Dealer purchase price for CRV vs RAV4

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2019 12:43 am
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
snowhite445 wrote: Yes, it must not be a purchase from the heart :)

8% is pretty high. If I were a dealer I would sell cars at 1-3% and at times maybe at 0% profit to keep employees salaries paid like the rest of the industries margin.
What? What is the drug you smoke and how can we get everyone in retail to smoke it? Seriously, you are outta wack or just out of touch.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
snowhite445 wrote: 8% is pretty high. If I were a dealer I would sell cars at 1-3% and at times maybe at 0% profit to keep employees salaries paid like the rest of the industries margin.
Not sure if you are familiar with sales in general or shop much in department stores. You know how Bay always have 50% sales but the tag is magically 40-60% more expensive than usual? That's how car prices work. If you pay MSRP, they are all laughing to the bank. They set it at 8% because they know you are going to low ball them down to 3% to make it sounds like a deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2017
1121 posts
162 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Not sure if you are familiar with sales in general or shop much in department stores. You know how Bay always have 50% sales but the tag is magically 40-60% more expensive than usual? That's how car prices work. If you pay MSRP, they are all laughing to the bank. They set it at 8% because they know you are going to low ball them down to 3% to make it sounds like a deal.
Yeah, I understand the 8% and see it in unhaggle prices but couldn't believe it's true. This industry hasn't been been hit with any disruptive technology yet. I guess the likes of Tesla with corporate sells may change that mentality and make them competitive one day.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
snowhite445 wrote: Yeah, I understand the 8% and see it in unhaggle prices but couldn't believe it's true. This industry hasn't been been hit with any disruptive technology yet. I guess the likes of Tesla with corporate sells may change that mentality and make them competitive one day.
Actually Tesla will be the opposite. The dealership model is probably a lot more consumer friendly than direct sales because it allows overstock of inventory and clearance discount.

Direct sale model can control inventory a lot better and hence less discount. Case in point, Apple Store and Apple products prices can stand pretty firm compared to other electronics.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2017
1121 posts
162 upvotes
My rants about Toyota / Honda:

Yeah, I don't see much in Hybrids...so not interested in those.

CRV is another good choice that is being considered. They have $750 promo now, 0.99% finance/lease rates, and give $800 if lease of financing, and if depositing 10 months equivalent of the lease then lease will be lowered by 1%. All this sounds good but Toyota retains better value on 4-6 years, 60-40 split is on the correct side (i.e. 60 split is on passenger side giving more room to move things, and has better lane assist I think. They have also picked up their game with shocks/struts and it's not jumpy jumpy anymore but Honda says their CRV is still a better ride (I couldn't tell).

On the other hand, CRV has Android Play (RAV4 doesn't) and has 90 degree doors for the back seat, and lower fuel consumption.

Toyota has wireless charger for phone and space for phone and space on top of glove box are well positioned while CRV doesn't have any space on top of glove box and phone space is not close to dashboard...

Toyota Sports mode felt stronger and better. Honda's sport's gear (that's bad; it's not a button like RAV4) doesn't feel as powerful.

Hard choices to make. I am not sure how Honda fares compared to Toyota for maintenence and durance over the years....
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
OP I suggest you price out insurance in these two SuVs before choosing. I just got an estimate online I got serious sticker shock. They are almost double compared to the likes of the Cx-5 or Equinox.

My guess is they are thief favorites.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
koffey wrote: That's what happens when everyone believe that Honda/Toyota are the best and most reliable. You get to pay sticker!!
Does anyone associate Honda with reliability these days? I thought that stopped in 1998 though back then they were rustbuckets with interiors made for robots so there was that. Toyblowta OTOH yeah people believe they are something special when it comes to reliability :rolleyes: but then most of their vehicles are garbanzo beans, so there's that. RAV4 is ok I guess--just looks a bit ugly these days though not as bad as its Lexus bretheren.

Anyway I think Unhaggle has OP covered here.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1568 posts
613 upvotes
Brampton
mr_raider wrote: OP I suggest you price out insurance in these two SuVs before choosing. I just got an estimate online I got serious sticker shock. They are almost double compared to the likes of the Cx-5 or Equinox.

