• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 9:31 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 22, 2014
493 posts
108 upvotes
Regina, SK
If WB had the same level of faith in this as they did Wonder Woman we would already be reading critics' spoiler free social media reactions. Every day that goes by gets a little more concerning about its fate with critics. I don't put a 100% of my trust in critics, but if a significant number of critics pan a movie it tends to be a fairly accurate indicator. With DCEU movies all being underwhelming for me personally I am going to wait until I read a few reviews from the critics I follow who have tastes similar to my own. I am just not willing to go in blindly due to being a fan who really wants to see these characters on screen.

I am also concerned about the roughly 2 hour run time. Are we going to end up with another Ultimate Cut that ends being considered the more definitive version of the movie. That being said, BvS should have been trimmed down and had a more direct story focusing on Batman and Superman, instead of meandering and universe building. Maybe the 2 hour runtime is a blessing, but Justice League has more heroes and this movie should be used to build its universe because WB felt they needed to rush to the big team up movie before giving everyone an opportunity to shine in smaller features.

It is hard to be patient as fan dreaming about this movie when it has all this baggage attached.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1262 posts
187 upvotes
There's absolutely no reason for them to keep the embargo if the movie was good. If response was positive, they would love the free positive press that they would get to juice up the opening weekend haul. There's a very good chance this is BvS level bad.

Also, Affleck has been very dodgy in recent interviews about whether he's returning to the role after this movie. I think he knows this movie will bomb and he's ready to leave this POS franchise that Snyder has created.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10552 posts
575 upvotes
Scarborough
Sounds like social media reactions might be up tomorrow (rumor on reddit from a verified poster).

I don't know why people are assuming JL will be bad. This has two directors with two very different skillsets that blend well. It is also a simpler film. It really just needs connective tissue for dialogue (Whedon) and great action (Snyder) to be excellent. I think the only question is how well this movie does. Will it just be BvS levels or actually reach the Avengers level (1.5 billion)? Neither is a failure but it would be disappointing to see JL perform less than the Avengers.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1186 posts
273 upvotes
Personally, I don't expect it to beat "The Avengers". However, I'm gonna be very disappointed if it doesn't beat its own DC predecessor "Wonder Woman". I'm a die-hard WW fan and even I can admit it was extremely overrated and got the best reviews out of the gates (and even before). Too bad Snyder is jinxed and the outcome will be the same (although I really hope I'm wrong).

2017, I give a tie for first place with superhero movies "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" and "Spiderman: Homecoming" both beating "Thor: Ragnarok" for a very distant second place. ;)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17672 posts
1306 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:00 pm
Personally, I don't expect it to beat "The Avengers". However, I'm gonna be very disappointed if it doesn't beat its own DC predecessor "Wonder Woman". I'm a die-hard WW fan and even I can admit it was extremely overrated and got the best reviews out of the gates (and even before). Too bad Snyder is jinxed and the outcome will be the same (although I really hope I'm wrong).

2017, I give a tie for first place with superhero movies "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" and "Spiderman: Homecoming" both beating "Thor: Ragnarok" for a very distant second place. ;)
Not a fan of Logan?
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1186 posts
273 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:28 am
Not a fan of Logan?
Will have to rewatch it because I only saw it once at the IMAX theatre. My expectations were way too high because I kept hearing it was Marvel's answer to "The Dark Knight". So naturally, I was expecting it to be on par with TDK. Although it was good, but in my opinion not really on par with TDK. Just my thoughts.
Dec 22, 2014
493 posts
108 upvotes
Regina, SK
I have been reading through some of these and it isn't really hyping me up for the movie as much as it is hyping me up for the release of full reviews.

One common thread seems to indicate narrative issues and feeling rushed. The 2 hour runtime is obviously part of the issue here. The other common factor though is many people are saying the plot is more coherent than BvS. It looks like they listened to some of the biggest criticisms on a technical level for BvS.

It seems like reactions are divided on Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman. I have seen reactions that describe any of these characters as a great addition or the weakest link.

"There is a villain problem (no worse than Marvel's)" - Aaron Sagers didn't need to go outside the DCEU for comparison sake. All the DCEU villains have been pretty lackluster. Sure the members of the Suicide Squad have their charm, but they were not really the villains of that movie. Not saying that Marvel hasn't had some villain problems.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1262 posts
187 upvotes
Oh boy. This movie is going to be marginally better than BvS? My guess is 43% on Rottentomatoes.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10552 posts
575 upvotes
Scarborough
The real test will be from movie critics. Most of the people commented are critics but work for major gaming or comic book related websites. They all enjoyed the film with only a few exceptions.

One worry is the RT score. Most were not RT critics.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1446 posts
432 upvotes
It's a Snyder film. Expect under 50%. But at least you're going in with the Cineplex cherios tickets, that you may or may not choose to upgrade depending on RT score.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10552 posts
575 upvotes
Scarborough
badOne wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:06 pm
It's a Snyder film. Expect under 50%. But at least you're going in with the Cineplex cherios tickets, that you may or may not choose to upgrade depending on RT score.
Snyder has positive RT scores in his library.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26151 posts
6049 upvotes
GTHA
Got this bonus SCENE points promotion in my email...
Screenshot.png

Anyone been to the Eglinton Town Centre IMAX?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1186 posts
273 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 6:11 pm
Got this bonus SCENE points promotion in my email...

Screenshot.png

Anyone been to the Eglinton Town Centre IMAX?
The Eglinton Town Centre IMAX is brand new and opened at the beginning of the month when "Thor:Ragnarok" was released. I'm seeing "Justice League" on Thursday's opening night there, but I expect it to be a "LIE-MAX" theatre and not a true IMAX cinema in the traditional sense.

BTW, I'm very pissed Cineplex only sends me the "targeted emails" to crappy movies. They don't ever send me big blockbuster movie emails and offer be bonus SCENE points like what you got because they've been tracking me and other customers and know that we are coming anyway. Not fair, I want my friggin 500 bonus SCENE points too for watching "Justice League".