[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2418 posts
342 upvotes
Ottawa

***** dealership in ******** service experience

hi guys,
knowing power of the internet, i thought to post it here.
i won't reveal dealership name just yet, but here is the story.

i took my car yesterday to a regular oil change to "my" dealership. i service both my cars there for last couple of years.
usualy an oil change takes about half hour, right? i had to wait for a bit over one hour from the time my car was taken in.
when time came to pay i mentioned that it was longer than usual wait, but it was left with no comment by service manager who processed the payment.

this morning i drove to work and between client, noticed some strange (unusual) sound. Wouldn't call it noise, but sound that definately was not there day before.
i know my car, i love it and take care of it mechanically, so i know it's a new thing to it.
i emailed service department at the dealership and cc'ed dealership principal explaining what happened and asking for explanation.
so far, havent heard from them yet.

in good faith, i beleive they are investigating it and will get back to me tomorrow.
but if not, i would like to hear your advise as well as give you warning about servicing your car there...
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
9 replies
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
540 upvotes
before you start pointing finger, investigate and see what is causing the noise. could be a coincidence
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2418 posts
342 upvotes
Ottawa
packardbell wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 11:17 pm
before you start pointing finger, investigate and see what is causing the noise. could be a coincidence
could be. i am removing make and model for now.
a friend suggested they might broke screws on engine splash shield.
also, checked oil level and found it to be way above the max mark (car was still for 3 hours)
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2877 posts
210 upvotes
golden_m wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 11:29 pm
also, checked oil level and found it to be way above the max mark (car was still for 3 hours)
Hmm i've always checked the engine oil level with the car hot and after about 2-3 minutes of turning it off. Just make sure the car is parked on flat/level ground.
Why don't you get a cloth, put it on the ground and use it as a means to not dirty yourself and take a peek under the car for any things that seem loose. Go ahead and give some shaking to the splash shield if you want...maybe use a flashlight and look for any out of ordinary things.

As for engine splash shield...unless its hanging on the floor i do not think its going to make any noise on you. Its just a rubber mat/shield underneath.
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7688 posts
775 upvotes
North York
golden_m wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 11:14 pm
hi guys,
knowing power of the internet, i thought to post it here.
i won't reveal dealership name just yet, but here is the story.

i took my car yesterday to a regular oil change to "my" dealership. i service both my cars there for last couple of years.
usualy an oil change takes about half hour, right? i had to wait for a bit over one hour from the time my car was taken in.
when time came to pay i mentioned that it was longer than usual wait, but it was left with no comment by service manager who processed the payment.

this morning i drove to work and between client, noticed some strange (unusual) sound. Wouldn't call it noise, but sound that definately was not there day before.
i know my car, i love it and take care of it mechanically, so i know it's a new thing to it.
i emailed service department at the dealership and cc'ed dealership principal explaining what happened and asking for explanation.
so far, havent heard from them yet.

in good faith, i beleive they are investigating it and will get back to me tomorrow.
but if not, i would like to hear your advise as well as give you warning about servicing your car there...
This is more of a twitter post rather than a RFD post. Most RFD posters only post when there is a serious complaint.

But a noise after the car is serviced? Seem to jumping the gun.

Also, what kind of car is it? A Mercedes Benz E-class or above? (I'd only expect no change in car noises at that level of car and above.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2418 posts
342 upvotes
Ottawa
001Stunna wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:09 am
Hmm i've always checked the engine oil level with the car hot and after about 2-3 minutes of turning it off. Just make sure the car is parked on flat/level ground.
Why don't you get a cloth, put it on the ground and use it as a means to not dirty yourself and take a peek under the car for any things that seem loose. Go ahead and give some shaking to the splash shield if you want...maybe use a flashlight and look for any out of ordinary things.

As for engine splash shield...unless its hanging on the floor i do not think its going to make any noise on you. Its just a rubber mat/shield underneath.
i will be looking at it tomorrow.
however, if engine splash shield is not attached properly (or broken) it will make specific noise, especially on higer speed. that's what i think i am experiencing.

anyways, i am very interested in seeing how dealership will handle this. Don't like that the car was there for that long only for changing oil.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
Jumping the gun much? Why wouldn't you wait for things to play out in which you may exhaust other options before you begin mounting a PR strike against a company?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2418 posts
342 upvotes
Ottawa
sunny87 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:22 am
Jumping the gun much? Why wouldn't you wait for things to play out in which you may exhaust other options before you begin mounting a PR strike against a company?
not starting the fight yet.
however, we have thousands of users here, who could help with advise.
i accept what you just said as one of these.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
540 upvotes
golden_m wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:27 am
not starting the fight yet.
however, we have thousands of users here, who could help with advise.
i accept what you just said as one of these.
for your matrix it could the belly shield as you need to remove it to get the filter
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
golden_m wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 11:29 pm
This significantly ' overfilling ' of oil appears to be a very common problem when you either have inexperienced, lazy or rushed staff - or those paid on the basis of the # of oil changes they do ;) - doing oil changes.

No excuse for it IMO.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!