• Dec 9th, 2017 11:38 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7972 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
This is just my opinion but a large part of the problem is that many DC movies take for granted that the viewer is a "comic fan". If you've read the comics, there's a lot of Easter Eggs and references to elements of the comics, but to the casual viewer, it might seem like more clutter to the film/story and might just be confusing. Marvel tones down a lot of its material when adapting to the big screen and a large reason for that is to attract and retain the attention of the masses.

Not saying there's anything wrong with catering to "comic fans" but commercially, the masses are a larger segment, and sometimes "simplifying" things helps you streamline a storyline and concentrate really on the important bits.

It's not that JL is a horrible movie per se, but we've been bombarded with superhero movies for the past half a decade so we've seen good, we've seen great, and we've also reached a certain saturation point too. We need more than to just see Superman or Iron Man flying through the sky to be "wowed" at this point. That might have worked if we were in 2007 and it was the first live action superhero movie generation, but now we expect more.

IMO if JL had come out around the time of the first Marvel Avengers, I think it would have performed much better, but we're a bit past that point.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7453 posts
538 upvotes
I just think story-wise and quality is just not up to par when you can compare it to Marvel.

The storyline and bad acting/lines are just terrible sometimes like in BvS or the choppy JL.

Wonder Woman was great, great flow, pacing everything work.

Having big names, big characters don't mean much if the film itself is just not great or has too many holes.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17735 posts
1318 upvotes
A report on how we ended up with a Frankenstein movie.
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/11/30/just ... ck-snyder/
According to The Wrap, members of Warner Bros. did approach the studio’s president Greg Silverman about removing director Zack Snyder from Justice League. The call came after Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was met with critical backlash and a fierce box office drop after its promising opening. The site’s source says DC President Jon Berg was ultimately sent to oversee Justice League for almost a year after budget concerns made higher-ups antsy.

The report goes on to say Silverman was “quite harsh” to Snyder about Batman v Superman’s flop, but he was given another go at Justice League.

“They were already in deep prep on ‘Justice League’ and it would have cost a fortune. There’s stickiness to a director because there’s so much cost to unstick him,” the insider explained. “Warners is a studio that almost to a fault always wants to project strength.”
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4210 posts
1187 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Haz wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 12:44 am
A report on how we ended up with a Frankenstein movie.
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/11/30/just ... ck-snyder/
I'm not convinced "not enough freedom for Snyder" or "WB meddling" were the problem here. Snyder's had free cracks at his vision, but critically & fan-wise, Patty Jenkins made the best DCEU film to date. I have to laugh at that quote though. WB's been projecting anything but strength by just staying the course after mixed reception for MoS and BvS.

I have no idea what to expect from James Wan's Aquaman, but the fresh blood can't hurt.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4003 posts
556 upvotes
Aurora
Mike15 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 10:18 am
Patty Jenkins made the best DCEU film to date.
Agreed on that. I'd say that's because Patty Jenkins made the most Marvel-like film to date. First, WW has an endearing character, strong yet vulnerable. An earnest character we care about instead of a dour one. Characters - that's first and foremost of importance and it's something Marvel can do very well. In truth, I didn't care too much about Superman or Batman in DECU - even what happened to Superman at the end of BvS didn't really have an impact on me. Second, WW story is pretty good. Third, nice warm colourful saturated palette (at least the island).

Tonally, it reminded my of Captain America 1, which is a good thing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7972 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
The success of movies like Nolan's Batman prove that it's not tone, color or humour that will make or break a superhero movie; it's the characters and the story. Even Watchmen, X-Men and such are fairly successful superhero movies (relative to BvS) and they aren't necessarily the same formula as Marvel.

What most of these movies have in common is that they build up not only characters, but a Universe. The DCEU takes for granted that you know the DC Universe; that you were aware of what LexCorp was during BvS or the significance of the Phantom Zone in MoS. They don't really build the Universe up from the ground for the viewers like some of the aforementioned movies do.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1651 posts
487 upvotes
Snyder might have single-handedly set back DC's plans by 10 years. This guy's a real genius.
Jul 4, 2017
39 posts
23 upvotes
I really hope the Justice League will do at least better than Man of Steel box office wise. As a fan of superhero movies I want to see more of the the individual characters in their own movies or team up movies.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8798 posts
1865 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like JL has claimed its first casualty (maybe second if you count audiences) in Jon Berg the executive in charge of the overseeing the DC adaptations
Variety also speculates Geoff Johns will also have less direct influence on the films going forward

Ben Affleck will probably make one last appearance as Batman in the Flashpoint Flash movie

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dc-fi ... 202632214/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6022 posts
811 upvotes
Grimsby
georgesears wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 2:54 pm
I really hope the Justice League will do at least better than Man of Steel box office wise. As a fan of superhero movies I want to see more of the the individual characters in their own movies or team up movies.
I don't know, I think what you said is exactly why it doesn't deserve to do better at the box office. Marvel carefully laid the groundwork for the Avengers, introduced the characters in standalone films and showed a deft hand at managing both drama and humor between the cast. Warner got greedy and decided to go full steam ahead despite not introducing the majority of the characters. That's why Justice League is such a jumbled mess of a film. The majority of the audience has not read the comics, doesn't know half of the characters and the film goes in too many different directions with a cast that shows little chemistry. Snyder is also big on spectacle but I don't think I've seen a single one of his films where hes put together a coherent and relatable story with characters people like. Even Man of Steel had a really offputting tone in its characterization, I used to think he just got bad scripts but I'm starting to see the common denominator here. I think they've also gone too "grim" in tone for the movies, if they want to make big bucks then they need more humor.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17735 posts
1318 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:43 am
I don't know, I think what you said is exactly why it doesn't deserve to do better at the box office. Marvel carefully laid the groundwork for the Avengers, introduced the characters in standalone films and showed a deft hand at managing both drama and humor between the cast. Warner got greedy and decided to go full steam ahead despite not introducing the majority of the characters. That's why Justice League is such a jumbled mess of a film. The majority of the audience has not read the comics, doesn't know half of the characters and the film goes in too many different directions with a cast that shows little chemistry. Snyder is also big on spectacle but I don't think I've seen a single one of his films where hes put together a coherent and relatable story with characters people like. Even Man of Steel had a really offputting tone in its characterization, I used to think he just got bad scripts but I'm starting to see the common denominator here. I think they've also gone too "grim" in tone for the movies, if they want to make big bucks then they need more humor.
And that is the sad truth. We may never see another TDK again.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6022 posts
811 upvotes
Grimsby
Haz wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:08 am
And that is the sad truth. We may never see another TDK again.
I think they could pull it off again in the future (the Nolan movies made a ton of money) but definitely not with someone like Snyder at the helm. I also think they could stand to give Batman a break for awhile, people tend to be more receptive after they haven't seen a major character for several years. Come up with some good, original scripts and use a quality director.
Jun 29, 2010
810 posts
176 upvotes
How will Aquaman movie do? As a comic fan, I would also like to see more movies, but Aqua is surely the least loved of any DC hero.
I think there's a reason he's been largely left out of the DC animation world. Not even a big part of JL Unlimited.
I had no intention of actually going to Aqua, unless it gets massively good reviews.