Personal Finance

[DEAD] Ontario to roll out basic income in three cities - Hamilton, Thunder Bay and Lindsay

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2018 1:04 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51962 posts
16554 upvotes

[DEAD] Ontario to roll out basic income in three cities - Hamilton, Thunder Bay and Lindsay

Interesting. Hopefully, the free money is given to really deserving households.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e34795127/

Ontario will provide 4,000 residents in Hamilton, Thunder Bay and Lindsay with free income, part of the government’s plan to test whether the extra funds will help improve their job prospects and quality of life.

The idea is to give the province’s working poor, unemployed and homeless residents a so-called basic income to pay for their basic needs of food and housing.

The recipients will be randomly chosen from the three regions and will start receiving the cash as soon as this summer. A single person could receive up to $16,989 per year, and a couple could get up to $24,027 annually.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Aug 6th, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
231 replies
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
779 upvotes
Wonder if a couple with kids will continue to get the child credits/HST/Trillium?

$18,000 of credits plus $24,027 basic income, leaves a couple with two kids in a position where they wouldn't need to work if they were willing to settle for a simple life.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1561 posts
710 upvotes
This is actually on top of other social assistance and free dental and drugs. Oh and there is also free tuition. Ridiculous.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4087 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Eventually the basic income would eliminate all the other programs and should save money. I think it is a good idea all around.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
6284 posts
5698 upvotes
Here on earth
Chickinvic wrote: Eventually the basic income would eliminate all the other programs and should save money. I think it is a good idea all around.
Debatable.
I fail to see how paying somebody to do nothing, will encourage them to go find a job.
If anything this should be rolled out, and limited to very high unemployment rate cities.
Cities where people don't work because there isn't enough jobs to go around.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32314 posts
3141 upvotes
Winnipeg
Chickinvic wrote: Eventually the basic income would eliminate all the other programs and should save money. I think it is a good idea all around.
hopefully it will work out as intended
Mar 16, 2011
409 posts
206 upvotes
I'm guessing the Liberals are looking for votes in those cities in the next election...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6015 posts
2739 upvotes
I'm extremely skeptical about the chances for success. One need look no further than the First Nations people of this country who get boatloads of free money. How has that worked out for them?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4087 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Conquistador wrote: I'm extremely skeptical about the chances for success. One need look no further than the First Nations people of this country who get boatloads of free money. How has that worked out for them?
From my understanding money goes to the "band" where it is often corrupt leaders who live high and mighty while everyone else suffers. Perhaps someone could correct me on that.
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
779 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: From my understanding money goes to the "band" where it is often corrupt leaders who live high and mighty while everyone else suffers. Perhaps someone could correct me on that.
I would agree with that. I would also suggest that with the First Nations, you're often dealing with people who are much more damaged than the traditionally poor person. You're also often dealing with an area where there are real employment issues, depressions, suicides etc. There is far more to this issue with the First Nations than simply providing too much funding. This is a much deeper issue that goes back several generations.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
6284 posts
5698 upvotes
Here on earth
Chickinvic wrote: From my understanding money goes to the "band" where it is often corrupt leaders who live high and mighty while everyone else suffers. Perhaps someone could correct me on that.
I won't correct you on that.
I will say, at least on some reserves in Manitoba, there are many natives that seem to have money to throw away.
We have a long time family friend here that owns a used vehicle lot and a mechanic shop, and he goes to auctions and buys up lease return pickup trucks, because he knows they're a gold mine.
He sells them like hot cakes, mostly to natives on the reserves, and he's had many come back on flat beds, sometimes months later, so damaged they're undrivable and too often unrealistically unrepairable.
They drive the crap out of them for a few months to a year, then they go buy another.
These are the same people that have 15k snow machines, and drive them miles out onto the lakes, and if one runs out of gas or breaks down, they leave it there and let it sink to the bottom of the lake once the ice melts.
No joke. They just don't care.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4087 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
coolintheshade wrote: I won't correct you on that.
I will say, at least on some reserves in Manitoba, there are many natives that seem to have money to throw away.
We have a long time family friend here that owns a used vehicle lot and a mechanic shop, and he goes to auctions and buys up lease return pickup trucks, because he knows they're a gold mine.
He sells them like hot cakes, mostly to natives on the reserves, and he's had many come back on flat beds, sometimes months later, so damaged they're undrivable and too often unrealistically unrepairable.
They drive the crap out of them for a few months to a year, then they go buy another.
These are the same people that have 15k snow machines, and drive them miles out onto the lakes, and if one runs out of gas or breaks down, they leave it there and let it sink to the bottom of the lake once the ice melts.
No joke. They just don't care.
It is definitely a broken system - sadly.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
6284 posts
5698 upvotes
Here on earth
Conquistador wrote: I'm extremely skeptical about the chances for success. One need look no further than the First Nations people of this country who get boatloads of free money. How has that worked out for them?
I guess time will soon tell if Thunder Bay is a rollout town. That pretty much is a reserve.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6482 posts
2692 upvotes
Compared to Ontario Works max $8,112/year (max $300 needs, $376 shelter/month) it is +$8,877 or +$740/month

Compared to ODSP max $13,536/yr (max $649 needs, $479 shelter/month) it is +$3,453 or +$288/month

Compared to max EI at $543/wk (28,236/52 weeks) it is -$11,247 or -$937/month

Compared to employment (Ersnt & Young Tax calculator http://www.ey.com/ca/en/services/tax/tax-calculators) it is $18,352 before taxes or 31 hrs at min ($11.40)/week
Aug 23, 2007
145 posts
68 upvotes
London
If Basic Income replaces everything else, it'll save the administration of all the obsolete programs.