Dealing with Show Offs

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2017 10:53 am
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1100 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
Young padawan...when you get older, you'll soon realize that material possessions do not guarantee a life of happiness--it's a temporary one.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
mebiuspower wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:19 pm
Yeah. OP sounds like he's 15 or something.
I am just asking what cheapos on RFD do about keeping up with the Jones. So far it seems that opinions are split. Some care some don't.
I do not see why I should appear 15, although thank you. Clearly many people here are concerned with brand and appearances in relation to others. It's human nature.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10196 posts
1307 upvotes
City of Vancouver
blindemboss wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:39 pm
Young padawan...when you get older, you'll soon realize that material possessions do not guarantee a life of happiness--it's a temporary one.
What a lame-azz Star Wars reference. Maybe ur the 15 yr old.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Mar 14, 2017
34 posts
6 upvotes
WebDesign wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 7:37 am
How do you deal with these people, do you try to keep up with the Jones or screw it?
I think you either care, or you don't care.

Best not to care, and just move on. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4106 posts
419 upvotes
WebDesign wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:39 pm
I am just asking what cheapos on RFD do about keeping up with the Jones. So far it seems that opinions are split. Some care some don't.
I do not see why I should appear 15, although thank you. Clearly many people here are concerned with brand and appearances in relation to others. It's human nature.
Maybe you live in a sheltered life but I know a lot of wealthy people and some don't even show their wealth.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7591 posts
656 upvotes
Some people care a lot about image, some care less. As a result, some will want to show off any wealth they have and others less so. I mean, you can't deny that Mark Zuckerberg (and to an extent Bill Gates) isn't the spitting image of one of the world's top 10 richest people on the planet. However, there's plenty of people who are as well it just depends on your priorities.

I think a large part of it will also be dictated by where you're coming from and how you were raised.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel