Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10210 posts
747 upvotes
Mississauga
Mike15 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 9:20 am
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... c7be217f65

Crossed $400M worldwide through Friday. So plus Saturday, plus Sunday, it could almost be at break even already.

It's not a huge "hit" relative to the budget, but it's at least it's increasingly less likely it'll actually lose money.
Break even is around the $700M worldwide mark, so it has a long way to go (the studio only keeps about half of the domestic box office revenue, and even less of the foreign box office). And Warner was not looking for a movie that barely makes a profit (or even makes a profit at all). It was looking for a big ROI that would fuel future DCEU projects, like what Marvel has done very successfully with its projects. That did not happen here and their strategy is not working. They need to revamp.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16386 posts
1096 upvotes
Woodbridge
Time to clean house and reboot. I say take HISHE idea about Batman being the villain and kills Superman! I would love to see that!!!

I say cancel all future DC projects, take 2-3 years off and come back strong.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17739 posts
1320 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 10:21 am

Break even is around the $700M worldwide mark, so it has a long way to go (the studio only keeps about half of the domestic box office revenue, and even less of the foreign box office). And Warner was not looking for a movie that barely makes a profit (or even makes a profit at all). It was looking for a big ROI that would fuel future DCEU projects, like what Marvel has done very successfully with its projects. That did not happen here and their strategy is not working. They need to revamp.
Not quite. Profits percentages decline week to week. The first week is 50% with subsequent weeks lower. That's why they emphasize opening week(end) numbers so much.

Each market is a little different. Take China for instance. The box office percentage is not only less than US/Canada but the studio has to wait longer to get the money.
bembol wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:21 pm
Time to clean house and reboot. I say take HISHE idea about Batman being the villain and kills Superman! I would love to see that!!!

I say cancel all future DC projects, take 2-3 years off and come back strong.
Cancel? Like the already done filming Aquaman and the sure-to-make-money Wonder Woman 2? Shazam will start filming early next year as everything appears to be in place.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1328 posts
201 upvotes
They don't need to reboot. They just need someone else to oversea the direction of the movie universe. Someone not named Snyder.
Baaaaaaaaa!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17739 posts
1320 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 1:35 pm
They don't need to reboot. They just need someone else to oversea the direction of the movie universe. Someone not named Snyder.
They can always soft reboot it with Flashpoint.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1328 posts
201 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 1:44 pm
They can always soft reboot it with Flashpoint.
True, which could be their backdoor way of replacing Ben with Jake as Batman. I wouldn't want that, I like Ben in the role.

Also, rumours are they may be recasting Iris West?
Baaaaaaaaa!
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
I'm not sure there will be a soft reboot, but one change that might happen is Affleck leaving.

The rest of the cast is still on-board, including Henry. On top of that, the cast wasn't and isn't the problem in these movies, it's been WB's meddling.

I'm wondering if somewhere in the multiverse, Snyder was allowed to make his movies with his actual vision and they were received well by the audience. Man of Steel, Batman v Superman Ultimate and Justice League Directors would probably make a very good trilogy, with his actual vision. At the very least, it would feel consistent and finished - and I say this as someone who has liked these movies.

I don't agree with the sentiment that DC has to follow Marvel, with making multiple solo movies for each character, then a team up, then back to movies etc. There can be multiple ways, and you don't need origin movies for every character to care about them.

This is a case of WB causing issues for the brand, with enforcing a 2 hour run-time, not having a clear vision etc. Feige seems to have a lot more power than Johns does on the other side, and I'm not sure even WB will let Johns run with his vision for the DCEU.

We'll see what happens.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7505 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
You don't have to do it like Marvel, but Marvel has one hell of a run going. It's obvious why we all make comparisons.

At a minimum I think DC should be making Superman and Batman standalone movies. Those are the biggest DC Characters. They should definitely be making movies for those Characters. You'd think they'd make a Superman movie over a Shazam movie... that seems like a no brainer.

I also disagree about Snyder's vision. Man of Steel was bipolar. Most people really liked it or really didn't like it (even though I find myself in the middle). Marvel makes craptonne's of money by making movie's that everyone likes. Snyder makes movies that some people like, but alot of people hate. They're more of an acquired taste. If DC wants to make Marvel money, I don't think Snyder's vision gets them there.

I agree Marvel has been much more coordinated with their vision. They have a plan, the execute on the plan, and they do it well. DC kind of makes it up as they go along. Marvel is more proactive, and DC is very reactionary.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23409 posts
1106 upvotes
Markham, ON
no return on capital?...for such a huge risk....are investors just happy to breakeven?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1328 posts
201 upvotes
LinkPersona wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:18 pm
I'm not sure there will be a soft reboot, but one change that might happen is Affleck leaving.

The rest of the cast is still on-board, including Henry. On top of that, the cast wasn't and isn't the problem in these movies, it's been WB's meddling.

I'm wondering if somewhere in the multiverse, Snyder was allowed to make his movies with his actual vision and they were received well by the audience. Man of Steel, Batman v Superman Ultimate and Justice League Directors would probably make a very good trilogy, with his actual vision. At the very least, it would feel consistent and finished - and I say this as someone who has liked these movies.
Snyder had the freedom with both MoS and BvS and they were received with mixed reactions. Sorry, he's had his chance to show his vision, and mainstream audience and critics have not taken to it. I'm tired of people making excuses for him.

There's no need for DC to be a carbon copy of Marvel. Just make good movies, is that too much to ask? JL was a good start.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14173 posts
2528 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 4:33 pm
no return on capital?...for such a huge risk....are investors just happy to breakeven?
Justice League is predicted to lose 50-100 million
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1673 posts
495 upvotes
It's better than B v S. I think they should just let marvel handle this and share in the profits instead.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14173 posts
2528 upvotes
Toronto
Snyder is the Michael Bay of the DC movies. All style with little substance or lasting impression. You watch the movie once and forget about it.
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 5:45 pm
Snyder had the freedom with both MoS and BvS and they were received with mixed reactions. Sorry, he's had his chance to show his vision, and mainstream audience and critics have not taken to it. I'm tired of people making excuses for him.

There's no need for DC to be a carbon copy of Marvel. Just make good movies, is that too much to ask? JL was a good start.
I'm not making excuses for him at all, no need to be so defensive.

However, your bolded statement is interesting to say. I'm curious why you're saying JL is a good start when it's been critically received worse than Man of Steel and Wonder Woman, as well as being very close to Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman. On top of that, box office reception has been extremely poor, on track to be the worst of the DCEU movies.

So as far as facts go, JL is a failure in every conceivable way from a public perception (even in comparison to the other DCEU movies). I'm not sure how that can be considered a good start, and not sure the studio would agree either.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1328 posts
201 upvotes
LinkPersona wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 8:10 am
I'm not making excuses for him at all, no need to be so defensive.

However, your bolded statement is interesting to say. I'm curious why you're saying JL is a good start when it's been critically received worse than Man of Steel and Wonder Woman, as well as being very close to Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman. On top of that, box office reception has been extremely poor, on track to be the worst of the DCEU movies.

So as far as facts go, JL is a failure in every conceivable way from a public perception (even in comparison to the other DCEU movies). I'm not sure how that can be considered a good start, and not sure the studio would agree either.
I should clarify. Outside of Wonder Woman, I thought JL was much more enjoyable than all the other DC movies. But commercially, it's been a disaster and I blame Snyder for that. I'm just tired of hearing people say that they wish Snyder was able to make his movies without the studio meddling, when he had ample opportunity to do that already.
Baaaaaaaaa!