• Mar 22nd, 2011 8:57 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5796 posts
419 upvotes

Dealership quote for timing belt service on '02 Mazda Protege

These are quotes my brother got for his '02 Mazda Protege ES. This is the first major servicing of anything on the vehicle besides the regular oil changes and brakes. Car has 100k exactly. Are these quotes about right for the dealership?

Service Charge Parts or Labor
Transmission fluid change $79.95 P + L
Timing belt change $396.42 P + L
Water pump change $208.00 L
Gasket $12.00 P
Coolant $21.00 P
Water pump change $95.00 P
Total before taxes
$812.37

The intention is to change both the timing belt and water pump at the same time as is customary by those who wish to save on labour, as the prerequisite parts removed for changing the timing belt also allow access to the water pump yet they gave separate quotes for changing each component but not an option for changing both.

I am concerned about that $208 quote of labour alone for changing the water pump and I am hoping if the timing belt and water pump is done at the same time that the full $208 would not be applied as in the case where the water pump alone was to be done.

Everything else seems reasonable.

Last year he tried to get the coolant changed but they would not do it as there was leak in the radiator and they said he had to change the radiator first. He left it as it is and added a Bars Leak and the radiator has not leaked since so just wondering if a flush is also necessary since this is the first coolant change in like 2 years.

Transmission fluid was not drained at 50k and most people do not recommend a flush because of the resulting problems it causes so hope the drain and refill is sufficient.

Wondering if to get other quotes from places like Big Japanese who does work at cheaper labour costs.

My friend says his mechanic charges cheap and can get OEM parts at discounted rates but he needs to keep the car for a whole day. He hasn't given me quote except to say he is cheaper than the dealership.

What services are better done by the dealership and which ones can i risk with non dealership personnel?

Thank yYou and all help/comments appreciated.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9266 posts
657 upvotes
Brampton
Sounds right for the dealer. I hope your doing it at Newmarket Mazda. Its the only one I would trust doing the timing belt. I have to do my belt too and I am way past due (135K). Some people say do the water pump too, and I am one of those believers.

If you want to save money, but the parts off ebay and get a trustworthy mechanic to do the install. Let me know how it goes!!
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0.
Ebay Feedback 199 and counting.
RFD Feedback 41-0-0 and counting.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
5994 posts
151 upvotes
Markham
I did mine in a Private garage for around 500ish.....unless you are the typical people that only trust dealers, or else try to get a garage to do it to save some bucks.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3179 posts
198 upvotes
West Side GTA
you might want to add the fact that he'll check your tensioners as well, and often tensioners and idler pulleys and such may be found to be *broken/worn out* as in my case. my tensioner pully was worn out.

But the timing belt in all honesty go down and buy it from NAPA autoparts or something and it's much cheaper and just give all the parts to the dealershipt o install.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24545 posts
2322 upvotes
Ottawa
I think that the water pump labour charge is excessive. The charge is about 2.5 hours and that is what it wold be if you went in for the pump alone. Access to the pump is already there as you have removed almost all hindrances for the timing belt. That is why they suggest you do the both at the same time. In conjunction with the timing belt, the labour should be only about 1 hour, if that.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
1529 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
3 years ago when i went to a DaveWood Mazda @ newmarket (40min) drive for me,
i did their 96k service on my Protege 5, bascially what OP listed, but i didn't do
a waterpump replacement (cuz i was tight in cash back then) and i supplied
an aftermarket timing belt, w/ the toronto protege club discount,
i paid $430 or $460 tax-in for the service... call dealerships again,
mention you are from the toronto protege club, you might get another price.

good luck!

gh05t wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 9:58 pm
Water pump change $208.00 L

I think $208 for labour is ridiculous IMO, can't they change the water pump while doin' the timing belt replacement? since OP is already charged on labour for timing belt replacement..

please advise~
Jul 13, 2006
888 posts
20 upvotes
I've done two timing belt / WP changes on two separate Protege5's in the past year. Both of them were really straightforward, and the WP takes about 5-10 minutes extra above the timing belt change, that's it. They are charging you 2 full hours for the water pump, which is absolutely excessive. Bring this up with them and mention that you want it done at the same time but are not paying more than 1/2hr of extra labour above the T-belt replacement. If they don't agree, take it elsewhere, they are gouging you.

Aftermarket parts are cheaper (especially the water pump) and of similar or comparable quality, so you might be best to take it to a non-dealership mechanic with aftermarket parts from a local parts place, and have them do it.

Flushing the coolant isn't required, just drain and fill. The transmission fluid change isn't too pricey from the dealer but a private mechanic would be cheaper as well.

Overall the job itself isn't too difficult, so any decent mechanic could probably do it in 3-5 hours. Leaving it there for one full day isn't unreasonable in my mind.
Nov 15, 2005
144 posts
3 upvotes
I got all that done at a private garage for just under $400.
Usually when they change timebelts, they also change the waterpump, because you have to take out the same parts to get to the timebelt/waterpump. So it's always better to get it done together.
The price is excessive.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5668 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
wolverineTO wrote:
Apr 8th, 2009 10:39 am
I got all that done at a private garage for just under $400.
Usually when they change timebelts, they also change the waterpump, because you have to take out the same parts to get to the timebelt/waterpump. So it's always better to get it done together.
The price is excessive.
Did they use Mazda OEM parts in that price??? Price alone for OEM parts is approx $329.

sk
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5796 posts
419 upvotes
Thank you all for your very helpful feedback on this matter. Very good advise as usual from the experienced and knowledgeable members here at RFD.

I'll let my brother know to join ToProtege too. I think you need to register now to access the forums but I remember members talking about dealerships that gave ToProtege members discounts.

Thanks again RFD and hope this thread helps many others.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1648 posts
22 upvotes
York
Head to Toprotege.com. It's where its at. Join the club, become a member then boom you get 17% off parts and service at dealerships like Dave Wood Mazda in Newmarket. I live in Milton and make the drive there whenever I need my P5 serviced. It's worth the drive! Hope to see you and your bro in the club soon.

Follow this link to register: http://www.toprotege.com/forums/index.p ... rerid=3778
[Intel i7 2700K @ 4.7GHz with Corsair H100 | ASUS P8P67 PRO | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | ASUS GTX560 TI DirectCUII 1GB TOP | Intel 330 240GB SSD | 1TB WD Black | 3TB Seagate | Samsung DVDRW | Seasonic M12D 750W | Corsair 500R White | 2 x Samsung T220HD]
Sep 18, 2008
316 posts
20 upvotes
Woodbridge
guys i am in process of buying 03 mazda peotege with 134 K and timing belt was never changed. i think i will do it right after a buy it. and plus brakes neds to be changed

suggest a place to do it as cheap and quality as possible and please with quote ...
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
erexa wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 10:14 am
guys i am in process of buying 03 mazda peotege with 134 K and timing belt was never changed. i think i will do it right after a buy it. and plus brakes neds to be changed

suggest a place to do it as cheap and quality as possible and please with quote ...

2 yr old post AND you are a true RFD'er, cheap and high quality.
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
× < >