Automotive

Dealer diagnostic fee, are they really this high?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 12:02 pm
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
131 posts
62 upvotes

Dealer diagnostic fee, are they really this high?

My wifes AC stopped working last summer and it's time to get it fixed as Summer is coming up. We went to the dealership to do deal with a recall and I inquired about checking the AC.
The dealer told me it would require a diagnostic fee of $159+tax, and that the fee is on top of the repair, it would not be deducted if I got the work done. I almost choked.

Does that seem insane to anyone else? Car is a 2007 Honda Civic if that matters
18 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1362 posts
514 upvotes
ontario
Your 1st mistake was going to the dealer for anything outside of warranty or recall work.

Luckily you have not made the 2nd mistake.

Take it to an independent shop.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5871 posts
1429 upvotes
I called my local Toyota dealership just to see how much it'd be to run a diagnostic for a check engine light. They quoted me $112 + HST and like your situation, it would not be refunded if they did the work.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
131 posts
62 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 7:32 pm
Its an 11 year old car. Time to sell before it becomes a money pit/rust bucket, or just drive with the windows open.
It's an 11 year old Honda with 65k on it. it never gets driven and in 11 years the only thing wrong with it is a broken AC and a recall for an airbag, why would I sell it?
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14984 posts
2993 upvotes
Toronto
It's called stealership for a reason. Go to an independent garage and they will not charge you.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
12190 posts
1155 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 6:33 pm
My wifes AC stopped working last summer and it's time to get it fixed as Summer is coming up. We went to the dealership to do deal with a recall and I inquired about checking the AC.
The dealer told me it would require a diagnostic fee of $159+tax, and that the fee is on top of the repair, it would not be deducted if I got the work done. I almost choked.

Does that seem insane to anyone else? Car is a 2007 Honda Civic if that matters
Not sure where you are located but if you are somewhere in the west end of GTA I can pm you an a/c mechanic who is very reasonable and honest. Depending on the issue with your a/c system, there are certain remedies which can resolve refrigerant leaks.
The new family of 'stop leak" sealents will work on most systems where the leak is not too big. For a car that is eleven years old, I don't think anyone is foolish enough to spend a lot of money on any level of serious repairs.

http://goredangel.com/blog/ac-stop-leak-work/
Jun 20, 2015
464 posts
112 upvotes
Place
I get how they charged for a fee just to check the car, but man... its expensive!

Hopefully you get your A/C fix.
Good luck!
Dec 10, 2006
469 posts
55 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 8:18 pm
It's called stealership for a reason. Go to an independent garage and they will not charge you.
Almost all shops charge a diagnostic fee.

The mechanic needs to diagnose what the issue is, determine which parts (if necessary) are required, develop a quote, and present it to the customer for approval. I've never heard of a shop doing this for free.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
17995 posts
6109 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I just flushed $1250 down the toilet and haven’t solved my car problem yet.

Your $159 diag fee looks pretty good to me right about now.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Jun 8, 2007
931 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga
Parts quote for drum brake auto-adjusters at Toyota: two for $120.

Parts quote from RockAuto: two for $8.

Dealerships can go to hell.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1120 posts
708 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 8:18 pm
No charge? Which garage is this?
Dec 20, 2015
863 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto, ON
billford wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 11:53 pm
No charge? Which garage is this?
I guess what @carmaster meant was indy shops will not charge you diagnostic fee to look at it. Obviously there's repair/parts/labor fees after when you do fix it.

The dealership's need to maintain their high profile in the public, so their rates are always higher for everything compared to everyone else.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3028 posts
843 upvotes
Mississauga
Bleys007 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 10:34 pm
Parts quote for drum brake auto-adjusters at Toyota: two for $120.

Parts quote from RockAuto: two for $8.

Dealerships can go to hell.
Yep. Replaced the magnetic ride rear struts on my car last year. Dealership wanted $1000 each; Rock Auto was $350.

I try to support local businesses when I can and I understand they need to make money, but that price difference is disgusting.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1120 posts
708 upvotes
lamboman wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 6:29 am
I guess what @carmaster meant was indy shops will not charge you diagnostic fee to look at it. Obviously there's repair/parts/labor fees after when you do fix it.

The dealership's need to maintain their high profile in the public, so their rates are always higher for everything compared to everyone else.
So, if you have a drivability problem, they will diagnose it, spend a hour or 2 on it, tell you what you need, and you can leave for no charge?