Automotive

Dealer reasons for delaying delivery on a vehicle?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2014 10:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2002
1671 posts
155 upvotes

Dealer reasons for delaying delivery on a vehicle?

I signed papers for a '15 Mazda6 a week ago; mid trim, no options except for color. Was told I'd be called the following week with an update on the status of the new vehicle. Didn't hear anything from them. Left a message for the salesman this past Saturday, was not called back.

GSM sent me an e-mail and explained my car was in production and delivery will take "up to 60 days". Okay, the 60 days is probably a worst-case scenario. So I called the salesman a few hours ago and was told that the finance manager takes care of the vehicle search, but lo and behold, the FM's on vacation. Said he'd inquire with the same GSM who e-mailed me this past Saturday. Based on how things have progressed, I'm not expecting to be given any tangible information even if I dog him for updates.

It's only been 7 business days, but the fact that I had to contact them and am no more certain of when I'll get the vehicle strikes me as odd. Obviously, this is an example of bad post-sales service, but it's got me thinking about why a dealer would intentionally delay delivery on a vehicle.

I have read that delivery can take a long time in specific cases, but the 6 is a fairly standard car that's mid-way into the current model year; there shouldn't be any supply issues.

Any thoughts? Not going to name any names just yet, as it's still early and for all I know I could be taking delivery this week (there is zero indication of this, however).
21 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
1535 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
60 days is nothing, I know people that waited 20-30 weeks for the new 15 wrx/sti. If it's not on the lot or coming via train or boat, it's going to take 4-8 weeks.

Didn't you ask if there was actual physical stock or was this build to order? For my case, I got my 14' Forester in 3 days since I physically saw it and wrote down the vin.
Need help on Rogers plans? Don't bother unless you like spending hours with them...
dumping Rogers? hmm...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2002
1671 posts
155 upvotes
FlashEngineer wrote: 60 days is nothing, I know people that waited 20-30 weeks for the new 15 wrx/sti. If it's not on the lot or coming via train or boat, it's going to take 4-8 weeks.

Didn't you ask if there was actual physical stock or was this build to order? For my case, I got my 14' Forester in 3 days since I physically saw it and wrote down the vin.
I didn't even think to ask. I know that the dealer didn't have any on the lot, but I fully expected another GTA dealer to have one. It just never occurred to me that I'd have to wait potentially two months to take delivery of a family sedan, even if it's not a popular model.

Guess I just have to hope for the best.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
246 upvotes
they like to load up a lot of cars on those transport trucks. probably costs them less.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4301 upvotes
Mazda6 isn't really an in-demand car. Sounds like they might be stalling in order to sell it to someone else who is willing to pay full asking price so they earn a bigger profit on your car.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4315 posts
547 upvotes
15 mazda6 started selling 6 months ago. so yea. I would agree with DJ

what's the deadline on your bill of sale?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2002
1671 posts
155 upvotes
nineiron wrote: they like to load up a lot of cars on those transport trucks. probably costs them less.
That makes sense.
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Mazda6 isn't really an in-demand car. Sounds like they might be stalling in order to sell it to someone else who is willing to pay full asking price so they earn a bigger profit on your car.
Nah, they made a good profit on the car; they just gave me more for the trade-in. But you're right, it's not really moving. One and a half years on the market and I think I've seen 3 out in the wild.
mingyang wrote: 15 mazda6 started selling 6 months ago. so yea. I would agree with DJ

what's the deadline on your bill of sale?
There is no reference to a deadline on the bill of sale.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2905 posts
1082 upvotes
I am trying to think reasons for the dealer delaying delivery, and I can't think of any.

The sooner they sell the cars, the better!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
178 upvotes
Western Montreal
They definitely want to get you in the car ASAP.... It is not good business sense to put off delivery. Contrary to some people's comments here, they are selling relatively well as what you get for your $ is way better than Accord, Camry etc.
When we got our Mazda 6 GS back in June, our dealer had to get it from another dealer ~ 300km away. There were only 3 in eastern Canada in our trim - GS Automatic with Luxury in Soul Red.

OP feel free to PM me the details on your specific car purchased (trim level, auto/manual/colour) and where you are at geographically and I can have my contact look at inventory across Canada. He owes me a favour anyhow. If they find something, you can go back to the dealer and tell them you know of a car at location xx and want them to do a dealer trade, ideally using a flatbed ratehr than driving the car to your dealer... If they made an OK margin on your deal, then they should be willing to do this...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2002
1671 posts
155 upvotes
Update: tiggrrrrr75's contact confirmed stock in Ontario and Quebec, so I gave the dealer a call and they confirmed my vehicle's in production at the factory. When I asked about stock in Ontario, they claimed all Ontario inventory for my specific trim and color was spoken for. When I asked if they could flatbed one of the vehicles in Quebec, they said it would be at my cost and it would be ~2 weeks to get here.

Working that out now (I'm not paying a dime extra just to take delivery of my vehicle), waiting for a callback.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1125 posts
206 upvotes
money talks in this town.... someone offers a couple of hundreds more.... you've lost the deal and have to wait.....
for an extra 200$ i've scooped a deal from someone else....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2002
1671 posts
155 upvotes
Nah, it isn't that. There aren't that many Mazda6's in Ontario in that trim/color combination, and they made a pretty good profit off the sale of my vehicle. This is them trying to keep as much of that profit as possible, as the cost of shipping via flatbed will be ~$200-$300.

I've been advised from another party that I can actually cancel the deal at any time before delivery. I'll confirm with OMVIC if I need to go that far, but I'm willing to give these guys a chance first.

Edit: Nope, can't cancel without losing my deposit. Dealer never disclosed delivery terms (only a verbal agreement of ~10 days) and never showed me the additional pages of my contract.

Lesson learned: never sign anything without agreeing on terms of delivery on paper. My fault for being too eager.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6567 posts
2621 upvotes
Canada
I'd wait 2 months for a Ferrari or a Bentley ... but a Mazda 6?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12912 posts
1728 upvotes
Toronto
raspeed wrote: I'd wait 2 months for a Ferrari or a Bentley ... but a Mazda 6?
Mazda vehicles take a very long time to manufacture because they need to wait for the Mazda 3s to come back in order to reuse the metal to create more mazda cars.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6567 posts
2621 upvotes
Canada
Heh, didn't realize you could transmute rust in to something usable again. ;)