• Oct 29th, 2017 8:36 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3253 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 1:03 am
mine's a flagship body from 2 years ago but most of the tech has trickled down into the mid-range stuff as of last year (IBIS, backlit sensor, hundreds of phase-detection AF points)
This is an important point and I think it holds pretty much universally in the digital photography world -- new "amateur" gear provides image quality and performance similar to "pro" gear of only 1-2 years before, even though some of the "bells and whistles" may be missing.

For the OP, this means that an inexpensive second-hand 2014 or 2015-era "amateur" or "prosumer" level DSLR or mirrorless system will provide excellent image quality that rivals what "pros" were using 4-5 years ago. It's a brave and fun new world for photography hobbyists.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8248 posts
621 upvotes
Toronto
JHW wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 10:18 am
This is an important point and I think it holds pretty much universally in the digital photography world -- new "amateur" gear provides image quality and performance similar to "pro" gear of only 1-2 years before, even though some of the "bells and whistles" may be missing.

For the OP, this means that an inexpensive second-hand 2014 or 2015-era "amateur" or "prosumer" level DSLR or mirrorless system will provide excellent image quality that rivals what "pros" were using 4-5 years ago. It's a brave and fun new world for photography hobbyists.
See, a lot of people say just use your phone. How would a used camera stand up (when used properly) to an iPhone 7 camera? I'm guessing it would destroy the iPhone 7, again, when used correctly.

As for cameras to look into (used) do you have any suggestions?
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8206 posts
2388 upvotes
Richmond Hill
XtremeModder wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 10:22 am
See, a lot of people say just use your phone. How would a used camera stand up (when used properly) to an iPhone 7 camera? I'm guessing it would destroy the iPhone 7, again, when used correctly.

As for cameras to look into (used) do you have any suggestions?
There's no comparison between a SLR vs. camera phone PERIOD.

That said I bring 2 cameras on vacations. My SLR (Canon 5D mkiv, 24-70 F2.8L mkii, 50 1.4, 70-200 F4L) and a Nikon 1 AW1 with a 50mm equivalent prime lens for my underwater needs and when I want something more compact to lug around. I rarely use my 7+ to take pics unless outdoors, it just plain sucks indoors and capturing memories is very important to me and I don't want them looking like shit.
Yes it's a lot of gear to lug around, but without the SLR I would miss out on so many shots and I've gone as compact as I can with it as most of the time I just take the body+24-70 as opposed to the camera bag.

It all comes down to what you are looking for and what you are willing to settle for. Just keep in mind a camera is only good if it's with you lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
there's so many different factors in the phone v. camera comparison

as someone said, are you going to leave it in auto? are you posting in solely on social media? will you be shooting in low light situations? do you need the zoom reach? will you be buying more lenses? will you be learning how to post process the images?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8248 posts
621 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 12:02 pm
There's no comparison between a SLR vs. camera phone PERIOD.

That said I bring 2 cameras on vacations. My SLR (Canon 5D mkiv, 24-70 F2.8L mkii, 50 1.4, 70-200 F4L) and a Nikon 1 AW1 with a 50mm equivalent prime lens for my underwater needs and when I want something more compact to lug around. I rarely use my 7+ to take pics unless outdoors, it just plain sucks indoors and capturing memories is very important to me and I don't want them looking like shit.
Yes it's a lot of gear to lug around, but without the SLR I would miss out on so many shots and I've gone as compact as I can with it as most of the time I just take the body+24-70 as opposed to the camera bag.

It all comes down to what you are looking for and what you are willing to settle for. Just keep in mind a camera is only good if it's with you lol.
How would a Nikon 1 J1 with its kit lens (10-30mm) and the prime 18mm lens do? Kind of got a deal pending via the BST section on that. I used to have a J1 and it was pretty good, but no longer have it for reasons out of my control
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8206 posts
2388 upvotes
Richmond Hill
XtremeModder wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 2:16 pm
How would a Nikon 1 J1 with its kit lens (10-30mm) and the prime 18mm lens do? Kind of got a deal pending via the BST section on that. I used to have a J1 and it was pretty good, but no longer have it for reasons out of my control
It's a good combo. The 18mm is more usable indoors with the larger aperture.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6745 posts
970 upvotes
Just checked the same CIPA source, latest numbers from the "Non-Reflect" catalogue in 2017, isn't flat lining the way it was in previous years, however.

Ie. July chart shows they are already tracking at ~160% production & worldwide shipment compared to "same period a year ago". Anyway, hope the numbers would at least put the debate about growth to rest.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/dc_e.html
craftsman wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 2:12 pm
You are mistaken if you think they are the worse ones... They may be to you but your justification isn't seen in the market place at large - at least not yet.

