None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7673 posts
10975 upvotes
Scarbs

Dead HDD - Need data salvage service in Markham area

Hey folks!

I've got a dead HDD here, and I'm looking for businesses in the Markham area that can help me salvage whatever data is left on the drive. I acknowledge that this isn't going to be cheap; I'm just looking for individuals who have a good track record.

Thanks!
16 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
ShadowVlican wrote: tried the freezer trick?
Kindly expand.

I have two hard disks that failed.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
longitude wrote: Kindly expand.

I have two hard disks that failed.
Good way to eliminate the possibility of data recovery by a professional if you do it. If you don't care whether you get your data back, then go for it.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote:Try CBL Data ...
Ditto.
Costly but they have been at it for years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7673 posts
10975 upvotes
Scarbs
Will probably go with CBL. It's not my drive, and it's not my money - I just have to find someone who can do the job :lol:
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
ShadowVlican wrote: http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-fa ... ezer-redux

or just google it

i've tried it before successfully years and years back... and now i know to backup my data lol

oh and... try that at your own risk.. i take no responsib.....bla bla blabla.......
+ 1,
I use that method few times. If drive still power up and spins, then freeze method will work
if is dead dead no power. then go to data center
most of the time the problem is heat on the hard drive. Freezer method is to get the drive cool enough for you to copy data out
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
Freezer method will allow ice to form on the platters, and once the read head hits the ice it'll scratch the surface. It'll of course damage the platters. The HDD is spinning at 5900-7200rpm, and ice being hard and sharp, this isn't a good idea.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1975 posts
1314 upvotes
rageking wrote: Freezer method will allow ice to form on the platters, and once the read head hits the ice it'll scratch the surface. It'll of course damage the platters. The HDD is spinning at 5900-7200rpm, and ice being hard and sharp, this isn't a good idea.
that why you double bag with zip lock bag so no moisture will get in. I've also tried it and it works.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
66xx66 wrote: that why you double bag with zip lock bag so no moisture will get in. I've also tried it and it works.
+1
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
how long in the freezer?

this is getting interesting.

Casa di mama and western digital together side by side.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Apr 3, 2010
876 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
aeba7 wrote: Hey folks!

I've got a dead HDD here, and I'm looking for businesses in the Markham area that can help me salvage whatever data is left on the drive. I acknowledge that this isn't going to be cheap; I'm just looking for individuals who have a good track record.

Thanks!
I'd recommend ReStoring Data Inc. They are based out in Vancouver. You can either ship the drive to them or drop it off at their downtown Toronto location or their Mississauga location for free shipping to Vancouver.

I just used them successfully to recover almost 1TB from an external USB drive. It was pricy though.

I'd strongly recommend against putting your disk in the freezer if the data is important to you.
:)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
longitude wrote: how long in the freezer?

this is getting interesting.

Casa di mama and western digital together side by side.

Said 12 hours here
http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-fa ... ezer-redux
Buy usually I leave about 1 hour
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7673 posts
10975 upvotes
Scarbs
Soul_Rebel wrote: I'd recommend ReStoring Data Inc. They are based out in Vancouver. You can either ship the drive to them or drop it off at their downtown Toronto location or their Mississauga location for free shipping to Vancouver.

I just used them successfully to recover almost 1TB from an external USB drive. It was pricy though.

I'd strongly recommend against putting your disk in the freezer if the data is important to you.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going with something more local for the reason that any bumps along the way to Vancouver courtesy of CP/Puro/UPS may make things worse.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
I had a client go to CBL and was not able to recover anything from a formatted drive.

I was able to run some software and recover maybe 65% of the data. Not sure what the guys at CBL did, but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I recently sent someone to a small business shop in Toronto that i found from RFD. He was able to extract the data from a clicking hard drive. Good rates too. I cant remember the name. I will check for his card when I am in the office tomorrow.