Automotive

Dealership Made Car Worse

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 1:38 pm
Dec 10, 2007
280 posts
156 upvotes
Arviat
"Someone familiar with cars said it was good" just doesn't cut it with used cars, not especially with these out of warranty cars with turbo.
Nov 11, 2013
158 posts
113 upvotes
Calgary
A4's of that era had oil consumption and timing chain tensioner problems. Sorry for your luck op, cut your losses and sell the thing.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4409 posts
2753 upvotes
Montreal
Invasionmix wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 5:11 pm
The messed up thing was that I only had it for a week and the light came on. I bought it through private sale and everything was fine and dandy, brought someone that was familiar with cars with me too and he said it was good. From what I've been reading, it seems like with this generation of A4's, some of them have an old tensioner that can go at anytime, and when it goes, it can do a lot of damage. So when I got the car, it probably was just sheer bad luck when it went.

You've been had my friend. Not a coincidence a catastrophic failure happens days after you take possession. As others have posted, the code was cleared and the car was sold. I would contact the previous owner and have a chat, start asking questions and tell him what your costs are going to be. If no compensation is offered, I would file a suit in small claims court immediately. You have a perfect definition of a vice cache.

To add, always take these types of cars with proprietary tech (all German cars) to the dealer for pre-purchase inspections and not just any mechanic or someone 'who knows cars..'
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7515 posts
1296 upvotes
This sucks. carcomplaints has almost no issues reported.

Also, OP might be SOL. A long long time ago, I did buy a second hand car and I did took to court the seller. Judge said too bad so sad, sales on used cars are final and I should've done my due diligence. I just ended being a teen at that time and luckily I only paid $1500 for the car, so I took it as a learning experience (and since then bought the 2 cars I have brand new and plan to keep them until the end, that way I know the entire history since inception). But maybe OP will get a better judge, who knows.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3786 posts
193 upvotes
Calgary
Sounds like OP got taken good.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Oct 2, 2013
795 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
Invasionmix wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 5:09 pm
You would think so, I had an OBD reader myself and know the two error codes. I had to pay $150 for them to tell me something I already knew. Then they had to open up the engine to get to the timing chain, which was $450.
Usually I fix stuff myself, but when I can't -> dealership.

Next time, if the code is clear and you know what is wrong 100%, ask the part to be replaced and no need for diagnostic. Saved me 120$ last time.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40979 posts
9901 upvotes
Invasionmix wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:57 pm
The only reason I went to the dealership was because the car has been serviced there since the beginning and I thought they would know the history of it. If I knew they were gonna open it up and tell me they can't put it back together then I would've went to my normal mechanic.
Invasionmix wrote:
The messed up thing was that I only had it for a week and the light came on. I bought it through private sale and everything was fine and dandy, brought someone that was familiar with cars with me too and he said it was good. From what I've been reading, it seems like with this generation of A4's, some of them have an old tensioner that can go at anytime, and when it goes, it can do a lot of damage. So when I got the car, it probably was just sheer bad luck when it went.
So you had used this dealership to service another car? Did you raise your concern with Audi Canada? I would always ask the dealership for estimate and to hold off on any work until I get the worst, mid and best case scenario.

Now that your mechanic is fixing it for $4k, why is everyone recommending you sell the car?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19080 posts
2661 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Invasionmix wrote:
Change title of thread to "I Got Scammed Through A Private Sale".
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40979 posts
9901 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 3:48 pm
Change title of thread to "I Got Scammed Through A Private Sale".
Don't german car makers offer extended warranties on nonCPO car? I know Honda does but with Toyota, it will be an inferior extended warranty.

Whoops. 2012 is way past four years but still would like to find out if we can buy extended warranties on these euros before the four years are up.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2003
629 posts
15 upvotes
So what the Audi dealership quoted me and charged me for was: $450 for diagnosing, $6-8 to repair the engine, and $3700 to replace the turbo. I only paid for the diagnosing.

Brought it to my mechanic and he fixed the timing chain and tensioner for $1600 flat. Useless dealership -_-
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40979 posts
9901 upvotes
$2k outlay is quite reasonable. Didn't know this audi dealership could gouge so much.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7981 posts
2824 upvotes
Toronto
Did Op came from a Beige Corolla to owning a Audi but expecting to pay Toyota's dealership service prices?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 16, 2014
792 posts
403 upvotes
Easter Island
Budget ballin is a dangerous game, OP learned it the hard way