• Mar 23rd, 2011 6:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 16, 2007
72 posts
8 upvotes
GTA

Deal on DSL - Bell is increasing price again - want to change

Bell is increasing the DSL internet price by $3. my internet bill started from $25 to now over $60 (increase in usage and speed as well). I want to change earlier but I will lose my e-mail accounts which I do not prefer to do. Now get to a point that I will go through the agony of changing the e-mail addresses for a cheap internet package. I heard techsavvy is cheap, any comments and suggestions?

I am in Thornhill/ Markham ontario
10 replies
Oct 10, 2008
957 posts
96 upvotes
teksavvy cable or dsl is excellent. (I would prefer cable, but only DSL in my area so far). Their customer support is top notch, which makes the pricing more competitive. about 2 years ago I switch to Dry Loop DSL, and vonage for my VoIP ... so I don't even have a land line anymore.

merged-gta-pq-teksavvy-now-offering-res ... et-889136/

I know people are tied to their email accounts, but I've personally never used one tied to a specific ISP. Been with GMAIL since it's inception, and use it to manage all my contacts & calendar which sync to my mobile phone. If you are going through the pain of switching, why not go to something not tied to a specific provider ... which means you can do that now before the change of internet provider.

Apparently 3web has been rather good as a Cable provider since taken over by new ownership.

an alternate for DSL is Acanac .. http://www.acanac.ca/DSL.html
Jun 4, 2005
389 posts
15 upvotes
Acanac is horrible, search the forums here for experiences.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15309 posts
7618 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
+1 TekSavvy
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Apr 16, 2007
72 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2011 5:56 pm
+1 TekSavvy

Thanks. I will go with Teksavvy.

Any suggestion regarding the modem that I need to purchase for teksavvy. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15309 posts
7618 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rxfrank88 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2011 5:29 pm
Any suggestion regarding the modem that I need to purchase for teksavvy.
It depends on whether you get DSL or cable. If DSL then almost any DSL modem will do. Just make sure the modem supports ADSL2+ in order to handle future speed improvements. If you have multiple PCs and/or want to access your DSL connection via wireless then I'd suggest an integrated DSL modem/router like the SpeedTouch 546 or 585. They're available from http://www.speedtouch.ca/typesearch.php for less than from TekSavvy.

If you opt for cable then let someone more knowledgeable than I on that subject post their recommendations.
veni, vidi, Visa