Everyone who likes mirrorless talks about market share and how it's improving but yet no-one has put forward numbers to counter the industry, CIPA, info graphic I posted which states that mirrorless sales have basically been flat since 2013 (ranging from 3 million to 3.2 million units)... heck, an argument can be made that the total sales of mirrorless has been trending DOWN from it's peak in 2015. I would like to see your numbers that point to growth at a health pace and don't point to Canon's last quarter results as it's mirrorless in general not one specific OEM.

You can't necessarily compare the top end of the market (and price range) for one product and spread that over the entire market - ie just because one $3,500 camera body has good results doesn't mean the whole line of products in that category will have similar results. This especially true when you look at the OP's original query - a consumer level product to take on holidays... a $3,500 camera body for most people is not a consumer level product.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1665 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hdom wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 2:56 am
Just checked the same CIPA source, latest numbers from the "Non-Reflect" catalogue in 2017, isn't flat lining the way it was in previous years, however.

Ie. July chart shows they are already tracking at ~160% production & worldwide shipment compared to "same period a year ago". Anyway, hope the numbers would at least put the debate about growth to rest.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/dc_e.html
Actually, it doesn't. If you know anything about statistics, one data point that is different from the trend doesn't invalidate a trend. You need at least two or more data points especially if you are trying to drastically change an existing trend comprised of multiple data points. So, before you declare a drastic change in the trend, you should wait until this data point is complete and collect at least one more to validate the change.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6745 posts
970 upvotes
They are already at 2.4 mil production in July, 17' compared to 1.5 mil in July, 16'. They will likely break the 3.0~3.2 mill range of previous years by all indications, the data has shown the upward since Jan, you can check the points from every month leading to July.
craftsman wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:51 am
Actually, it doesn't. If you know anything about statistics, one data point that is different from the trend doesn't invalidate a trend. You need at least two or more data points especially if you are trying to drastically change an existing trend comprised of multiple data points. So, before you declare a drastic change in the trend, you should wait until this data point is complete and collect at least one more to validate the change.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I often bring my Canon 5DIV on vacation but here is my preference again, iPhone vids. There's a few dlsr images at the end of this (and a few others I didn't include I can print) but it brings us back better than stills, and easy enough to share them in our social circles.

Cruise vid earlier in the year I've posted on RFD before:

Sep 4, 2016
481 posts
121 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:25 pm
I often bring my Canon 5DIV on vacation but here is my preference again, iPhone vids. There's a few dlsr images at the end of this (and a few others I didn't include I can print) but it brings us back better than stills, and easy enough to share them in our social circles.

Cruise vid earlier in the year I've posted on RFD before:

Really nice video! Which action cam did you shoot that with and did you use it on a gimbal?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 10:07 pm
Really nice video! Which action cam did you shoot that with and did you use it on a gimbal?
No action cam, it's iPhone 7 Plus 4K, mostly gimbal, some handheld. I edited the cruise one on our way home with the iMovie app, incredibly no lag on the phone.
I adapted the style from the Hero5 Karma ad, and you can do the same with an action cam if you want.

You can make them cinematic too, but for me it's just home video, I'm not going to put that much work into it.

Sep 4, 2016
481 posts
121 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 11:36 pm
No action cam, it's iPhone 7 Plus 4K, mostly gimbal, some handheld. I edited the cruise one on our way home with the iMovie app, incredibly no lag on the phone.
I adapted the style from the Hero5 Karma ad, and you can do the same with an action cam if you want.

You can make them cinematic too, but for me it's just home video, I'm not going to put that much work into it.

Crazy, I didn't know that ip7 could shoot video that good. I thought it was a Sony action cam that you used. IMO, it looks like the ip7 shoots much better video than 95% of the generic cheap action cams out there today.

Which gimbal did you use?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11013 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
catoun wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 1:09 pm
Not everybody uses their DSLR's intensively for many reasons : people give up on photography, early equipment upgrade,...
You can find used cameras with less than 5000 or even less 1000 than shutter counts on the market.
+1 I buy a lot of used equipment, and unless it has been used professionally, shutter count will almost certainly be below 20,000. Very common to see used equipment with shutter count below 10K especially if you are buying from a newbie.

To the OP: I would not recommend a DSLR as a vacation camera, as it's bulky and complicated.. you're doing things backwards, keep the bulky DSLR for use in your home city, and get something very simple, small and light for vacation use.