Home & Garden

dealing with people parking on lawn

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 4:27 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
3 posts

dealing with people parking on lawn

my side of the street has no curb or sidewalk and my lawn extends right out to the street.

the issue i am having is people (frankly, it's guests of one neighbour) parking with two wheels on my grass and tearing it up. i've no issue with people parking in front of my home but tearing up the grass that i have to maintain is a different story.

so, i am looking for suggestions. i've thought about bringing in a giant boulder and placing it at the edge but having it too close to the road would propably result in me getting charged with something if someone were to lose control on the road and smash into it.
11 replies
Mar 18, 2015
130 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Maybe call parking enforcement when you see a car there that's on your lawn.
You can also talk to your neighbors about it.
Taking some pictures would be good as well in case things turn bad, you can go to court for damages.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3717 posts
706 upvotes
Sask.
Talk to them first, calmly.
Aug 4, 2006
244 posts
54 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
Talking won't solve the problem when others use your lawn as a parking spot. You're only answer is to install something like those rocks. It doesn't have to be large ... but just large enough to discourage the selfish drivers Sadly there are too many people like this.
Nov 18, 2013
129 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
We are having the exact same problem and we just put in a new lawn two years ago! We're going to install some stakes across the front of the lawn so people can't drive on it. It's a common issue in our neighbourhood and a lot of people have done the same.
Oct 14, 2010
693 posts
245 upvotes
I don't know where you live, but in most municipalities the City owns the property closest to the street.

In most Cities where a sidewalk is installed, it is easy to see the City owned property (i.e. "The Boulevard"). In my yard the City actually owns about 1/2 meter on my side of the sidewalk as well. Even though you don't have an obvious "boulevard" it's almost certain that the city owns several meters of property adjacent to the road.

Now having said that, I also maintain the city boulevard in front of my house, because it affects the look of my home. I would also be upset if someone was damaging the grass on the boulevard that I spend money on to maintain.

This recent thread explains the law a little better.

I think if you approach the driver of the car it may start a confrontation, and if the driver knows that the property doesn't belong to you, he may just remind you to go and #%$^&.

If you place any barricades on the grass, then the city may remove them, or fine you for placing things on their property.

I think the best approach is to call the city/town and tell them that THEIR property is being damaged and you expect them to do something about it because you are a taxpayer and the damage is affecting your enjoyment of your home and also affecting the resale value of your home because it looks unkempt.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6014 posts
1027 upvotes
Most municipalities have bylaws that prohibit parking on grass or any unsurfaced area. As stated above, the area is probably owned by the city.
Nov 17, 2012
749 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Lower the grade of the lawn right up to the roadway by about 12 inches. Next time they park off the road, they'll be there a while.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6273 posts
828 upvotes
Pretty sure they are breaking bylaws and if they are on your property then is your right to call the city to have it removed. However, try leaving a note if you don't want to talk first and basically indicate, they are not allowed to park there (Refer bylaw #) and if it happens again, you will contact the city to have the car removed and there will likely be fee/fines to be paid.

That should get their attention and stop this for good.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1394 posts
244 upvotes
Windsor
Find some rebar, drive them into the ground @ the edge of the grass, sharpen them with an angle grinder.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35842 posts
1998 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:47 am
What neighbourhoods are these? Why do they need to park half their car on the lawn and not just parallel park? :S
I've seen it out west... sometimes out in the country side in Ontario. But I think its a problem out west because they have that rural style lawn/road way despite dense population. I saw it in Burnaby.

ITs kinda like those areas where there is no sidewalk... and really long boulevard. It makes street parking somewhat awkward.

I would talk to them calmly first. If nothing is done... Just keep an eye out and call parking by-law enforcement. Hopefully a ticket will deter them.

If not... You can steal their car and take it to an abandoned hay field. After that you and 2 buddies start pounding on it with baseball bats.
Just kidding... But you would like that wouldn't you? :lol: