Dealership Made Car Worse

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 1:38 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2003
629 posts
15 upvotes

Dealership Made Car Worse

I brought my car to the dealership with a check engine light. There was noticeable slowness and weakness with the engine. The service adviser said I needed to pay $150 for diagnosing it, then a few hours later he called back saying that they need to open the engine cover to diagnose it, which was $450. Finally after a few hours, he called back saying the timing chain jumped and might had damaged the valves. He said that they put the engine back together but it won't start. So how is it that I'm able to drive it there and then had to get my car towed back? I feel like I shouldn't be paying for this diagnosing if I'm getting the car back in worse shape than when I left it. Any suggestions?
44 replies
Apr 29, 2017
198 posts
178 upvotes
Invasionmix wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 2:25 pm
I brought my car to the dealership with a check engine light. There was noticeable slowness and weakness with the engine. The service adviser said I needed to pay $150 for diagnosing it, then a few hours later he called back saying that they need to open the engine cover to diagnose it, which was $450. Finally after a few hours, he called back saying the timing chain jumped and might had damaged the valves. He said that they put the engine back together but it won't start. So how is it that I'm able to drive it there and then had to get my car towed back? I feel like I shouldn't be paying for this diagnosing if I'm getting the car back in worse shape than when I left it. Any suggestions?
What did they repair the first time?
If they didn't open the timing cover or do any head work the first time you went in you can't blame them for this, it's just a coincidence the timing chain had jumped shortly after your service.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15785 posts
4688 upvotes
Ottawa
"Might have damanged the valves"...cut your loses and get it towed to a more reptuable shop.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2003
629 posts
15 upvotes
The only reason I went to the dealership was because the car has been serviced there since the beginning and I thought they would know the history of it. If I knew they were gonna open it up and tell me they can't put it back together then I would've went to my normal mechanic.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2003
629 posts
15 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:31 pm
"Might have damanged the valves"...cut your loses and get it towed to a more reptuable shop.
Yeah got it towed to my mechanic and he said he's gonna change the timing chain, tensioner, and do a compression test to see if there's any valve/cylinder damage. The dealership quoted me $6,000-8,000 to rebuild the engine. They also said I needed a new turbo which was fully replaced last year ($3,800). -_-
Feb 17, 2015
571 posts
213 upvotes
Canada
Isnt it the first thing they have to do is use an OBD to get the codes and see where the problem is?
...its all good man... 😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7968 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto
What kind of car is this?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1915 posts
857 upvotes
Montreal
Sounds German.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2003
629 posts
15 upvotes
CuriousJack wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 5:03 pm
Isnt it the first thing they have to do is use an OBD to get the codes and see where the problem is?
You would think so, I had an OBD reader myself and know the two error codes. I had to pay $150 for them to tell me something I already knew. Then they had to open up the engine to get to the timing chain, which was $450.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2003
629 posts
15 upvotes
The messed up thing was that I only had it for a week and the light came on. I bought it through private sale and everything was fine and dandy, brought someone that was familiar with cars with me too and he said it was good. From what I've been reading, it seems like with this generation of A4's, some of them have an old tensioner that can go at anytime, and when it goes, it can do a lot of damage. So when I got the car, it probably was just sheer bad luck when it went.
Dec 22, 2008
729 posts
168 upvotes
Vancouver
ah so you didnt buy the car from the dealer. So they dealer doesnt give a shit
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7968 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto
Dude probably cleared the code when you came to see it.
Invasionmix wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 5:11 pm
The messed up thing was that I only had it for a week and the light came on. I bought it through private sale and everything was fine and dandy, brought someone that was familiar with cars with me too and he said it was good. From what I've been reading, it seems like with this generation of A4's, some of them have an old tensioner that can go at anytime, and when it goes, it can do a lot of damage. So when I got the car, it probably was just sheer bad luck when it went.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11199 posts
1466 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like you got suckered into the car. Classic "clear the code and sell car." My advice: junk the car and buy a new one. Let this be a lesson on buying cars privately.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2157 posts
393 upvotes
Orleans
I would never buy a German car used. Probably would never buy it new either. Maybe lease it and give them the keys at the end of the lease. Wash and repeat. Good luck OP.