Dealing with Show Offs

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2017 9:11 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
WebDesign wrote: That is clearly their intention. They wish to seem more successful than they are. They are pretending. I find that offensive.
Without being aware of the circumstances one got the clothing it's impossible to say. If say I was a student at a prestigious University and got a bunch of clothing from them, but then for whatever reason I didn't complete my degree there, am I supposed to throw out some perfectly good stuff?

I'm not fond of the idea of "posers" either but like it or not, people have been passing off as things they aren't for centuries this is nothing new...I'm not sure why you're offended by it. The way others spend their money is their own thing, whether they want to use it to "pose" or otherwise.
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
This has nothing to do with the university. It's like Armani Jeans with Armani Exchange. Or Swiss Army and Swiss Navy.
uber_shnitz wrote: Without being aware of the circumstances one got the clothing it's impossible to say. If say I was a student at a prestigious University and got a bunch of clothing from them, but then for whatever reason I didn't complete my degree there, am I supposed to throw out some perfectly good stuff?

I'm not fond of the idea of "posers" either but like it or not, people have been passing off as things they aren't for centuries this is nothing new...I'm not sure why you're offended by it. The way others spend their money is their own thing, whether they want to use it to "pose" or otherwise.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3638 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
Young padawan...when you get older, you'll soon realize that material possessions do not guarantee a life of happiness--it's a temporary one.
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
mebiuspower wrote: Yeah. OP sounds like he's 15 or something.
I am just asking what cheapos on RFD do about keeping up with the Jones. So far it seems that opinions are split. Some care some don't.
I do not see why I should appear 15, although thank you. Clearly many people here are concerned with brand and appearances in relation to others. It's human nature.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
blindemboss wrote: Young padawan...when you get older, you'll soon realize that material possessions do not guarantee a life of happiness--it's a temporary one.
What a lame-azz Star Wars reference. Maybe ur the 15 yr old.
Mar 14, 2017
41 posts
10 upvotes
WebDesign wrote: How do you deal with these people, do you try to keep up with the Jones or screw it?
I think you either care, or you don't care.

Best not to care, and just move on. :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
WebDesign wrote: I am just asking what cheapos on RFD do about keeping up with the Jones. So far it seems that opinions are split. Some care some don't.
I do not see why I should appear 15, although thank you. Clearly many people here are concerned with brand and appearances in relation to others. It's human nature.
Maybe you live in a sheltered life but I know a lot of wealthy people and some don't even show their wealth.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Some people care a lot about image, some care less. As a result, some will want to show off any wealth they have and others less so. I mean, you can't deny that Mark Zuckerberg (and to an extent Bill Gates) isn't the spitting image of one of the world's top 10 richest people on the planet. However, there's plenty of people who are as well it just depends on your priorities.

I think a large part of it will also be dictated by where you're coming from and how you were raised.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
If society looked up to humble wealthy people like warren buffet and stuck braindead morons like Kim Kardashian on a deserted island somewhere, the world would be a much better place.

But people like trashy gossip. And so the cycle of douchebaggery continues....
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
nasa25 wrote: If society looked up to humble wealthy people like warren buffet and stuck braindead morons like Kim Kardashian on a deserted island somewhere, the world would be a much better place.

But people like trashy gossip. And so the cycle of douchebaggery continues....
kim is a hero. she's brave for surviving paris. shes a successful businesswoman. your jus jelous. come fite me bro.
:confused:
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Can't fite dawg. Too dainty.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3142 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting article: Article
Interestingly, we demonstrate that the feeling which motivates a desire for luxury purchases (accomplishment, or what is termed “authentic pride”) is very different from the feeling that one derives from displaying those same products (snobbery, or what is called “hubristic pride”). In other words, the same emotion (pride) operates in two different ways. These findings shed new light on why consumers purchase luxury brands, highlighting a paradox: these purchases are sought out of heightened feelings of accomplishment (and not arrogance), but they instead signal arrogance to others (rather than accomplishment). Further, we show that these effects are generally more pronounced for those low in narcissism.

These conclusions were based on the results of seven experiments. In some, participants were asked to recall a luxury brand or a non-luxury brand they own, and we assessed how much of each facet of pride they felt. Those who recalled luxury goods felt snobbier (hubristic pride), but not more accomplished (authentic pride), showing the former facet of pride stems from luxury consumption. Another version of the study had other people rate a luxury brand user (or a non-luxury one). People judged the luxury brand consumer as more snobbish, but not more accomplished.

However, in other studies, we gave participants a task designed to make them feel authentic or hubristic pride, or a control task. We then assessed their desire to purchase luxury and non-luxury branded items. This time, those who felt accomplished had a higher desire to purchase luxury goods than those who felt hubristic pride, suggesting that feelings of accomplishment are a stronger motivator of luxury consumption than feeling snobbish. In another variant, we measured how accomplished and snobbish participants chronically felt; higher levels of accomplishment were associated with a higher desire for luxury goods.
So to the OP, maybe people are just buying luxury items for themselves, to feel accomplished. But to you, they appear to be "showing off".
Nov 25, 2009
795 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver
WebDesign wrote: I would be OK with this.
Where can I get one? This is a funny tshirt
Sep 23, 2006
674 posts
829 upvotes
To OP, are you one of the people that complain when people post good sale on $5000 watch (price goes from 5K to 4K for example)? If so, there is no point of trying to explain things, as you wont get them. Seeing how you think that only people that went to Harvard should wear Harvard apparel, I may know the answer to my question above.

Things that i buy, I buy because i like them, not to impress someone. Just because I have a $4K watch, doesnt mean I am rich. It means that I like finer things in life, and dont mind spending money on it. How you take it, well, that is up to you.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
cvrle1 wrote: To OP, are you one of the people that complain when people post good sale on $5000 watch (price goes from 5K to 4K for example)? If so, there is no point of trying to explain things, as you wont get them. Seeing how you think that only people that went to Harvard should wear Harvard apparel, I may know the answer to my question above.

Things that i buy, I buy because i like them, not to impress someone. Just because I have a $4K watch, doesnt mean I am rich. It means that I like finer things in life, and dont mind spending money on it. How you take it, well, that is up to you.
^ This is why I like hipsters.
Sep 23, 2006
674 posts
829 upvotes
Becks wrote: ^ This is why I like hipsters.
If there is one thing I am not, that is a hipster. Couldnt be further from them really. I dont live in gentrifying neighborhood, I dont listen to indie music, my clothes are definitely not from thrift stores, I dont care about eating gluten free and sure as shit dont have a beard.