Automotive

Dealer would not give me the work sheet?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2016 8:38 am
Tags:
None
Aug 8, 2005
481 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Toolatecrew wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 2:06 am
I always ask for it back .
when I was test driving multiple cars and they asked me if they could copy my licence I said "No but here is a photocopy of it already made you can hang onto it until I return but I'll need it back when i give you the keys back" ;-)

It's not even a specific distrust for car dealers I don't want that info laying around anywhere. It also has an additional advantage of doing just a tiny bit to throw off the sales system that tries to put the sales person in control of the process. No one has photocopiers anymore do they? Are they scanning your licence and keeping a digital copy? Is doing so a convent way to pop into the sales manager's office to tell them you have an up and that you are going on a test drive so he can be prepared to "meet" you before you are allowed to leave.

Maybe it means nothing but I feel better knowing that it shows that I've test driven other cars and that I'm going to be test driving more before I agree to buy anything.
OK maybe this is a stupid question, but why are you giving them a photocopy instead of your actual license? What purpose does this serve?

Not sure why you ask for it back either.. so they don't retain a copy? Can't they just photocopy your photocopy? :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29576 posts
15414 upvotes
Ottawa
BHA1 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 7:29 am
OK maybe this is a stupid question, but why are you giving them a photocopy instead of your actual license? What purpose does this serve?

Not sure why you ask for it back either.. so they don't retain a copy? Can't they just photocopy your photocopy? :)
I don't see the issue nor concern with the dealership keeping customers license info.
Even if they give back the photocopy, they've entered it in their system already.

Afraid of ID theft, worry about the information you disclosed for financing purposes.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17038 posts
3894 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 5:53 am
I do like visiting dealerships when buying.

Invoice + $500 is where I start.
When I went through unhaggle last year, the opening offer from one of the dealers was invoice + $300, via email. This was on a car that retails for somewhere around $28000. I was quite surprised, to say the least. There was also a manufacturer rebate on it that brought the overall price down to well under invoice.
Even when I test drive, I try to go on my/our own but its rare. Only Acura, Subaru and Nissan dealerships allowed it.
I think it probably just depends on the individual dealership. I've been to one Toyota dealership where this was the normal practice, but most others wanted a salesperson in the car with you.

Mind you, for our last car we just bought on spec, so it's easier to negotiate via email or on the phone. Didn't bother test driving it, or looking at the colours in person, although part of it was just because the local dealers just didn't have it in stock.