Automotive

Dealer applied rust proofing bad? or just expensive?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 9:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1435 posts
199 upvotes
Maple

Dealer applied rust proofing bad? or just expensive?

Hey guys, here is the deal

due to many various issues I was offered to do a undercoat and rust proofing for free on my new vehicle. I typically use corrosion free on my cars with good results. I know the drill, dealer rustproofing and undercoat is typically never recommended and everyone says to outsource as the prices are much less than the dealer.

But keep in mind I do not have to pay for it.

They seem to use a black waxoyl type undercoat and a clear wax for panels and the such. This black undercoat does not completely dry like the older rubberised undercoat that would trap moisture.

Should I push for something else? or take the undercoat and the warranty that I will get with it ( lifetime, but the paper its written on is probably worth more ). If the dealer stuff is "good" then maybe I should. Seeking advice here.

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
2959 posts
305 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Dealers would most likely take the car to Sym-tech for the rust proofing.

If it's offered for free, take it. If you have to pay full price for it, then no. It won't look like a dripping mess like Krown, but certain areas such as hood/engine bay and door hinges could look a bit ugly depending on the car colour.

This also depends on which package you're being offered. Different tiers give you different levels of protection. I would assume underbody would be the most basic one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1435 posts
199 upvotes
Maple
They do it all in house apparently. Its a Chrysler dealership for a new ram. I think they will be doing the clear wax and the black wax for the undercoat. they say its a one time application. This is where im a bit iffy. How does it last that long when people normally spray rustproofing annually or bi annually.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1918 posts
858 upvotes
Montreal
If it's the same stuff my parents got at Honda, it's pretty darn durable, where they spray it that is. Problem is they spray the underbody only, completely ignored any suspension component, crossmember and such.

If I were to do it again I'd just spray a few cans of fluid film myself, would certainly get better coverage, and piece of cake to do on a Ram.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1435 posts
199 upvotes
Maple
what about adding fluid film itself after on all said components, even the under body down the road if I decide to get known or corrosion free?
Feb 17, 2015
571 posts
213 upvotes
Canada
OP may we know the issues why they are offering you the rustproofing?
...its all good man... 😎
Jun 20, 2010
648 posts
247 upvotes
They do in-house undercoating. My detailer friend does it for Dodge. They hoist your car up, and spray it from a metal drum. Still can't manage to get him to do that on my car for a 12 pack. Lol
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2165 posts
249 upvotes
Ancaster
If it's free I'd take it.

I've had the dealer throw in that type of rustproofing on a 2014 Grand Cherokee. It's really durable and you're right the undercoating isn't firm like the Ziebart products I've had in the past. I don't see it drying out.

They do an annual inspection for free and if they find any areas that it's worn off they'll respray that area.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1918 posts
858 upvotes
Montreal
corcoran_chris wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:31 am
what about adding fluid film itself after on all said components, even the under body down the road if I decide to get known or corrosion free?
You can certainly do that. Although I would make the dealer spray as many part as possible and inspect it to make sure they actually did it.
Jul 7, 2009
359 posts
122 upvotes
It's pretty useless and I'd only do it if it's free and if it's on a new car.

On older cars, spraying the undercoat with the sym-tech material can actually trap moisture underneath the car and cause rust.

I've done research on the whole subject of rust proofing and come to the conclusion only the 'grease-type' anti rust material that penetrates the inside of panels actually do something.

And, unless you plan to keep the car for 10+ years, most modern cars don't really need anti-rust.

I have a Mazda (which were really bad for rust for late 90's to mid 2000's), so I got it done just for peace of mind.