Page 1 of 1

*DEAD*[Sears] Craftsman 21" 3-in-1 179cc 7.0 torque Kohler Lawn Mower - $149.95

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 1:29 am
by Gurren
A bit of an older model but back in stock - in the warehouse at least. Most stores will not have any physical stock but they can be DOS ordered in for $149.95 by an associate by providing the details below. In-store only. Not available on Sears.ca or catalog.

Division: 71
Stock #:36947

Edit: forgot to add that I only checked the warehouse for western and central provinces. If you're from an eastern province, you might be out of luck.

[IMG]http://catalog.sears.ca/wcsstore/Master ... 6947_P.jpg[/IMG]
  • Quiet and fuel-efficient Kohler® OHV engine features priority overhead valves to increase power output while reducing engine noise and fuel consumption. 173cc OHV engine delivers 7.0 ft.lbs of torque. Lubrication system helps keep parts in good condition
  • 21" Multi-Cut (3-in-1) deck. Conversion between bagging, mulching and discharging modes is quick and easy.
  • Quick adjust Deck with ergonomic knobs so mowing height can be adjusted quickly and easily to accommodate changing mowing conditions. 5-position with cutting range 1.25 to 3.42"
  • Handle folds for storage; mechanical governor adjusts engine speed to accommodate terrain
  • 2-year warranty

Re: *DEAD*[Sears] Craftsman 21" 3-in-1 179cc 7.0 torque Kohler Lawn Mower - $149.95

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 1:58 am
by canadastc
I am looking for a lawn mower as well, any thoughts?

Re: *DEAD*[Sears] Craftsman 21" 3-in-1 179cc 7.0 torque Kohler Lawn Mower - $149.95

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 2:29 am
by Gurren
canadastc wrote: I am looking for a lawn mower as well, any thoughts?
If you are in the market for just a basic push mower without any fancy features such as a wash-out port to clean out the bottom of the deck; then this mower is sufficient enough to do the job. It has an overhead valve for better fuel efficiency and for a "cleaner" burn compared to other models with a side valve. That said - the higher the torque, the better the cut. The torque on this model is higher than the average mowers on the market today which is required for cutting tall and/or wet grass (it works together with displacement). For my personal preference, I would rather go with a B&S motor; but for the exact same specs with the B&S motor, you would be paying $250+ so you can't really go wrong. You can always return it if it is not to your liking. The only "downside" that I see with this mower is that it requires manual priming which is not required by most current models since they are automatically primed.

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 3:07 am
by canadastc
Gurren wrote: If you are in the market for just a basic push mower without any fancy features such as a wash-out port to clean out the bottom of the deck; then this mower is sufficient enough to do the job. It has an overhead valve for better fuel efficiency and for a "cleaner" burn compared to other models with a side valve. That said - the higher the torque, the better the cut. The torque on this model is higher than the average mowers on the market today which is required for cutting tall and/or wet grass (it works together with displacement). For my personal preference, I would rather go with a B&S motor; but for the exact same specs with the B&S motor, you would be paying $250+ so you can't really go wrong. You can always return it if it is not to your liking. The only "downside" that I see with this mower is that it requires manual priming which is not required by most current models since they are automatically primed.
Thanks gurren for your advice. I never owned a lawn mower before since I had been living in condo always. And now I also only have a small backyard to manage so maybe this lawn mower is too much for me?

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 8:05 am
by Inno
canadastc wrote: Thanks gurren for your advice. I never owned a lawn mower before since I had been living in condo always. And now I also only have a small backyard to manage so maybe this lawn mower is too much for me?
For a small backyard I'd go with a hand mower or electric. Much quieter, always starts, no messy fuel, more environmentally friendly. I do about 20 X 40 feet with a hand mower and it only takes about 15 minutes. No time spent buying fuel, filling a tank, etc.

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 8:27 am
by ziff55
Inno wrote: For a small backyard I'd go with a hand mower or electric. Much quieter, always starts, no messy fuel, more environmentally friendly. I do about 20 X 40 feet with a hand mower and it only takes about 15 minutes. No time spent buying fuel, filling a tank, etc.
+1

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 2:11 pm
by canadastc
Thanks Inno, yea, that's exactly I am looking for now. But manual one is not that cheap as I thought, some could be 100 bucks as well.

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 2:39 pm
by Inno
canadastc wrote: Thanks Inno, yea, that's exactly I am looking for now. But manual one is not that cheap as I thought, some could be 100 bucks as well.
True but no ongoing costs for gas, repairs, etc.

