Tags:
None
Dec 22, 2014
509 posts
112 upvotes
Regina, SK
thechampion116 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 1:41 am
Not saying any of those are legit but you definitely need more time for those numbers to sink in and be more the final number. Lots of people can forge or make up a review for something. There is no quality control in that metric. I also think the most important thing is the final opening weekend number was $94 million. There is no one here who would have thought that number was even possible. It was beat by all the superhero movies (except for Logan) and even then, a rated R Logan was only lower by 6 million. This movie clearly struggled and if word of mouth was positive, it would have done better. Positive word of mouth in addition to positive reviews helped Wonder Woman climb from a 60 million box office estimate (about 3-4 weeks prior to release) to closer to what it it made (103 million). Justice League has only declined since the initial reporting of 135 million, then to 120, then to 110, and finally 94.

I guess we will see this week how it does with Thanksgiving but I honestly don't have high hopes.
There are some fan reviewers out there who also feel like they have to rate movies they like a little higher because they are compensating for bad reviews that they disagree with. All these reviews and numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I am not sure how much Thanksgiving can help it. Animation has been solid in this opening slot, so even though the demographic targets are different it does look like Coco will win the weekend. I also tried to see if there is anything remotely comparable for a tentpole movie holding over after releasing the weekend before Thanksgiving. The Hunger Games sequel in 2015 had a 49.3% drop for the second weekend, which fell on Thanksgiving. The metrics in terms of critical review and audience response were arguably better for Hunger Games. It also lost the weekend to the Good Dinosaur. Justice League has the huge task of surviving the typical 50% more/less drop off that most tentpoles experience in their second weekend.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1327 posts
201 upvotes
It's now being projected that WB will lose between 50 to 100 million dollars on Justice League. Wow.

Now I'm worried about the big Flashpoint movie that was supposedly dependent on the success of JL. Since Flash was pretty good in the movie, I have no doubt they'll still being doing a Flash movie. But I wonder if they'll still attempt the Flashpoint story line since I presume it'll cost a pretty penny to make.
Baaaaaaaaa!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17738 posts
1320 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:33 pm
It's now being projected that WB will lose between 50 to 100 million dollars on Justice League. Wow.

Now I'm worried about the big Flashpoint movie that was supposedly dependent on the success of JL. Since Flash was pretty good in the movie, I have no doubt they'll still being doing a Flash movie. But I wonder if they'll still attempt the Flashpoint story line since I presume it'll cost a pretty penny to make.
Generally, I don't care for articles by Forbes contributors but this guy has actual data to project the ROI.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/20 ... 6c05fb5d8b

A first Flash solo movie would be pretty ambitious if they plan to do Flashpoint. I hope they learn from Fox who has scaled things down like Logan and Deadpool.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 1:06 pm
Generally, I don't care for articles by Forbes contributors but this guy has actual data to project the ROI.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/20 ... 6c05fb5d8b

A first Flash solo movie would be pretty ambitious if they plan to do Flashpoint. I hope they learn from Fox who has scaled things down like Logan and Deadpool.
Fox didn't really scale down either Deadpool or Logan. Both of these movies only got made because of the passion and budget from the people involved.

It was low risk ($50 million for Deadpool) and $100 million for Logan. They didn't want R rated movies, and Deadpool only got greenlit because of the reaction to the leaked teaser.

I love the Fox movies as much as the next guy, but they aren't the ones that deserve the applause for those two movies.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1327 posts
201 upvotes
LinkPersona wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 1:49 pm
Fox didn't really scale down either Deadpool or Logan. Both of these movies only got made because of the passion and budget from the people involved.

It was low risk ($50 million for Deadpool) and $100 million for Logan. They didn't want R rated movies, and Deadpool only got greenlit because of the reaction to the leaked teaser.

I love the Fox movies as much as the next guy, but they aren't the ones that deserve the applause for those two movies.
I'd argue that Fox deserves some credit too because their small budget constraints forced everyone involved to be more creative.

I love how when a movie is a failure, people blame the studios for meddling. But when a movie is successfully, only the director gets praised.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16386 posts
1096 upvotes
Woodbridge
As far as DC release, this was second to the Man of Steel.

I can't get over how or why the studio feels Snyder is their best option to direct.

I love Batman, Superman too much to skip this because of him. What I like is the Flash, he was perfect amd brought life to it.

We watched last night and it seemed if Superman die we all agreed he could've handled everything himself. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14173 posts
2527 upvotes
Toronto
The fact this movie didn't even make 100-150 means that they have to relook at the DC Universe movies. Clearly something is not working here if Wonder Woman made more money.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1327 posts
201 upvotes
I know there are diehards out there that would disagree, but the problem is clearly Snyder and his vision. It's just not appealing to critics and the majority of the audience. Look at what Patty was able to do with Wonder Woman on her first try. There's no way Snyder makes another movie for DC and I'm glad.

I didn't like Man of Steel, hated BvS, but I enjoyed JL. However, I'm not sure if I enjoyed JL because it was fun seeing all the new characters or if it was because of Whedon's help.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16386 posts
1096 upvotes
Woodbridge
carmaster wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 5:24 pm
The fact this movie didn't even make 100-150 means that they have to relook at the DC Universe movies. Clearly something is not working here if Wonder Woman made more money.
This is why I posted that Wonder Woman should've easily made $150+ over the weekend.

Gal Gadot, "Girl Power", Action/Super Hero, Blockbuster.

DC's reputation will continue to hurt them, financially they should be making more.

Snyder must have family or friends over at Warner Bros. I doubt they're pleased with the numbers.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1327 posts
201 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 8:27 pm
This is why I posted that Wonder Woman should've easily made $150+ over the weekend.

Gal Gadot, "Girl Power", Action/Super Hero, Blockbuster.

DC's reputation will continue to hurt them, financially they should be making more.

Snyder must have family or friends over at Warner Bros. I doubt they're pleased with the numbers.
150 million opening weekend for WW? Even without the BvS stench, I doubt it would've hit that much. First time solo movies don't exceed 120, the only one that did was Deadpool with 132.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16386 posts
1096 upvotes
Woodbridge
Having said all that ended up watching it again. LOL

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7972 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
Watched it last night. I thought it was good personally. Not great, but good.

I'd say overall, it's on par with Avengers as far as quality of the movie goes. I know many people are going to argue with me on this, but I think if taken in a vacuum, they're similar. What Avengers has is 4 movies of buildup to help it stand up and come together, but when taken as a standalone movie, it compares to Justice League I found (although it's more cohesive than JL).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7504 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
I was wondering, about Superman being more heroic and less emo... was that Snyder, or was that Whedon coming in and fixing it?

The situations that Snyder put him in MoS makes me thing it was Whedon.....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8074 posts
2877 upvotes
Toronto
That first scene with Wonder Woman throwing a bomb that supposedly big enough to take out 4 city blocks? Such a small explosion...

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7972 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
I also noticed Zac Snyder seems to LOVE slow-mo shots. It makes sense for a character like the Flash and maybe a few action slows here and there, but they really stood out to me.