Confirming above point. My 2017 CRV Touring was stolen from GO station during the day last week. Police confirmed CRV is high on list.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
dealerguy wrote: Confirming above point. My 2017 CRV Touring was stolen from GO station during the day last week. Police confirmed CRV is high on list.
I ran some scenarios with my account online, and a BMW x5 or Tesla Model 3 are cheaper to insure. The CR-V would cost me 1200$ annually, the Tesla 630$!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2017
1121 posts
162 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: OP I suggest you price out insurance in these two SuVs before choosing. I just got an estimate online I got serious sticker shock. They are almost double compared to the likes of the Cx-5 or Equinox.

Yes, that is a good point. RAV4 is about $2200 and CRV is about $1800 from one company I got quote and $1600 CRV and $2000 RAV4 from another company I got quote. So, RAV4 is consistently higher in insurance and of course that makes a difference when it comes to pricing. Both cars don't depreciate the same but more or less the same. RAV4 has a sweet selling point at 4 or 5 years point but Honda is depreciated more around that time.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
snowhite445 wrote: Yes, that is a good point. RAV4 is about $2200 and CRV is about $1800 from one company I got quote and $1600 CRV and $2000 RAV4 from another company I got quote. So, RAV4 is consistently higher in insurance and of course that makes a difference when it comes to pricing. Both cars don't depreciate the same but more or less the same. RAV4 has a sweet selling point at 4 or 5 years point but Honda is depreciated more around that time.
I didn't take my own advice and ended up with the Cr-v cause the wife had to have it. Now my insurance company gave me 30 days to install a tracking device. After that I get 350$ rebate on the premium.
Nov 17, 2016
288 posts
177 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: I didn't take my own advice and ended up with the Cr-v cause the wife had to have it. Now my insurance company gave me 30 days to install a tracking device. After that I get 350$ rebate on the premium.
How much does it cost to install tracking device?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Vi20161128 wrote: How much does it cost to install tracking device?
Surprise surprise! 349.99$
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2017
1121 posts
162 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Surprise surprise! 349.99$
Is that the device that tracks your speed and braking habits too or just used against theft? Because the driver habits device is optional and not mandatory. You sounded like this is something mandatory you are installing.

And yeah, surprise surprise, of course they will protect their assets by making you pay for it; that is sound business!!! Our laws allow for Banks and Insurance companies to rip us off after the government ripoff.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
snowhite445 wrote: Is that the device that tracks your speed and braking habits too or just used against theft? Because the driver habits device is optional and not mandatory. You sounded like this is something mandatory you are installing.

And yeah, surprise surprise, of course they will protect their assets by making you pay for it; that is sound business!!! Our laws allow for Banks and Insurance companies to rip us off after the government ripoff.
It is mandatory for my insurer to accept the vehicle. I have 30 days to install it. Several other insurers require it. I have the choice of several devices (Bommerang etc...) I chose the Tag Tracking which uses an autonomous battery that does not parasite of the vehicle battery. It's a one time fee. I'm not having it installed by the dealer, but at an independant car audio place.

FYI the only two vehicles I priced that required tracking by the insurer are the CR-V and RAV4. My guess is the MDX and RX would receive similar conditions.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2017
1121 posts
162 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: It is mandatory for my insurer to accept the vehicle. I have 30 days to install it. Several other insurers require it. I have the choice of several devices (Bommerang etc...) I chose the Tag Tracking which uses an autonomous battery that does not parasite of the vehicle battery. It's a one time fee. I'm not having it installed by the dealer, but at an independant car audio place.

FYI the only two vehicles I priced that required tracking by the insurer are the CR-V and RAV4. My guess is the MDX and RX would receive similar conditions.
Interesting info. Thanks.

When I called around for insurance none told me it's needed. So this came up after you got insured or just about when you got quote?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
snowhite445 wrote: Interesting info. Thanks.

When I called around for insurance none told me it's needed. So this came up after you got insured or just about when you got quote?
When I got the quote they informed me right away.

Remember Montreal is a big theft city for cars. It may not be the same for Toronto or Vancouver.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2017
1121 posts
162 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: When I got the quote they informed me right away.

Remember Montreal is a big theft city for cars. It may not be the same for Toronto or Vancouver.
Montreal! You guys pay like $5/month for insurance...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)