Black Friday & Cyber Monday Discussion 2019

Are deals generally better over Black Friday, Cyber Monday or Boxing Day?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 6:53 pm
Nov 11, 2015
76 posts
46 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Boxing day is definitely best for clothing though. I get a pair of shoes every boxing day.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17460 posts
5397 upvotes
Toronto
In previous years, Black Friday deals have been better. Most deals are recycled during Boxing Day sometimes with higher pricing.
Feb 28, 2012
207 posts
79 upvotes
Vaughan
I feel like Black Friday was a bit of a let down this year but the numbers will dictate. If they didn't do so well, we might see some good Cyber Monday deals.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6132 posts
1682 upvotes
Markham
What you missed is the best

What you are having is the worst

Common mindset
Oct 24, 2007
813 posts
56 upvotes
BC
The shopping trend is changing. The fact is Canadians strongly prefer to do their purchasing before Christmas, not after. I have a feeling Boxing Day will become much of an afterthought and its popularity will only lessen with time.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3118 posts
1640 upvotes
Burlington
The true deals are the experiences we have together on RFD. They are truly priceless.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1248 posts
1977 upvotes
Toronto
Cyber Monday as usual comes and goes without most people noticing. Many places just make their Black Friday sales start Thur and end Monday now. And on Monday change the banner from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. I knew not to get my hopes up today for something, but didn't realize there would be nothing...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25516 posts
5743 upvotes
Siye wrote: The shopping trend is changing. The fact is Canadians strongly prefer to do their purchasing before Christmas, not after. I have a feeling Boxing Day will become much of an afterthought and its popularity will only lessen with time.
It's also about competition. On BF Canadian retailers don't only have to compete with each other but also with US retailers--gotta keep pricing good so people don't buy across the border. However on BD, there's no such sales in the US to compete with, therefore they can charge higher prices even though they are still competing with one another. I mean no one is going to buy stuff from UK (who also has BD) given UK pricing on things is already sky high compared to over here lol.

I think everyone prefers to do the shopping before Christmas anyway, whether Canadians or Americans. Better to buy Christmas presents for ppl on the cheap rather than see the things you spent big bucks on to give to people, get cheaper the day after you gave them :lol:

Canadian retailers originally adopted BF during the period where US and Can dollars were close to par. However since they they've basically had to keep doing it as it's expected and it's still a great way to make money and drive the market--as the name implies, get into the black :)
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
the reason BD will probably continue is the crazy amount of customers that go out is only half of it. if customers stopped going out for BF, it'll die. but if customers lose interest in BD, stores will still have a reason to try and boost sales during that time of the year.

boxing day deals started because, i mean let's be honest, who would be shopping right after xmas (of the people who celebrate it). if you have stock, no customers, and new products about to be released. whenever retailers want to sell something more than consumers want to buy it, there will be deals.

BF on the other hand, is the perfect time for consumers. The deals won't be as amazing because the retailers don't have as much pressure to sell, only the pressure from other retailers having sales. Don't get me wrong, i'm glad BF became a thing up here too. It's fantastic to have a sale before xmas, but i suspect we will not see the kind of deals up here that you used to see in the glory days of boxing day.

as for the US competition, that will depend more on the economy than sales. I've been eyeing up a new dslr for about 6months, and settled in on the canon 90d. MSRP has been 1499.99 since the day it was released. I was not expecting much, as it's not a high volume product that typically would go on sale, but it did drop 50bux. In the states, it's been selling for around $1200, which after conversion is actually more expensive before even considering shipping, or possible duties, etc.