I got a nice used Husqvarna for $35 at a yard sale. Only needs sharpening every 5 years or so b

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 2:45 pm
by Rudee
If you are thinking about going with a cordless mower, I highly recommend the Worx 24V 17-in Cordless Lawn Mower. Canadian Tire currently has them on sale for $279. (reg $399.99). They are extremely quiet, the battery lasts a long time, and they perform extremely well. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2 ... ?locale=en

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 2:56 pm
by riccd2001
I bought one of these Kohler-powered mowers during the mid-winter fiasco with Sears $Can109 deal (in-stock, OOS, In stock, OOS) for another model which was front-wheel drive instead.

Bottom line is that if the deck is adjusted too low, this motor is so powerful it'll suck up gravel from the driveway and chew up the stones! When you fuel up this easy-to-start mower it's advisable to use non-ethanol gasoline to prevent damage to the fuel-line and carb. Still a nice deal for $Can149. :cheesygri

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 3:02 pm
by jimmy-j
Inno wrote: True but no ongoing costs for gas, repairs, etc.

I got a nice used Husqvarna for $35 at a yard sale. Only needs sharpening every 5 years or so b
there's not much extra cost for gas or repairs

each year i buy about $2-3 of gas and that lasts me the whole season mowing my front and back yard once per week. sharpen your blades when you need it and clean the spark plug regularly... if you ever need a replacement, they're online for like $2. oil is $5 and a quart can last for years if you're just topping up.

my yard isn't all that big. i live in a cookie cutter neighborhood so front and back yard are not big at all.

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 3:03 pm
by Gweedz
Inno wrote: For a small backyard I'd go with a hand mower or electric. Much quieter, always starts, no messy fuel, more environmentally friendly. I do about 20 X 40 feet with a hand mower and it only takes about 15 minutes. No time spent buying fuel, filling a tank, etc.
+1
And a hand mower (reel mower) is healthier for your lawn as it gently shears the blades of grass, instead of ripping them with a high speed edge.
I own an older reel mower (30+ years) and I do sharpen the blades ever year - which is something not everyone knows how to do, however I do see ads for newer ones that don't require sharpening. Not sure how that works.

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 3:07 pm
by Gweedz
I know it's spring time when I hear people up and down the street trying to start their gas mowers. :)
Keep in mind a gas mower puts out more pollution than the average car.
Unless needed for the size of lawn, I see zero advantages for gas over electric or manual.

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 4:08 pm
by Rudee
Gweedz wrote: +1
And a hand mower (reel mower) is healthier for your lawn as it gently shears the blades of grass, instead of ripping them with a high speed edge.
I own an older reel mower (30+ years) and I do sharpen the blades ever year - which is something not everyone knows how to do, however I do see ads for newer ones that don't require sharpening. Not sure how that works.
I previously had a hand mower (reel mowers) but found they only work good if you cut your lawn on a regular basis, never letting the grass get too long. If the grass gets too long, the hand mower has difficulty cutting it, and the grass clippings are too long for proper benefit to the lawn. (the clippings need to be very short to benefit the lawn). I now have an electric mower that Is so much easier, and less hassle.

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2013 9:49 pm
by Zombywoof
Tried to buy one of these today, timing is perfect for me. Sales droid punched in the stock #, red box popped up: "This item cannot be reserved". Check of the floor in-store, nope. Computer check revealed OOS at every store in the GTA. Sales droid says it's a discontinued model and there are none in the warehouse or we wouldn't have gotten the red box message. She did, however, provide me with the name of a guy who will be working tomorrow, saying, "he's really good at finding things, he knows all the numbers". So I dunno, "A" for effort I guess. :confused:

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2013 6:02 pm
by haze325
Tried to order in Calgary, told no stock and can't order in either, none is warehouse.

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2013 7:51 pm
by Majic31
tried at the Promenade Mall (Vaughan, Ont)... also told it was OOS and unable to order.
Had the clerk go see some supervisor, they spent about 10mins trying - OOS
Then he says - "I'll give you a rain check".... " oh wait, that's the regular price - no rain check"

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 7:27 pm
by cookerice
Zombywoof wrote: Tried to buy one of these today, timing is perfect for me. Sales droid punched in the stock #, red box popped up: "This item cannot be reserved". Check of the floor in-store, nope. Computer check revealed OOS at every store in the GTA. Sales droid says it's a discontinued model and there are none in the warehouse or we wouldn't have gotten the red box message. She did, however, provide me with the name of a guy who will be working tomorrow, saying, "he's really good at finding things, he knows all the numbers". So I dunno, "A" for effort I guess. :confused:
Did you get it?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 10:00 pm
by Zombywoof
cookerice wrote: Did you get it?
Nope, I contacted OP, who advised me the deal was only good west of Ontario, so I didn't bother calling the Sears guy. OP did amend his post to reflect the geographical limitation. Too bad, $150 would have been a good deal for that mower. Still looking for one, I need a new one before the leaves fall. We'll see what comes along. :)