Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

DEAD: DELL US: Dell Mini 9 $199US today only (Save $50US) - Ubuntu + white + 8Gb SSD

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2009 2:14 pm
Tags:
None
33 replies
Mar 26, 2007
373 posts
71 upvotes
Sarnia
Awesome, got family in the US and have been waiting for this to drop in price again! Thanks OP!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
8363 posts
692 upvotes
That's HOT!

How hard is it to upgrade the RAM?
Heatware: 36-0-0
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
2386 posts
1108 upvotes
Ontario
RAM and SSD and Wireless cards are easy to upgrade (two screws).
For the 2Gb RAM, buy later 3rd party from Newegg or NCIX etc.
For SSD, buy an expensive FAST Runcore, or cheaper SuperTalent mini PCI-e.
For Wireless, you can upgrade to an N card ... found on ebay.

For more upgrade ideas visit: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell-mi ... ms-f1.html

Remember DELL US: "Products displayed are available to US customers who take delivery in the 50 United States." So I don't think even if you call them up that they'll ship to Canada. :cry:

If you rebuild the system with BT, and 1.3M cam, it comes to $244US = $299CAD ... good deal!!
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2007
2065 posts
566 upvotes
Springfield
Nice price; wish we had it here.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
7403 posts
1790 upvotes
Think the $299 Dell.ca deal better, w/ 1gb ram and WinXP

$199 US
$30 for 512mb
$229
8.75% tax, assume NY state tax
$249 after tax
1.23 FX rate - fairly conservative
$306 CAD - and this is before accounting for the cost of Win XP, and customs tax when bringing it into Canada
Feb 23, 2009
854 posts
32 upvotes
mic2074 wrote: Think the $299 Dell.ca deal better, w/ 1gb ram and WinXP

$199 US
$30 for 512mb
$229
8.75% tax, assume NY state tax
$249 after tax
1.23 FX rate - fairly conservative
$306 CAD - and this is before accounting for the cost of Win XP, and customs tax when bringing it into Canada
I don't think anyone will take that 512mb upgrade for $30, they can buy a third-party 2gb ram elsewhere with some change left :(
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2006
1692 posts
82 upvotes
Not that hot unless you prefer Ubuntu (in which case the deal is good, except that US deal posts suck ass).

Works out to ~$250 CDN, the $299 config mentioned 2 posts up with more RAM and XP was probably better.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2047 posts
309 upvotes
total comes to 219.42 when shipping to pennsylvania

shipping was 8 bucks for service between 3-5 days
Oct 18, 2007
829 posts
44 upvotes
Taft wrote: Not that hot unless you prefer Ubuntu (in which case the deal is good, except that US deal posts suck ass).
I think most of the people who are buying this thing without a windows license are trying to load it up with Apple OSX, rather then use the default Ubuntu. Although I could be wrong as that's just speculation on my part.
Glory to Arstotzka
Feb 9, 2004
822 posts
322 upvotes
Markham
doorbellring wrote: I think most of the people who are buying this thing without a windows license are trying to load it up with Apple OSX, rather then use the default Ubuntu. Although I could be wrong as that's just speculation on my part.
If those people are too cheap to buy a Windows license, I doubt they would fork out the money to buy OS/X. If they know how to find a copy OS/X by 'other' means, then they surely could find a copy Windows the same way. So I don't quite follow your logic. For light use, such as web browsing and email, Ubuntu or other Linux variants function pretty well. I am still using my EEE with unix interface and am pretty happy about it.
Apr 17, 2005
464 posts
44 upvotes
doorbellring wrote: I think most of the people who are buying this thing without a windows license are trying to load it up with Apple OSX, rather then use the default Ubuntu. Although I could be wrong as that's just speculation on my part.
That's exactly what I want to do. It doesn't make sense to pay extra for the XP license, just to throw it out and install OS X. It's too bad about the 8GB SSD and 512MB RAM.. makes the deal less hot if you need to upgrade it out of the box.
Mar 26, 2007
373 posts
71 upvotes
Sarnia
This is exactly why most ppl buy the ubuntu version. It's because paying the extra for Windows is worthless when their just going to wipe it out anyway. Also the Alpine white needs to be added to the comparison w/the $299 machine which adds another $30+ to the bill, where it's free with this deal!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2005
1386 posts
7 upvotes
you can intall OS/X on any pc now? wow i must have been living under a rock? can someone clarify on how you can do this?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
2386 posts
1108 upvotes
Ontario
arsalanmustafa1989 wrote: you can intall OS/X on any pc now? wow i must have been living under a rock? can someone clarify on how you can do this?
No, only on PCs with specific hardware.

Here's a chart of compatible netbooks:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/1 ... patib.html

(The Dell Mini 9 does well in the chart -> all green). ;)

Note, for example, you cannot hackintosh a Dell Mini 10.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2550 posts
572 upvotes
Taft wrote: Not that hot unless you prefer Ubuntu (in which case the deal is good, except that US deal posts suck ass).
Actually, allot of us have Amerifriends and appreciate the heads up on the US deals.

Thanks OP.
Jan 25, 2004
440 posts
I have my CC handy now. :) But let me ask some questions:

Is this the best price in CA and US so far?

Is anyone having first-hand experience with Mini9?

How does it work with 22 inch LCD panels?

TIA
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1265 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
The Mini9 is on sale almost daily in Canada, I would wait for a great deal on the 16gb, usually around $350.

Amazing laptop, love mine, but the 8gb SSD is tight for Hackintoshing or Windows 7, I bought mine during the Dell deal but in retrospect it would have been better to have the bigger harddrive.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1878 posts
1030 upvotes
Lord Denning wrote: The Mini9 is on sale almost daily in Canada, I would wait for a great deal on the 16gb, usually around $350.

Amazing laptop, love mine, but the 8gb SSD is tight for Hackintoshing or Windows 7, I bought mine during the Dell deal but in retrospect it would have been better to have the bigger harddrive.
Bought my mini yesterday, and to your postjust called and got my hd changed to 16gb ssd
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5438 posts
80 upvotes
Sydney
Would love one to hackintosh, but definitely waiting for a 16GB SSD model, and perhaps one with a webcam and bluetooth. Why don't netbooks come with those last two standard? It's pretty much one of the advantages it has over cheap laptops. *sigh*