Personal Finance

dealing with the ombudsman - any success stories?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2017 10:26 am
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
331 posts
79 upvotes
VANCOUVER

dealing with the ombudsman - any success stories?

I'm not going this route yet (hopefully won't have to) but it seems that the ombudsman tends to rule in favour of the banks. No surprise as it's the bank's ombudsman and I think it's a bunch of BS that they're impartial.
But curious if anyone has had a ruling in his/her favour.
6 replies
Jul 28, 2012
961 posts
355 upvotes
Montreal
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 10:02 pm
This type of decision may be confidential so I'm not sure someone could safely say "I had a ruling in my favour".

This being said, yes, the ombudsman's office sometimes rules in favour of the client. Some case studies: http://www.rbc.com/ombudsman/
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4824 posts
3989 upvotes
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 10:02 pm
I'm not going this route yet (hopefully won't have to) but it seems that the ombudsman tends to rule in favour of the banks. No surprise as it's the bank's ombudsman and I think it's a bunch of BS that they're impartial.
What's the issue?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2534 posts
1853 upvotes
If you don't need the credit and are planning to leave anyway, I would suggest that you do just that. Find another bank and apply for a LOC there.

Twenty plus years ago I had to escalate an issue with CIBC to its ombudsman. It was resolved in my favour. It took a lot of time. a lot of letter writing and a lot of note taking on my part, yet it was worth it as I was negatively affected by the issue and it was important to get it resolved. In your case, it doesn't appear that you are negatively affected and are pursuing this on principle. You have lots of other options - time to move on.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
331 posts
79 upvotes
VANCOUVER
skeet50 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 8:53 am
If you don't need the credit and are planning to leave anyway, I would suggest that you do just that. Find another bank and apply for a LOC there.

Twenty plus years ago I had to escalate an issue with CIBC to its ombudsman. It was resolved in my favour. It took a lot of time. a lot of letter writing and a lot of note taking on my part, yet it was worth it as I was negatively affected by the issue and it was important to get it resolved. In your case, it doesn't appear that you are negatively affected and are pursuing this on principle. You have lots of other options - time to move on.
Thanks for your reply. As I figured, going to the ombudsman would take a long time and lots of documentation of course.
I'm glad your issue was resolved in your favour.
Yeah, this departure has been some time coming and this latest incident is another reason.
Thanks!