier not to watch it then :)
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17436 posts
12787 upvotes
Toronto
I might be mistaken but it doesn't look like the promo from May was posted

New CW heroes promo

Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
Dammmmmn. This is my new favourite show. Just caught the first episode on Netflix and loved it.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
Downloaded and watched all 3 episodes that have been released so far. No need for Netflix or Crave.

Soso. Rather watch Hawaii Five O, S.W.A.T., Lucifer, Lethal Weapon, Gotham, Daredevil.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Just started watching it a few days ago. Pretty good show.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
The only thing I don't like are the goggles of the costumes. They don't cover up anything, it's SHOCKING how no one recognizes that their Principal is Black Lightning.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
sharpshooter88 wrote: The only thing I don't like are the goggles of the costumes. They don't cover up anything, it's SHOCKING how no one recognizes that their Principal is Black Lightning.
It's like Superman and the glasses.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Black Lightning returns to The CW Tuesday, October 9th.

‘Black Lightning’ Season 2 Review: Family, Truth, and Consequences
http://collider.com/black-lightning-season-2-review/

Black Lightning - Comic-Con 2018 Trailer
#GetLit for Season 2! The BLACK LIGHTNING cast and executive producers electrified this year’s Comic-Con with a packed panel presentation and an exclusive trailer looking back at some of the best moments from the show's first season. #DCTV #SDCC2018

Black Lightning | Guess Who’s Back Extended Trailer | The CW

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)